Defending your base against EMP and other magnetic attacks...

Dholcrist

Hi all, I don't post often, but just had a quick question. My team's mansion/base (Legion-X is basically our version of the X-Men) was recently destroyed by a much maligned "master of magnetism" who used a localized EMP to destroy our security system before completely ripping it apart, piece by piece, and dropping the UNTIL helicarrier (yeah, we stole one from SHIELD) ontop of it. I've been looking through the rules, and was wondering what the best way of shielding all systems from EMP attacks, and how I would construct the base from non-ferrous materials in game terms.

Sorry if this has been covered before, couldn't find it doing searches. Any help at all is appreciated (as are any and all criticisms), thanks everyone.

Re: Defending your base against EMP and other magnetic attacks...

The first thing you have to do is define how the EMP Attack works - then build the defense by reverse engineering that.

So, how did you define the localized EMP?

If you used a Drain or Suppress then you'll want Power DEF: vs EMP Attacks Only. or something similar.

Actually it was defined as a Dispel: all electricity powers (20d6 I believe' date=' could be wrong though). Thanks for the quick reply, ghost.[/quote']

In that case, you'll want to purchase "Difficult to Dispel" (a +1/4 Advantage) on your base's key systems.

Keep in mind that your GM might want to have the ability, storywise, to short out your base in a believable way, so you might want to purchase the Advantage with something like:

OIF (Surge Protector) or something like that. It'll save points, and ensure that your base is protected--while still leaving your GM an opening to use if part of the story demands an attack upon your base.

Difficult to Dispel is an excellent route - it will protect your equipment nicely, but still give a chance it can be overloaded.

Another method you could use is Power Defense (which is the DEF for Dispels) Only vs EMP (-1/2) - I'm assuming EMP are moderately common in the setting, if they are rare bump the Limitation up a bit. The trick is then buying enough Power Def to deflect an incoming attack.

Don't know how I missed the Difficult to Dispel advantage. Thanks a ton guys, appreciate all of your input. Normally I wouldn't worry so much about our base being destroyed (not terribly uncommon), but this time about half of our team (all NPC's, fortunately) were killed in the ensuing chaos.

Thanks again guys, you've been a huge help.

In the real world to protect against EMP, gallium arsenide is used instead of silicon for the basis of computer chips, transitors and diodes...

If you want to learn more about protecting against EMP test your Google-Fu by searching the terms TEMPEST and EMP...