Simple Killing

Legendsmiths

Re: Simple Killing

The fatal flaw (if you'll pardon the pun) of making Killing a +0 Advantage has already been mentioned: What player in his right mind wouldn't opt to bypass all or most of a target's defenses (as you would if only rDEF apply) for free? To be at all workable' date=' Killing as an Advantage needs to cost a [i']minimum[/i] of +½ (Putting on a par with Armor Piercing or Penetrating); and +¾ or +1 is more likely the correct cost for this Advantage.

If all you want is bloodier games then caps on defenses, particularly Resistant defenses, seem far less damaging to the system.

I'm pretty up on the benifits of K vs. N damage attacts... the HERO System as it stands doesn't choose to comment on this, for whatever reason... and I'm comfortable with that silence, for right now.

Concerning Players choosing K over N for their attacks: That is a matter of the GM imparting SFX concepts as he envisions them translated into system mechanics. Maybe "HERO-ala carte" is not the best type of game, and a more regimented building-block version would be better. I know I like it better, most of the time. The UNTIL:SPDB is a great reference... as are the Grimoires.

For the game I'm putting together (a Sword and Planet fantasy sci-fi), I'm going to have a hell of a time keeping the Players alive, without arbitrarily assigning Meta-Game resistant defenses; and it's bugging me. I think the game is plenty lethal, as is.

1=1

2=2

3=3

4=4

5=3

6=3

seems simplest.

d6-2 imposes a limitation (-1 SM) on the KA for no point savings. This seems appropriate only if you believe the KA is presently underpriced.

It is underpriced.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks "Isn't that what we've been talking about all week?"

It is underpriced.

In your opinion.

In my experience, it has not unbalanced the game at all, however I attribute this as much to players who play the genre, rather than the statistics, as to a lack of any issue with the stun lotto.

If one eliminates the STUN lotto (curbs its excesses may bbe a better description) while maintaining the same average STUN and BOD totals, the same knockback, etc. (as many fix suggestions have attempted to do), and I believe you bring the KA into balance. It is only the ability to occasionally get massive STUN in a single shot that, in my experience, really causes a problem with KA's.