Depths of Space - Original Setting

Savinien

As some of you may be aware, I'm building a Campaign Setting for Star Hero. I'll not admit to be egotistical enough to think anyone here would ever choose to use my setting as their own. Therefore, I'll likely not be converting it to pdf or the like. Still, I like to share ideas and brainstorm with the Hero-philes.

These are the pertinent threads to this setting. Read at your leisure and feel free to comment where you will. Instead of going on with the other threads, I'm hoping to conglomerate and continue questions in here.

Dinosaur Planet - http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35485

Building tech for an original setting -

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37437

I am an idiot -

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37414

Current Campaigns

Current DoS campaigns -

Crashlanding! - What happens when a scuttle pilot falls through the Voltron Cone?

Revolution - On New Ganna, the United New Ganna Force (UNGF) keeps the peace. A they're a hired army by a comglomerate of mega corporations on Ganna, the colonies are an ugly place. Two men travel the Hub dealing with life as it comes.

DoS: Crashlanding!

The scuttle pilot, Tarka Ulnos is lost during a seemingly routine trip from New Ganna to Ganna. The Mag-Couplers along the entire train become compromised and while trying to save the Cargo Boxes, Tarka falls through the Voltron Cone.

She crashlands on an unknown planet in an unknown system and tries to survive.

Current Write-up:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=862736&postcount=65

DoS Timeline

Distant History - Long before current times, two people came to power among all the peoples of Ganna. They are the UPP and the Valduvians.

130 Years Ago - A Perdan craft landed on the moon and a Gannan, Slavos Dar walked on the surface.

100 Years Ago - First Fusion plant online

75 Years Ago - First Offworld Base manned on Ganna's Primary Satellite

50 Years Ago - Deepspace scope online

45 Years Ago - Green Planet found orbiting Kali

30 Years Ago - Vultron FTL first tested

25 Years Ago - FTL Conflict averted by Unified Ganna Forces

22 Years Ago - First successful FTL flight returns from Kali System

20 Years Ago - UGF Spacenaughts land on New Ganna

15 Years Ago - New Perda and Neo Valduvia Founded on New Ganna

6 Years Ago - First battles of the Colony Wars take place

2 Years Ago - The Spire become the seat of UNGF on New Ganna and Peaceful New Ganna Treaty signed by all colonies on New Ganna

This thing is just off the top of my head. It will likely require a lot of work, yet.

Brainstorming - Cross Genre

Yesterday/Last Night - I pondered going a little off the beaten track and set-up a short-lived scenario with a couple character either on New Ganna, or the Homeworld, Ganna.

Using the Night of the Living Dead Hero website, I contemplated having scientists in one of the Colonies having let loose a virus that creates a Resident Evil or Night of the Living Dead situation.

My question... Would this cross-genre expirement hurt the overall concept of the campaign setting? Adding that horror element could change the tone/theme of the entire setting and shift the concept of the players.

Crashlanding! - The 'fantasy/lost world' theme of this campaign may also do this. I'm planning on initiating the first 'alien' species during the run of this campaign, the Sauriel.

The Sauriel are a 'fallen' society that once traversed the stars, even creating FTL. They weren't much for involving themselves with species on planets but, did create a few colonies themselves (all failed by this time).

The Sauriel are an ancient race that nearly eradicated themselves on their Homeworld. They live now as barabric tribes on Mogg IV, a very lowly poulated planet in the Mogg system. Their ancient civilization has been buried beneath the massive waters of Mogg (think Atlantis) and 99.9999% of their current population knows nothing of their past.

They have a sort of psionics that they see as shamanic magic.

My question is whether or not treating it as magic will remove the 'sci-fi' feel of the setting. It seems and is built game-mechanically as magic. But, the theory behind the SFX is Psionics.

I've rambled enough for a single post. Please add any thoughts/suggestions/comments that meet your fancy.

Re: Depths of Space - Original Setting

New Ganna

On the topography of New Ganna:

New Ganna is a fairly large planet in a binary star system. It orbits happily along the green zone of the Alpha Star in the system. At this point, New Ganna has a fairly large belt of volcanic mountains along a major land mass.

The Western side of this range, is quite arid and a desert of volcanic ash has been created in the last millenia. The hard rock well beneath hundreds of feet of ash is ripe for strip mining for the Gannans. The volvcanic range has seemingly steadily moved south along the massive range of mountains.

Weather fronts from the Ocean of New Ganna work west and topple back when reaching the volcanic mountain range. It is in this area that Gannan colonies have sprouted for food sources for the rest of the Hub.

At the northern edge of the active volcanoes, an extinct volcano capped itself. The active volcanoes march along southward, adding the much needed ash to the west and just enough fertility to the lands to the East. Here is where the spire arcs into the air. And from it, the strands of the Hub's web arc towards colonies on either side, mining to the West, within the Ashlands and farmer and rancher to the East within the Farmlands.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: DoS: Crashlanding!

The scuttle pilot, Tarka Ulnos is lost during a seemingly routine trip from New Ganna to Ganna. The Mag-Couplers along the entire train become compromised and while trying to save the Cargo Boxes, Tarka falls through the Voltron Cone.

She crashlands on an unknown planet in an unknown system and tries to survive.

Current Write-up:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=862736&postcount=65

We played last night!!

I decided to add another player to this campaign, but keep my overall mega-plot and theme. The best way to do this is have the other player control a Sauriel character. I couldn't decide whether he should be Slaviseh (shaman), or a dupe of the Slavishe. So, I left it up to the player. He chose the dupe and made a Sauriel warrior caste character.

Having a player play one of these helped me figure out what I needed to help flesh out the character some more. But, I had a problem. By not taking a slavishe, he didn't have the psionic/magic of the Shaman. So, I improvised. Deciding to unveil the living crystal ahead of time. But, I didn't explain it further than Vrelklos (the Sauriel Warrior) had to have the No-Tail touch the opaque, white rock at the same time he was. Then, they could speak mind to mind, as the Slavishe do.

There is so much to comment, I'm holding off until next week.

• 1 month later...

I added the rest of the 2nd session write-up today. I didn't proofread much, so deal.

We're planning on playing the next installment tomorrow night. I'm expecting a lot of inter-party interaction between the two. Gannans have never found another sapient race and now, Tarka Ulnos seems to have made that startling discovery. I'm curious to see how the players react to each other.

I'm also considering the foils of returning to the Slavishe. I'd hinted briefly about the flying dangers of the Savannah and haven't decided what they are. I'm waffling between a massive Roc-like mammal or a separate species of Sauriel riding winged pteradactyls.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a bad suggestion, but I don't have Adobe Acrobat. Maybe I'll see if anyone would like to help with that portion of the project.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what you're answering here.

I could help you put it into Adobe, although given a bit of time to research the solutions, you'd likely find it's easy for you to do as well. Adobe.com offers a few free document conversions where they'll PDF any Word document via an online forum. Worked well for me when I did it. I also use PrimoPDF, as it just saves docs as PDF files.

Still, I'm sure that the layout formats that people on these boards have brought up would be the best solution. I myself am toying with the idea of offering my really crappy science fiction setting as a PDF, if not for any other reason than it's an easier medium to deliver in than a website.

• 1 month later...

Time for an update! The Revolution! campaign has never gotten off the ground. Mostly due to my own ineptitude than anything else. At this point, I'm considering a new campaign at Hero Central with a small, select group of players I trust to help me with fleshing out the DoS setting.