Powers that Cover a Base

Super Squirrel

Re: Powers that Cover a Base

If I understand the questions right, you essentially want to design a spell that has "AOE 1 building" regardless of how big the building is. Right?

If that is the case, then I might consider it, but I would probably be more likely to buy a standard AOE radius power with a custom limit that it can only affect one building, probably at -1/2.

I thought this was covered in the Base Powers section, but if it is I can't find it (at least not in FREd... mabye 5er has clarifications I don't know about)

From waht I read tho, the default is to consider the base a character, so by that model AOE wouldn't be needed... just UAA or UBO. Doesn't feel quite right to me tho.

I'd probably go with a partially limited MegaScale AOE 1 hex... if your setting has a lot of buildings bigger than 1 KM across, then maybe go to full AOE Megascale instead, in either case partially limited to "only effects one building". I might also require the extra +1/4 to be able to scale the megascale.. really depends on the effect and how game breaking it is

UOO has a provision for use against objects, based on Mass.

5ER, pg274 has the rules for using UOO based on Mass, it starts at 100kg and doubles for every +1/4 you add to the UOO Advantage. You need merely buy a large enough multiplier and you're good to go as it still only affects 1 Object.

I would go that route.

UOO has a provision for use against objects, based on Mass.

5ER, pg274 has the rules for using UOO based on Mass, it starts at 100kg and doubles for every +1/4 you add to the UOO Advantage. You need merely buy a large enough multiplier and you're good to go as it still only affects 1 Object.

I would go that route.

This seems awfully clunky. 1. Physical buildings are fairly hard to eyeball by wait, 2. Buildings tend to be very heavy.

It would work quite nicely when applying it to character usable equipment or even most vehicles (though ships, both space and ocean going, would again get into the very heavy area). For bases though, this seems to be a bit overly complicated.

TB

Normally you can't change the area covered by a Power except by scaling back the Active Points used as a whole, so actually confining the area to the outline of a building can be an advantage in some ways. I would just make this a -0 (or maybe -1/4) modifier on the cost of Area of Effect and be done with it.

Normally you can't change the area covered by a Power except by scaling back the Active Points used as a whole' date=' so actually confining the area to the outline of a building can be an advantage in some ways. I would just make this a -0 (or [i']maybe[/i] -1/4) modifier on the cost of Area of Effect and be done with it.

Or use the Any Area AoE option. You could get away with a smaller hex print than a large radius possibly.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a suggestion where someone will have to duck (me :D):

What about using Transform (Base without to base with power). As I understand it, any power that a base has affect everyone in it anyway. Just make sure that the transform only last as long as the spell lasts.