Where did the idea that Bricks are usually slow come from?

Niles

Re: Where did the idea that Bricks are usually slow come from?

Well Mike, I do believe that we are in agreement that there is no one formula that will solve all the problems that may develop in the game. However this rule of four sounds a lot like a formula. (a customary or set form or method.)

The point that I was trying to make about Ego Attacks was just not about their frequency but their overall usefulness in comparison to an Energy Blast. I tend not just to look at damage vs defense when I think of powers. When I think of combat, yes, but my game is a lot more than just combat. There is a lot more to consider than any one method or formula will be able to encompass. Now the formula I use is to modulate the players but to allow them to feel that they have variety and to figure out what is important to the individual player. If someone likes to cause a lot of damage then they build that way. If someone wants to be speedier and more accurate then they build that way. As I said before: a measure of control, not complete control.

But a formula does not take away your role as a GM for the purpose of making sure that the game is balanced. I do not use it for that. Some characters will be more effective than other ones. Sometimes it's the powers but I find that most times it is the player behind the powers.

Thank you for sharing your Rule of Four.

Well, Rule of Four is not a formula in the true sense of the word where you're applying a convention of, say "SPD x DC must not exceed a certain number". There are no "hard numbers" involved the way the Rule of X sidebar clearly implies. I've played in campaigns with SPD x DC caps, for instance and even tried running them, but I've had much more success with the Rule of Four. Not everyone likes it though because it tends to keep the top end of the power scale much lower than some people like it, but I find that campaigns run better if you do - at least when it comes to the people I play with.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if one thing is going to hold true it is that some players are always going to want more power. At least I know longer have players that shout "Why not?" When I tell them no. The funny thing is that even the players that would ask why not knew exactly why not. Happy Gaming.

Quote:

As to your second point, I have been playing Champions since the second edition, as maybe you have too. I do not recall there ever being a huge difference in the damage dice of bricks compared to other characters.

I agree that the base damage dice of bricks and other characters were similar if the character point totals were also similar. However, the haymaker did 1.5x normal damage at least through Champs 3 (I don't have v4, so I can't speak to it). There was no similar damage increase mechanism for energy blasters or mentalists. The martial kick was rather impressive though with a x2 modifier. Of course martial arts were more expensive then too (cost = character's STR). This would make bricks more capable of big honkin' attacks for the same points.