Boosted Charges w/o Burnout

Armitage

I've been working on Hero versions of some of the weapons from GURPS Ultra-Tech.

Laser weapons can be modified to fire a more powerful beam at the risk of destroying the weapon. This is obviously Boostable Charges. But military grade weapons can be safely enhanced with no risk to the weapon.

I've designed it this way.

Standard Weapon: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, 16 Charges (+0) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1). 15 Real Points

Boosted Weapon: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, 16 Boostable Charges (+1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1). 18 Real Points

Military Boosted Weapon: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots 16 Charges (+0) (50 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

1u Standard Shot: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u Boosted Shot: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6+1 (50 Active Points); Requires 5 Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1)

27 Real Points

My question is...does anyone see a problem with allowing the second slot in the Multipower to function like normal Boostable Charges?

i.e. using 1 extra Charge per extra DC added to the attack.

Or would a 5-slot Multipower be required, one for each added DC, each needing a different number of Charges?

Since the basic design costs 21 Active Points more just to remove the Burnout, I personally think it would be fine to allow Charge use to be based on the number of extra DC.

Maybe a reduction in the value of Requires Multiple Charges?

Assuming the Boostable Charge rules haven't changed in Revised.

Re: Boosted Charges w/o Burnout

I don't have a rulebook in front of me, but my personal thought would be to allow Boostable Charges w/o Burnout as a higher advantage (say an extra +¼ for each +3 DC without danger of Burnout or something), just to keep it simple. Just make sure you have a DC cap to keep people from abusing it.

"The fiction in her family was that she was never nice.

I'd say she was very but I did not see the price." - S. Vega

Re: Boosted Charges w/o Burnout

My question is...does anyone see a problem with allowing the second slot in the Multipower to function like normal Boostable Charges?

i.e. using 1 extra Charge per extra DC added to the attack.

Or would a 5-slot Multipower be required, one for each added DC, each needing a different number of Charges?

Didn't see this asnwered...

If you only have two settings Low and High, then two slots is fine, I'd keep it as is.

If you have the ability to adjust the power level I would build it as multiple slots, if I'm thinking correctly (and I may not be) the second slot will always take 5 Charges, even if fired at a lower level.

And I would also consider using Beam on those as well, but that's me.