On The Fringes Of Invisibility

Dust Raven

After talking to some people about Invisibility (on and off the boards), a thought occured to me. How often is the Fringe enforced/used that comes with standard Invisbility?

From what I can gather, it's not so much as something that is ignored, but rather forgotten about during play. Your character turns Invisible and dashes down the street and no one thinks to have a bystandard roll PER to notice something pass by rather close perhaps. Things like this (this exact example actually) have happened to me more than once.

I'm wondering is things like this happen with other players or if the few people I've mentioned it to so far are the only ones. Also, what other, rather important, rules do you all tend to accidentally forget about?

Re: On The Fringes Of Invisibility

I"m sure we forget all sorts of things .. as for Invisibility - I have one character with a Ghost Shape and Invisible: Hearing Group with the Fringe still on. The idea is the character can make no sound, except when they move you always hearing an odd rushing of wind or such - or the distant padding of paws (it's a wolf shape) approaching. And it's never once come up in play. Ah well.

I dunno, I think the groups I've played with all haven't liked to have fringy invisible characters, they all, I think, have bought fully invisible characters, and I tend to nearly all the time. I only posted upon reflection of the question that raises - is this unusual?

Guest daeudi_454

I usually see it ran like in the movie. The fringe only comes into play when the invisible character is up close, and at a moment of high tension. But I have seen a martial artist fight a fringed character. it got annoying-

Roll for PER, roll to hit, Roll for PER, are you going to abort? Roll for PER, roll to hit...

I usually see it ran like in the movie. The fringe only comes into play when the invisible character is up close, and at a moment of high tension. But I have seen a martial artist fight a fringed character. it got annoying-

Roll for PER, roll to hit, Roll for PER, are you going to abort? Roll for PER, roll to hit...

I had a situation like that a year or so ago versus an Invisible ninja (with no Fringe) and one with Danger Sense (bought to obsene levels). Mister Danger Sense always made his roll by half and not only kept his DCV at full, was able to defense by dodging and blocking. His problem was he couldn't accurately strike back. It really frustrated the ninja.

My experiences are similar to zornwil's... I don't recall a PC that had a fringe effect... it was always invisibility with no fringe...

As a GM, I have created a couple of NPCs that have cloaking fields... sort of the Predator effect that Manic Typist mentioned... that I defined as invisibility with a fringe...

Actually, while this can be complicated... I really like it. Plus "Roll perception roll or you are at half or zero DCV" which makes things quite tense in combat... or allows Combat Sense to shine... or whatever.

We haven't had a ton of Invisible characters... and those that did use it rarely had it built as a combat power... more of a sneak and infiltrate... then when they went combat, other powers took up the slot or whatever. When it has come into effect in combat... I guess it is usually rare enough that we don't forget the fringe if they have it. Then we play it out as daeudi above notes.