Character: Red Sonya of Rogatino

Susano

Re: Character: Red Sonya of Rogatino

It seemed to be the easiest way to create the effect I needed. Either that or give her a naked Advantage usable with any HKA up to 1d6+1.

Yeah, that's the way I'd go; I've done the NPA approach numerous times.

...and I just noticed our original exchange was 7 years ago to the day. Weird thread necromancy hijinks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few questions:

1. Should a great sword have a natural OCV bonus? Official charts say that it does, http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/fantasy_hero/europeweapons.html suggests otherwise.

2. What level of training would give a +2 for a certain type of combat?

1. If you're trying to adhere to RAW, then go with the official numbers.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by level of training. Time spent? Official belt ranking? Or something else?

Duration and intensity of training. I'm reading Killershrike's site right now and I think it has the answer: the standard infantryman wouldn't have +2 CSL's but knights and janissaries could.

Gottfried so far -

STR 20

DEX 15

CON 20

BODY 12 - 13

natural PD 6

natural ED 6

INT 10

EGO 12

PRE 12

SPD 4

OCV 6

DCV 6

REC 8

END 40

STUN 32 - 33

Language: German (idiomatic)

Language: Turkish (fluent conv.)

question:

What level of training would give a +2 for a certain type of combat?

Not the best example, but consider the boot camp or police rifle range- you must qualify (Weapon Familiarity) or you are dismissed from service. If you qualify very well, you may earn a Marksman ribbon (+1 CSL), Expert (+2 CSL), or Sharpshooter (+3 or better CSL). This does not include subsequent Advanced Infantry School or Special Forces or Sniper Training or on-the-job experience. My point here is, treat everything according to its own merit, and support your assertions with facts.

Not the best example' date=' but consider the boot camp or police rifle range- you must qualify (Weapon Familiarity) or you are dismissed from service. If you qualify very well, you may earn a Marksman ribbon (+1 CSL), Expert (+2 CSL), or Sharpshooter (+3 or better CSL). This does not include subsequent Advanced Infantry School or Special Forces or Sniper Training or on-the-job experience. My point here is, treat everything according to its own merit, and support your assertions with facts.[/quote']What "facts"? The skill roll, skill level, and 3d6 bell-curve are abstractions that require the application of "real world" metrics to be measured in a practical way. Hero is malleable, and so are power levels for various genres and games. Your marksman/expert/sharpshooter metric is not inherent in the system. Its a personal metric you applied. As a result, its not a "system fact." Its a "campaign fact." There is a big difference between the two. And, its not even necessary to support a particular design with minutiae style facts like "earned x ribbon," unless that's your style of play. You could just say, "expert marksmen" and give him more skill levels than an average rifleman. It doesn't really matter.

Duration and intensity of training. I'm reading Killershrike's site right now and I think it has the answer: the standard infantryman wouldn't have +2 CSL's but knights and janissaries could.

Gottfried so far -

STR 20

DEX 15

CON 20

BODY 12 - 13

natural PD 6

natural ED 6

INT 10

EGO 12

PRE 12

SPD 4

OCV 6

DCV 6

REC 8

END 40

STUN 32 - 33

Language: German (idiomatic)

Language: Turkish (fluent conv.)

Gottfried? Gottfried Von Kalmbach? He who is called Gombuk? I call dibs on playing him when he's finally built. :D

What "facts"? The skill roll' date=' skill level, and 3d6 bell-curve are abstractions that require the application of "real world" metrics to be measured in a practical way. Hero is malleable, and so are power levels for various genres and games. Your marksman/expert/sharpshooter metric is not inherent in the system. Its a personal metric you applied. As a result, its not a "system fact." Its a "campaign fact." There is a big difference between the two. And, its not even necessary to support a particular design with minutiae style facts like "earned x ribbon," unless that's your style of play. You could just say, "expert marksmen" and give him more skill levels than an average rifleman. It doesn't really matter.[/quote']

True, and as you may have implied, campaign "mileage varies" even within genres, even with the same GM. That said, some matrices are at least related to facts, and interesting to read. I like some facts with my fiction.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost complete Gottfried update -

STR 20

DEX 15

CON 20

INT 10

EGO 12

PRE 12

OCV 6

DCV 6

OMCV 3

DMCV 3

PD 6

ED 6

REC 8

END 40

BODY 12

STUN 32

Run: 12m/24m

Leap: 4m/8m

Swim: 4m/8m

Martial Arts: Two-Handed Swords

Cut

Parry

Slash

Thrust

+1 with HTH combat

+1 with two-handed swords

Poor Income level

Riding 12-

TF: Equines

AK: Central Europe 11-

AK: Germany 11-

KS: Mercenary/Military World 11-

KS: Military Customs And Procedure 11-

Language: German (idiomatic, native)

Language: Turkish (fluent conversation)

PS: Soldier 11-

WF: Common Melee Weapons

Complications

Distinctive Features: Big (Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Hunted: Suleiman (Infrequently, Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

Psych Limitation: Undisciplined (Common, Strong)

Psych Limitation: Easily Taunted (Common, Moderate)

Reputation: "...vagabond son of a noble German family, whose ruin has been wine and women" (Frequently, Known Only To a Limited Group)

Equipment

Chain Mail: Def 6, 20 kg, Real Armor

Great Sword: HKA 2d6 (2d6+1 w/ Str), +1 OCV, Reduced Endurance (0 END); OAF, STR Minimum 15, Real Weapon, Def 7, Body 7, Size 8, 4 kg