Passing the Torch Power

gmurie

This is a common one in comics. The set of powers that pass on from one person to another. There was a character like this in 3rd ed Dark Champions that I thought was incredibly cool. The "character" was a suit called Vengance if I remember rightly. It copied the skills and memories of each person that wore it, and acted on the vengeful impulses of each person.

Anyhoo, here's the power so I can keep it from pingponging around in my head:

6d6 Major Transform into the "Torchbearer" (90 Active points), Healed by transformee Transforming someone else, All or Nothing(-1/2), Limited Target - Unpowered Human (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), 1 Charge (-2), Side Effect - Loses all "Torchbearer" powers and limitations if victim successfully transformed(-2)

Real Cost: 14 points or less

Optional Limitations

- Gradual Effect

- No Concious Control

This is of course a power for NPCs, but it gives you something in the stats to show to rules lawyers. Mostly I did this because my brain hates me.

Re: Passing the Torch Power

If I were to try to stat this ability out - rather than just leave it as a Special Effect/GM's Fiat - that's the approach I would take. I would suggest looking at a larger Transform, though, since you'll probably want to add a lot of Powers to the recipient, not the least of them being the ability to pass this gift on to someone else. OTOH since this sort of effect is normally a career ending (if not life ending) action on the part of a hero, you'd be justified in adding "Never Recovers" to the Charge Limitation, for an additional -2.

BTW the Dark Champions character was called Purge, from Underworld Enemies. The Purge identity was taken up by whoever wore a suit of "psychically active" high-tech armor which was drawn to people desiring revenge. It brought with it a set of enhanced Characteristics, Skills and other abilities, all bought with the Independent Limitation reflecting that the abilities of the armor were not connected to whoever wore it, and that eventually the Purge armor would be lost when the character was captured or killed until another would-be avenger found it.

BTW the Dark Champions character was called Purge, from Underworld Enemies. The Purge identity was taken up by whoever wore a suit of "psychically active" high-tech armor which was drawn to people desiring revenge. It brought with it a set of enhanced Characteristics, Skills and other abilities, all bought with the Independent Limitation reflecting that the abilities of the armor were not connected to whoever wore it, and that eventually the Purge armor would be lost when the character was captured or killed until another would-be avenger found it.

That was the one. If ever there were a Champions character that deserved to be made into a comic book that was it. It was just so damn cool.

The charge has to be recoverable, because if the "Torchbearer" fails to transform someone then he has to get the charge back so he can have another shot at passing the power on. The side effect would eliminate the Transform along with all the other powers and limitations.

That was the one. If ever there were a Champions character that deserved to be made into a comic book that was it. It was just so damn cool.

I agree. Kind of like a grittier version of Marvel's "Captain Universe" miniseries - each story arc can feature a different wearer of the armor, with his or her own unique background and motivations.

The charge has to be recoverable' date=' because if the "Torchbearer" fails to transform someone then he has to get the charge back so he can have another shot at passing the power on. The side effect would eliminate the Transform along with all the other powers and limitations.[/quote']

Well, that's one reason why I would personally make it GM's fiat. ;) In the comics a scenario like this just never "fails." Keep in mind, though, that the power isn't likely to be given to someone who's already superhuman, so said recipient shouldn't have any Power Defense and his BODY score likely won't be too high.

You could either make the Transform large enough that one Standard Effect roll would guarantee enough points of effect to pass the power on (I should think at least 10d6); or make the Charge Continuing lasting long enough to affect any target, so you can get by with a smaller Transform (using your 6d6 suggestion, 1 Turn should be enough in most cases). Either way would let you use Never Recovers.

You should go to your local comic shop and search the old issues for copies of !mpact's Black Hood comic from the early '90s. It's a pretty similar idea.

• 5 years later...

You should go to your local comic shop and search the old issues for copies of !mpact's Black Hood comic from the early '90s. It's a pretty similar idea.

Renegade got his powers from his father, Captain Thunder, right? So, what powers did Captain Thunder have (sounds like an obvious powerset I know), but we only see Renegade having the standard brick set up (high STR, durability, etc).