Character Name Help

Lucius

I have been working on a new character and I am stuck for a name.

My character's background is half-Japanese, or rather half-Nisei, American. I am thinking a European mother, but the family background is still fluid. The father was in the US. Army in WWII.

The character is a Vietnam Veteran who has spent some time in the Far East after the war - mastering both Kendo and Tai Chi Chuan - and returned to the U.S. to work in law enforcement and eventually as a private detective.

The backstory I have in mind is this; at one point, he is called in on a case by a scientist working on a protective suit. The idea of the suit is that it's being designed for firefighters and others who would be exposed to hazardous conditions - built in defense against radiation, heat, chemical and bio hazards, etc. and obviously tough enough not to be easily breached. Unknown to the scientist was the fact that her (or his, still fluid) lab was being funded by a criminal syndicate with unlawful purposes for the suit once they get their hands on it. The character defeats this plot, partly with the help of a specially designed version of the suit.

Because his version is so special and designed to help him be a costumed crimefighter type, I've been thinking of using a dragon- theme (or maybe salamander). That is, it won't be obviously "powered armor" - he will look like a humanoid reptilian mutant of some kind.

HELP! What do I call him? If I knew the Japanese word for "dragon" that might do....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is no help sometimes

Re: Character Name Help

My character's background is half-Japanese' date=' or rather half-Nisei, American. I am thinking a European mother, but the family background is still fluid. The father was in the US. Army in WWII.[/quote']

So, the mother is European, the father is American, but the child is half-Japanese? :think:

The character is a Vietnam Veteran who has spent some time in the Far East after the war - mastering both Kendo and Tai Chi Chuan - and returned to the U.S. to work in law enforcement and eventually as a private detective.

Well, if he's a Vietnam Vet, he's going to be at least in his 50's. Are you sure that's the age you're wanting?

The backstory I have in mind is this; at one point' date=' he is called in on a case by a scientist working on a protective suit. The idea of the suit is that it's being designed for firefighters and others who would be exposed to hazardous conditions - built in defense against radiation, heat, chemical and bio hazards, etc. and obviously tough enough not to be easily breached. Unknown to the scientist was the fact that her (or his, still fluid) lab was being funded by a criminal syndicate with unlawful purposes for the suit once they get their hands on it. The character defeats this plot, partly with the help of a specially designed version of the suit.[/quote']

Okay, I don't see why the fire suit would be designed to look anything resembling a Japanese theme (seeing that it's made in America), so I would consider a name something around temperature, maybe Kelvin, Fahrenheit or Celsius. If the hazardous side is the theme, as opposed to just another nice spot, maybe just call him Haz-Matt (especially if he has a public ID and is named Matt).

If you want the Japanese theme, I'd change his origin to being born in Japan.

Half-Nisei with a European mother, if Dad served in WW2, means that Dad was almost certainly in the 442d(?not sure about the number?) regiment, which was one of the most highly-decorated units in the US Army. This heritage of heroism bodes well for the character.

As far as names, why not "American Dragon" (okay, so it's currently a kid's cartoon on cable...)

Character Name Help

So, the mother is European, the father is American, but the child is half-Japanese?

Yes. The father is an American born of Japanese immigrant parents; a Nisei.

During WWII, the Nisei served in their own unit, which was if I recall the most decorated infantry division in the war.

Well, if he's a Vietnam Vet, he's going to be at least in his 50's. Are you sure that's the age you're wanting?

Yes. I'm thinking about 65, although only going to take the first level of age disadvantage.

I wrote this in a hurry today (I was being rushed) but I HAVE given it thought.

Okay, I don't see why the fire suit would be designed to look anything resembling a Japanese theme (seeing that it's made in America), so I would consider a name something around temperature, maybe Kelvin, Fahrenheit or Celsius. If the hazardous side is the theme, as opposed to just another nice spot, maybe just call him Haz-Matt (especially if he has a public ID and is named Matt).

If you want the Japanese theme, I'd change his origin to being born in Japan.

Okay, first off, the suit was MADE for him; it could have been designed with any theme he wanted. Second, it's not going to LOOK like a suit; my intention is that he be taken for a very strange mutant.

Lucius Alexander

Did somebody call for a palindromedary?

Character Name Help

Half-Nisei with a European mother, if Dad served in WW2, means that Dad was almost certainly in the 442d(?not sure about the number?) regiment, which was one of the most highly-decorated units in the US Army. This heritage of heroism bodes well for the character.

As far as names, why not "American Dragon" (okay, so it's currently a kid's cartoon on cable...)

Yes, I definitely wanted that heritage of heroism. Also, the background that would make him sensitive to all kinds of "underdogs."

The Game Operations Director seems to be going for an X Men inspired "everybody wants to oppress the mutants" theme. I wanted a character that would be non-mutant, but would strongly identify with and stand up for mutants.

I've considered making the mother Jewish (perhaps the father liberated the death camp she was incarcerated in?) but that may be going overkill on the oppressed-minority-background schtick....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders who watches out for the overcats....

Ryu I'm familiar with from Anime/Martail Arts. It's pronounced "ryou", but tends to come out as just "roo" to a lot of peoples ears. Many fans of the Street Fighter series will try to convince you it's "rhye-you" however ;)

I'm pretty sure tatsu is pronounced "tot-sue", but I'm not 100% on that...

Yes. The father is an American born of Japanese immigrant parents; a Nisei.

If that's what you want, that's fine, just by definition a Nisei is "a person of Japanese descent, born and educated in the U.S. or Canada" and means "second generation." By definition the father would be a nisei, the child would be American.

During WWII' date=' the Nisei served in their own unit, which was if I recall the most decorated infantry division in the war.[/quote']

They were the 442nd Regimental Combat Team which was attached to the 100th Battalion from Hawaii.

Yes. I'm thinking about 65, although only going to take the first level of age disadvantage.

I wrote this in a hurry today (I was being rushed) but I HAVE given it thought.

Chill, man. Reread what you wrote; I'm merely asking questions about it.

Okay' date=' first off, the suit was MADE for him; it could have been designed with any theme he wanted. Second, it's not going to LOOK like a suit; my intention is that he be taken for a very strange mutant.[/quote']

Perhaps you need to actually read what you wrote. As for the "first off, the suit was MADE for him" comment, you'll have to accept my apology since when I read "The backstory I have in mind is this; at one point, he is called in on a case by a scientist working on a protective suit. The idea of the suit is that it's being designed for firefighters and others who would be exposed to hazardous conditions...." Somehow I didn't read "firefighters and others" as "MADE for him." Silly I know.

Did somebody call for a palindromedary?

When you ask for help, and somebody wants clarification on what you're posting, instead of coming off half-cocked, you might want to be considerate of them.

Character Name Help

If that's what you want' date=' that's fine, just by definition a Nisei is "a person of Japanese descent, born and educated in the U.S. or Canada" and means "second generation." By definition the father would be a nisei, the child would be American..[/quote']

Exactly. That's what I said. The father was Nisei. When I described the character as "half-Japanese" I meant ethnically- he's a third generation American citizen, who spent a few years as an adult in his grandparent's home country (during a phase of his life when he was very disenchanted with America) but never stopped seeing himself as American.

They were the 442nd Regimental Combat Team which was attached to the 100th Battalion from Hawaii.

I thought including this as part of his family background gave the character some depth. Of course, I'm still working out a lot of stuff.

Having a father who was part of such a distinguished unit gives him something to live up to, although by this point in his life he's probably resolved a lot of the baggage that comes from having a father who was part of a legend.

Chill, man. Reread what you wrote; I'm merely asking questions about it.

I did reread what I wrote. Please reread what you wrote. I AM going to do you the courtesy of assuming you didn't intend to accuse me of being ignorant of the dates of historical events that took place within my own lifetime, nor of being incapable of doing the simple math involved in calculating the probable age of someone who fought in Vietnam. But can you see where what you said seemed to imply one or the other?

By the way, I never said what time period the game is set in - for all you knew, it could have been set in, say, 1975, and the hero still under 30. As it happens, it's set in 2006, and I'd already decided to play a senior citizen, and making him a Vietnam veteran was a result of plotting back and seeing

1) The father could have been one of those legendary Nisei of WWII, and

2) The character would have come of age during the Vietnam war....and with a war-hero father it was easy to assume he'd be in the military and in Vietnam rather than among the peace-protesters or draft-dodgers.

Perhaps you need to actually read what you wrote. As for the "first off, the suit was MADE for him" comment, you'll have to accept my apology since when I read "The backstory I have in mind is this; at one point, he is called in on a case by a scientist working on a protective suit. The idea of the suit is that it's being designed for firefighters and others who would be exposed to hazardous conditions...." Somehow I didn't read "firefighters and others" as "MADE for him." Silly I know.

My fault for not being clear. When I said

"The character defeats this plot, partly with the help of a specially designed version of the suit."

I thought it would be clear that this particular suit was designed for him especially. As I said, I was writing in a hurry- I do that too often I'm afraid. Part of the design was to make it NOT obvious it's a "suit" - the criminals involved were to have no idea this hero was using a version of the same protective technology they were after. I'm sorry I didn't make that more explicit.

By the way, a "dragon" theme is not necessarily Japanese either. One of the names I've considered using was "Dragonewt" but that only makes sense if the character has himself played Runequest.....

Lucius Alexander

Insert palindromedary tagline here.

I don't speak Japanese, so I have to go by the online dictionaries I can find, but it looks like the word for "justice" is gi, so Ryugi would be "justice dragon," which strikes me as about right for the character as described.

It would be pronounced approximately r'yoo-gee with a hard "g" (as in "get").

Guest Suleyman Rashid

I've considered making the mother Jewish (perhaps the father liberated the death camp she was incarcerated in?) but that may be going overkill on the oppressed-minority-background schtick...

Dachau. The 442nd Regimental liberated Dachau.

Character Name Help

Dachau. The 442nd Regimental liberated Dachau.

Thank you. So I can be historically accurate. Maybe I WILL make the mother a Jew or Gypsy or someone else the Nazis were trying to deprive the world of.

Besides, there is something oddly appealing about a character with a good excuse to take both Japanese and Yiddish as languages....hm... and with a Jewish mother, he'd be Jewish by Jewish law too.

Much as I deeply appreciate the suggestions, I'm starting to reconsider the idea of a Japanese hero name. Since he will also have a secret ID and want to protect it, perhaps he will want a name that WON'T point to his background.

Lucius Alexander

I could name him palindromedary....nahh..