Disadvantage Question [FMA Spoilers]

Super Squirrel

This question pertains to some write-ups I will be doing for Fullmetal Alchemist. Perhaps because I'm tired or perhaps because of the specific nature of the question, I can find no way to rephrase this question without it presenting spoilers.

If you do not want to be spoiled, do not read any further than this point.

Final Warning

Okay, those still in the thread, thank you. Let me give you a bit of background information. Alchemy is a science that can be better described as magic. You study very hard and you can use Alchemy by establishing alchemy circles. Some people wear gloves as a sort of cheat to simplify the process. Some people seem to be able to perform alchemy without using a summoning circle, however.

It is later established that anyone who performs a Human Transmutation is exposed to a gateway. The gateway dumps a ton of knowledge into the person and enhances their ability with alchemy. They understand it all better although they don't learn everything to alchemy. But one of the side-effects of this, is that they gain an understanding of how to use alchemy without a circle.

In this world, Human Transmutation is essentually illegal. Having been known to have done such an act could get you chased down by a couple of different groups.

Now comes the question:

What kind of disadvantage is it if you use Alchemy without an Alchemist Circle?

I believe this would be: Distinctive Features, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures, Extreme

I also believe an alchemist who has transmuted a human also has Social Limitation: Deep Secret.

Re: Disadvantage Question [FMA Spoilers]

This question pertains to some write-ups I will be doing for Fullmetal Alchemist. Perhaps because I'm tired or perhaps because of the specific nature of the question, I can find no way to rephrase this question without it presenting spoilers.

If you do not want to be spoiled, do not read any further than this point.

Final Warning

Okay, those still in the thread, thank you. Let me give you a bit of background information. Alchemy is a science that can be better described as magic. You study very hard and you can use Alchemy by establishing alchemy circles. Some people wear gloves as a sort of cheat to simplify the process. Some people seem to be able to perform alchemy without using a summoning circle, however.

It is later established that anyone who performs a Human Transmutation is exposed to a gateway. The gateway dumps a ton of knowledge into the person and enhances their ability with alchemy. They understand it all better although they don't learn everything to alchemy. But one of the side-effects of this, is that they gain an understanding of how to use alchemy without a circle.

In this world, Human Transmutation is essentually illegal. Having been known to have done such an act could get you chased down by a couple of different groups.

Now comes the question:

What kind of disadvantage is it if you use Alchemy without an Alchemist Circle?

I believe this would be: Distinctive Features, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures, Extreme

I also believe an alchemist who has transmuted a human also has Social Limitation: Deep Secret.

I think another disadvantage to consider would be a physical limitation to represent the body part(s) given up inthe human transformation attempt. Both Ed (arm & leg) and his teacher (internal organs?). Also, some link to the particular "sin" that is released/created in the process (Wrath for instance just so happens to have Ed's arm & leg).

HM

I'm not sure I'd bother with a disadvantage. The only people who seemed to actually recognize what it mean to be able to transmute without a circle were... other people who'd also seen the door. Most other alchemists seemed to just take it as an advanced technique or talent.

I can't think of an instance where anyone was actually penalized for displaying that they could transmute without a circle. The boys' teacher was rather open about it, and Ed publicly displayed the talent in front of every alchemist in Central during his admittance exam.

True, although I'm still not convinced that Lust making that leap consitutes a disadvantage. She targeted other people based on reasearch they were working on, rather than having seen the door. It wasn't inherently the fact that he'd seen the door that made him target him, just that he was highly skilled.