Different ID, Different Focus

Lucius

Not sure if I want to ask here, or go to Mr. Long for an "official" answer...

I'm working with a character concept with several powers "Only in Hero ID." He will of course have a Secret ID.

I'm thinking of giving him Kendo and using it with a bo-ken, or wooden sword

Except I'm thinking of using a high-tech collapsible type sword (not literally wood) in heroic ID, and a far less distinctive sword for those relatively rare occasions I'd use a sword at all in mundane ID (probably working out at a local dojo.) The attack would NOT of course be bought "only in Hero ID" because I would obviously be able to use it in both identities - just with different equipment.

I wouldn't need to spend the 5 pts for an "extra focus" would I? Am I overthinking things again?

I'm also considering buying a power (Armor with an activation roll - represents using the sword to block) that IS only in Hero ID, and with that focus.....normally you can't put OHID and Focus on the same power, but in this case I'm trying to A) put the power in the sword, but only in the version I carry in Heroic ID, and B) represent that if you grab the sword, I lose that extra defense.

Oh, might as well ask another question....My Heroic ID involves high-tech armor that's hard to get off even if I'm unconscious, and is too complicated to put on to be useful in a sudden crisis. It's of course hard to damage or steal, but I was wondering if it WOULD be possible to pay the 5 pts to have a "spare" just in case, like you can with a focus.

Of course, then I'd have to worry about someone stealing the spare, so it may not be worth it......

Lucius Alexander

Fast as a palindromedary

Re: Different ID, Different Focus

Is the only difference that you use a different sword in heroic vs. normal ID, not that you usually carry around 2 at once (in case something happens to one) or that the swords are functionally different in any way? Then I'd say no, you don't have to define them as separate powers or pay 5 points for more equipment. You might want to think about taking the focus lim on the attack power as an OIF - any sword, though.

For the extra armour power, you can take OAF for the specific sword that has the power (or OIF if he is too skilled to be disarmed / has it on a strap or whatever) but adding OIHID at that point is a -0 limitation. Still good for being in character though!

The armour power is built without a focus then? Is the armour built as OIHID? I wouldn't have a problem with you having a spare set of OIHID armour you keep around at home. Since it's not regular armour you can get anywhere, I'd say if it's a focus you get to pay the 5 points.

It seems most reasonable for the armor to be an OIF. The fact that you can't instantly put it on is a special effect of the armor, not really worth additional points. Besides, OIF is worth -1/2 and OIHID is -1/4, and it doesn't make much sense to get both so you're better off taking the OIF -1/2.

As for your idea of buying Armor to represent blocking with the sword, it seems to me that you should just buy Martial Block to simulate this effect. But, I sort of see what you're saying though that you minimize the damage without using up one of your phases by deflecting the incoming weapon to make a glancing blow too. In that case, perhaps you should get Armor with OAF and "Only against melee weapons". So, you can only use the sword to redirect hand weapons but not Cyclop's eye beam or a bullet or the heat from a burning house.

Oh, and I also agree that having two distinct swords shouldn't make you pay extra points for the one that's not so good. Maybe you just purchase the one "super sword" as a compound power and those effects that don't work with the regular sword could have the OIHID limitation. But, considering you're already getting OAF or OIF with the sword, the OIHID might only be worth a -0.

So, something like this perhaps:

High-Tech collapsable Kendo: (Total: 69 Active Cost, 33 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (3 1/2d6 w/STR) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 22) plus Armor (6 PD/0 ED), Only in heroic identity (+0) (9 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only against melee weapons (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus +5 DEX, Only in Heroic Identity (+0) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 7)

Different ID, Different Focus

Yeah, good point about making the sword "armor" only effective against non-ranged attacks.

As for the suit, it is OHID partly because, even if the character is knocked out, it will be hard to figure out how to get the suit off him, unlike even an inaccessible focus.

Lucius Alexander

(-: :-)

I'm with Zed-F on most of this.

If the character can use any sword around (or any sword shaped piece of wood), then the Focus could be -1/2 for OIF. But there had damn well better be a lot of swords laying around everywhere. I don't know the campiagn, but it's certainly possible. If there is a lot of sword fighting going on, should be fairly easy. I did a ronin up once that had an HKA with OIF defined as using any sword in arms reach, even if currently held by someone else. His signature move was to defeat as many foes as he could with their own swords before drawing his own.

But if there isn't a sword propped up against every doorway, mailbox and street sign, OAF would be more appropriate. There's a provision for having more than one focus that makes a Power work though. I think if you have two, and only need one of them to work the Power, then the Limitation is worth 1/4 less. So you can have OAF (needs one of two swords; -3/4). And as Zed-F suggests, you can simply make the Armor thing a specific OAF.

If none of that turns out to work, you can just define the aspects of the foci that don't change the cost. The attack is a universal focus (anyone can use it, because it's how a sword is normally used), and the Armor is a personal focus (only you can use it, because it requires special training with a certain type of sword).

Basically, OIHID doesn't need to get involved with the sword at all.

As for the armor, if you have bought it with OIHID, not only can you not buy an extra suit for 5 points, you don't need one. If you've bought it as a focus, absoluetly you can buy an extra suit. But consider this, do you carry the extra suit around with you? That's what you'll be buying for the extra 5 points. If you've spent point on the focus, you're automatically assumed to have a method of replacing it should it get stolen or destroyed. An extra suit (or thousand) at home could be the explanation for how it gets replaced between adventures (or even during adventures should you manage to get home and put one on).