Plot Seeds: The 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts

Karmakaze

The 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts (I didn't quote all ten.)

The Grooved Spheres

Over the last few decades, miners in South Africa have been digging up mysterious metal spheres. Origin unknown, these spheres measure approximately an inch or so in diameter, and some are etched with three parallel grooves running around the equator. Two types of spheres have been found: one is composed of a solid bluish metal with flecks of white; the other is hollowed out and filled with a spongy white substance. The kicker is that the rock in which they where found is Precambrian - and dated to 2.8 billion years old! Who made them and for what purpose is unknown.

The Dropa Stones

In 1938, an archeological expedition led by Dr. Chi Pu Tei into the Baian-Kara-Ula mountains of China made an astonishing discovery in some caves that had apparently been occupied by some ancient culture. Buried in the dust of ages on the cave floor were hundreds of stone disks. Measuring about nine inches in diameter, each had a circle cut into the center and was etched with a spiral groove, making it look for all the world like some ancient phonograph record some 10,000 to 12,000 years old. The spiral groove, it turns out, is actually composed of tiny hieroglyphics that tell the incredible story of spaceships from some distant world that crash-landed in the mountains. The ships were piloted by people who called themselves the Dropa, and the remains of whose descendents, possibly, were found in the cave.

The Antikythera Mechanism

A perplexing artifact was recovered by sponge-divers from a shipwreck in 1900 off the coast of Antikythera, a small island that lies northwest of Crete. The divers brought up from the wreck a great many marble and and bronze statues that had apparently been the ship's cargo. Among the findings was a hunk of corroded bronze that contained some kind of mechanism composed of many gears and wheels. Writing on the case indicated that it was made in 80 B.C., and many experts at first thought it was an astrolabe, an astronomer's tool. An x-ray of the mechanism, however, revealed it to be far more complex, containing a sophisticated system of differential gears. Gearing of this complexity was not known to exist until 1575! It is still unknown who constructed this amazing instrument 2,000 years ago or how the technology was lost.

The Coso Artifact

While mineral hunting in the mountains of California near Olancha during the winter of 1961, Wallace Lane, Virginia Maxey and Mike Mikesell found a rock, among many others, that they thought was a geode - a good addition for their gem shop. Upon cutting it open, however, Mikesell found an object inside that seemed to be made of white porcelain. In the center was a shaft of shiny metal. Experts estimated that it should have taken about 500,000 years for this fossil-encrusted nodule to form, yet the object inside was obviously of sophisticated human manufacture. Further investigation revealed that the porcelain was surround by a hexagonal casing, and an x-ray revealed a tiny spring at one end. Some who have examined the evidence say it looks very much like a modern-day spark plug. How did it get inside a 500,000-year-old rock?

Re: Plot Seeds: The 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts

One theory for the stone balls of Costa Rica is they are volcanic in origin, but I'm not sure how the perfect spheroid was explained.

Here is some Wikipedia Links on the subjects:

Realize, of course, the one should never let the truth get in the way of a good Pulp Adventure:

Dropa (Stones): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropa_stones

Ica Stones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ica_stones

Antikythera Mechanism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Baghdad Battery (or Batteries): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

There's a book out there right now that extensively covers OOPs (Out-Of-Place artifacts), as well as the to be expected Atlantean/Space Gods connection, but I can't remember the title right now, sorry. You might find it in the history or archaeology area of your larger chain bookstores.

Myself, I always loved the 'vast stone chamber' with a 'longhouse' supposedly discovered at the bottom of a PA mineshaft. Were the dero planning to conquer Scranton before heading for NYC?

There's a book out there right now that extensively covers OOPs (Out-Of-Place artifacts), as well as the to be expected Atlantean/Space Gods connection, but I can't remember the title right now, sorry. You might find it in the history or archaeology area of your larger chain bookstores.

Myself, I always loved the 'vast stone chamber' with a 'longhouse' supposedly discovered at the bottom of a PA mineshaft. Were the dero planning to conquer Scranton before heading for NYC?

Do you think that you could find out that title some time soon ? Pretty please ! ("St Barbara" does "cute doe eyed puppy dog impresion) I do have one book on "mysterious objects" "The World's Most Mysterious Objects" by Lionel & Patricia Fanthorpe (Hounslow Books, 2202) Interesting, but not very detailed. I am always on the lookout for more books of this nature !

One theory for the stone balls of Costa Rica is they are volcanic in origin, but I'm not sure how the perfect spheroid was explained.

Here is some Wikipedia Links on the subjects:

Realize, of course, the one should never let the truth get in the way of a good Pulp Adventure:

Dropa (Stones): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropa_stones

Ica Stones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ica_stones

Antikythera Mechanism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Baghdad Battery (or Batteries): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

I just had a thought on nearly perfect round stones. I have also read that they could be made with stone tools.

Lead shot was often made by pouring molten lead through a sieve in the top of a tower, there is water in the bottom to catch them. If a glob of molten stone were blasted into the air "JUST RIGHT" perhaps it could cool in a roughly spherical shape while in the air, then be caught by water or some such.

OTOH, aren't many of these stones 10 feet across? I doubt there would be enough time in anything short of an orbital shot for a mass of stone that large to cool to a solid. Then there would be the thermal shock when it hit water... Perhaps it could land in deep sand or some such?

oh well. Interesting thought.

I'll follow the links, because I remeber reading Von Daniken as a kid, and the thought of "FRAUD" on some things springs to mind. :(

THough they are all still interesting.

Another anachronism I have read about involved iirc a stone quarry in Britain.

A crew cut through a layer of stone, to find a layer of sand. When they cleared the sand away, the supposedly found a heavy wood bench, and stone tools. Other than the materials, the tools were functionally identical to the ones they were using themselves...

I suppose it could have been something like a mine that was later abandoned because a change in the path of a waterway filled it with sand.

I love this kind of stuff!

Do you think that you could find out that title some time soon ? Pretty please ! ("St Barbara" does "cute doe eyed puppy dog impresion) I do have one book on "mysterious objects" "The World's Most Mysterious Objects" by Lionel & Patricia Fanthorpe (Hounslow Books' date=' [b']2202[/b]) Interesting, but not very detailed. I am always on the lookout for more books of this nature !
{emphasis added}

If that's its copyright date, the book itself is a "mysterious object"!!

:winkgrin:

Do you think that you could find out that title some time soon ? Pretty please ! ("St Barbara" does "cute doe eyed puppy dog impresion) I do have one book on "mysterious objects" "The World's Most Mysterious Objects" by Lionel & Patricia Fanthorpe (Hounslow Books' date=' 2202) Interesting, but not very detailed. I am always on the lookout for more books of this nature ![/quote']

I never could take those puppy-dog eyes...

The best I can do right now is: the first half of the title is either "Forbidden" or "Forgotten", and the last half is either "History" or "Archaeology". I wish I remembered more than that, but it's been a while since I last saw it.

I'll try looking around on Amazon and see if I can unearth more there.

Of course, one could also grab a copy of the inestimable David Hatcher Childress's Technology of the Gods, by those weird and wonderful folks at Adventure Unlimited Press.

We may need a visual on this for confirmation. :sneaky:
I am definately NOT a good enough artist to give you a visual of this ! (I failed "stick figures 101 in kindergarten). Imagine it's sort of like "Kim Possible" doing her pout, except that "St Barbara" is smaller, has short blonde hair and big blue eyes !

I never could take those puppy-dog eyes...

The best I can do right now is: the first half of the title is either "Forbidden" or "Forgotten", and the last half is either "History" or "Archaeology". I wish I remembered more than that, but it's been a while since I last saw it.

I'll try looking around on Amazon and see if I can unearth more there.

Of course, one could also grab a copy of the inestimable David Hatcher Childress's Technology of the Gods, by those weird and wonderful folks at Adventure Unlimited Press.

Once I get past christmas I will probably have a look myself !

I am definately NOT a good enough artist to give you a visual of this ! (I failed "stick figures 101 in kindergarten). Imagine it's sort of like "Kim Possible" doing her pout' date=' except that "St Barbara" is smaller, has short blonde hair and big blue eyes ![/quote']

So, you're pretty and we like much the same sort of weirdness in both our gaming and our reading... Say, you don't live anywhere close to SE Pennsylvania, do you? ;)

And to Mister Long: I'm getting seriously stoked over your Inner Earth setting.

:rockon:

So, you're pretty and we like much the same sort of weirdness in both our gaming and our reading... Say, you don't live anywhere close to SE Pennsylvania, do you? ;)

And to Mister Long: I'm getting seriously stoked over your Inner Earth setting.

:rockon:

Ah if only the "real" world was more like "Champions" ! Maybe I could be female, blonde, cute and have super powers, but alas I am male, what hair I still have is either black or grey, I don't think anyone has called me "cute" in about half a century and super powers sem to have passed me by ! But WE do seem to share a fair bit as far as gaming and reading (I also read SF/Fantasy, crime, and military history quite a bit, as well as comics) is concerned. Have a great festive season "Fenrisulf", Steve and everyone else on the boards !

Oh yes, speaking of David Hatcher Childress. Some books that I had ordered from "Adventures Unlimited Press" arrived yesterday (nicely in time for christmas !), including "Lost Continents of Atlantis, Ancient Europe and The Meditteranean" by Childress, "Reich of The Black Sun" by Joseph P Farrell , "The Lost Treasure Of King Juba" by Frank Joseph and "Dig Here !" by Thomas Penfield (on "Lost mines and buried treasure of the Southwest", of the U S A ) I'm sure that I can find something in that lot to use in my pulp campaign at some point !

Oh yes' date=' speaking of David Hatcher Childress. Some books that I had ordered from "Adventures Unlimited Press" arrived yesterday (nicely in time for christmas !), including "Lost Continents of Atlantis, Ancient Europe and The Meditteranean" by Childress, "Reich of The Black Sun" by Joseph P Farrell , "The Lost Treasure Of King Juba" by Frank Joseph and "Dig Here !" by Thomas Penfield (on "Lost mines and buried treasure of the Southwest", of the U S A ) I'm sure that I can find something in that lot to use in my pulp campaign at some point ![/quote']

Thanks for listing the titles! I've read Lost Cities of Atlatis, Ancient Europe, and the Meditteranean, and I think you'll like it.

The others -- never heard of them. Maybe you should give us a review when you get the time. But they sure sound good, esp. the ones about the Nazis (anything with Nazis is always cool. Just like superhero comics and apes) and Dig Here which I think I've read quotes from in various other books by other 'weird' authors.

Have a Merry Christmas. Oh, and er, sorry about that whole jumping to conclusions about your gender thing. :idjit::nonp:

Not a problem "FenrisUlf". When I joined the boards I happenned to choose the name of my character in the campaign that I was playing in at that time; which happenned to be female. I have had a lot of fun on the boards "masquerading' as "St Barbara" but I try to be careful to let people know from time to time that I am NOT a beautiful Danish girl with superpowers, just a middle aged Aussie GUY who likes to play RPG's and read a lot of comics, books etc ! As to WHY I picked a female character for the "Champions" campaign, well, as all the players were guys and we were asked to create different "archetypes" ("Brick", "Gadgeteer", "Magician", "Energy Projector" etc) I decided to player the "flying energy projector" and further decided that the group need a "female" character hence "St Barbara". At least one of the other players in the campaign also had a female character (The gadgeteer, "Widget") and we had fun trying to play girls. In particular "St Barbara's" background said that she was an ex er "model" and couldn't help being sexy so I played that up a bit, even asking the ref if we could have an attack while I was in the shower (or just OUT of it as "St B"'s powers don't work well in water) ,to see what the reaction would be from the rest of the players at seeing her flying around naked blasting things ! (Never happened though !):)