Inspirational Writing and Meme Creation

Steve

Throughout history there have been ideas that have changed people and societies. And these writings persist, affecting people years or even thousands of years after the original author is dead. Religious texts are one source, but so are the writings of ancient Greek philosophers or the likes of Karl Marx or even Adolph Hitler. Their words have the power to spread memes (any piece of information passed from one mind to another) into society and change those societies, for good or ill.

Consider a Fantasy Hero campaign where a new religion arises and begins to spread, threatening the established theocracy. Or a political movement begins to spread through the worlds of a Star Hero campaign. How would you model such a meme in Hero terms? Mind Control is too short-term, so that leaves a type of Transform. Reading something like the Necronomicon can Tranform a person into an evil cultist, determined to bring about the return of the Old Ones. Likewise, the words of a particularly charismatic politician could sweep a new government into power, through an election in the case of democratic forms or a coup in the case of a monarchy.

How would you model a meme?

Re: Inspirational Writing and Meme Creation

Transform (add some Psych Lim of some kind), continuous, uncontrollable, 0 END, sticky, cumulative, based on ECV...

I would have to have some kind of defence to any particular meme and some way to break it (like transform requires) but this would seem to have the desired effect.

I think possibly enhanced (extra dice) by presence of appropriate foci (books, video, etc).

Doc

When it comes to massive social changes I tend to leave Game Terms and Mechanics way way behind.

if you just want the Zombie Cult effect then Transform (Mind) to add a Psych Lim of "Obeys New God" or some such works.

Otherwise this is really part of the story and game.

When it comes to massive social changes I tend to leave Game Terms and Mechanics way way behind.

if you just want the Zombie Cult effect then Transform (Mind) to add a Psych Lim of "Obeys New God" or some such works.

Otherwise this is really part of the story and game.

For some things it is nice to watch things appear on the characters' sheets and demand that they play them until they are able to find the answer (and cure).

Otherwise there is stuff that I prefer to sweep across the campaign world with a hand of god....

I guess I view a meme concept to be so beyond the control or even intent of the originator, that I am having a tough time perceiving it as a directed or triggered event. But then I had the same problem with Asimov's contention that future events could be predicted and tracked by anything resembling a science.

That being said, I too would have to go along with transform, perhaps with Unntrolled or Side Effects applicable.

Are sure you don't just want to make it a GM Focus, i.e. Plot Device?:D