Narnia Mini Review, Cross Posted from NGD

OddHat

Narnia Review

Quick Review:

It’s a kid’s movie with no sense of humor, but it’s a good kids movie. If you’re OK with that, go see it. You’ll have fun.

More Detail:

Overall Mrs. OddHat and I liked it. The girl playing Lucy and the boy playing Edmund were exceptionally good, Tilda Swinton was very good as the witch queen, and the other actors were adequate. The talking animals were done as well as they possibly could have been, the effects were on the whole excellent, and the movie was faithful to the book.

It was a book for children. This is a movie where Father Christmas shows up and all the blood and death is off camera (though sometimes just off camera). Beavers, horses, big cats, wolves and lions talk. If any of that is a problem, you will not like this film.

The worst thing I would say about this film is that, as a fan of the books, it was not as grand as the Narnia of my imagination. Aslan did not fill me with awe and love; he was just a talking lion. The witch queen never frightened me, nor did she draw my sympathy. There was no sense of real menace, of real danger. Nothing really bad was going to happen to the children, or at least nothing irreversible.

That said, there were some very memorable scenes, settings, and moments here. I’m glad we saw it, and I’ll be taking my nieces and nephews at the next opportunity. Narnia isn’t what it might have been, but for what it is, it’s worth seeing.

Re: Narnia Mini Review, Cross Posted from NGD

I haven't seen either the BBC or cartoon version, so I cannot comment on that. What I can say is that the movie is a good fantasy movie. It tries really hard to be a great fantasy movie, but it fails. There were some scenes with some true wonderment in them and even a pretty freaky scene towards the end. There was just too much that was not explained (I never read the books) and Oddhat's statement about the lack of any true suspense or danger is accurate and left the movie feeling a little flat for me.

That's okay. Good fantasy movies are still pretty rare' date=' IMO. Plenty of crap though.[/quote']Oh, don't get me wrong. I advocate the movie to anyone who will listen. You are right. There are so few good fantasy movies. I just think that, with just a little bit more screen time, it could have been a better movie. Of course that is making the assumption that any extra screen time would have been put to good use.

Oh' date=' don't get me wrong. I advocate the movie to anyone who will listen. You are right. There are so few good fantasy movies. I just think that, with just a little bit more screen time, it could have been a better movie. Of course that is making the assumption that any extra screen time would have been put to good use.[/quote']

Quite a large assumption in today's Hollywood.