Daya Clayton, Wonder Woman in th Pulp Era, cross posted from the Pulp Hero forum

OddHat

DAYA CLAYTON, AKA DIANA PRINCE

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25/40 STR 15 17- Lift 6400.0kg; 8d6 [3]

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

18 CON 16 13-

14 BODY 8 12-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

20 COM 5 13-

5/15 PD 0 Total: 5/15 PD (0/10 rPD)

4/14 ED 0 Total: 4/14 ED (0/10 rED)

4 SPD 7 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

9 REC 0

36 END 0

36 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 111

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Gliding: 10"/20"

Leaping: 8"/16"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

"Amazonian" Physiology

Notes: The daughter of John Clayton, aka Tarzan, and La of Opar. Diana is possessed of a blood line touched both by the Wold Newton event and extra-terrestrial influences. She began telling her biographers fanciful tales of her Amazonian origins as a joke, and later continued in order to help protect her family.

8 1) Amazonian Health: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Longevity: 400 Years; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat)

Notes: Diana's longevity also reflects her use of the Elixir of Life, a gift to Tarzan from the Nine Unknown.

5 2) Elixir of Life: Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)

Notes: The Elixir of Life continues to work in Diana's system.

10 3) Amazonian Toughness: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Does Not Prevent Penetration; -1/4)

6 4) Amazonian Swiftness: Running +3" (9" total) 1

Amazonian Concentration

Notes: These abilities derive from the meditative techniques of ancient Opar.

10 1) Amazonian Strength: +15 STR (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) 1

12 2) Amazonian Pain Control: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (First point of Body always gets through, does not prevent penetration; -1/2)

10 3) To Snatch an Arrow from the Air: Missile Deflection (Arrows, Slings, Etc.)

Notes: Diana will one day improve on this ability.

3 4) To Ride the Wind: Gliding 10" (10 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; Complex; Must spread her body wide to ride the wind; -1 1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) 1

Notes: Diana's Wind Riding seems to be an amazing mix of acrobatics, sky diving skill, and low level levitation. It is not an ability possessed by either of her parents.

2 5) Amazonian Will: Mental Defense (5 points total)

16 Amazonian Mental Powers: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2)

Notes: Diana will in the future attribute these abilities to her so-called "Magic Lasso"

1u 1) Amazonian Hypnosis: Mind Control 8d6 (40 Active Points); Eye Contact Required (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) 8

2u 2) Amazonian Thought Projection: Telepathy 8d6 (40 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 8

Perks

0 Note (Custom Adder)

Notes: Diana is actually entitled to a number of perks, but has at this point in her life turned her back on both the Clayton family and the hidden city of Opar. In the future, her list of Perks will expand greatly.

Skills

3 Linguist

1 1) Language: Afrikaans (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

1 2) Language: Arabic (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

0 3) Language: English (imitate dialects; literate) (6 Active Points)

1 4) Language: French (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

1 5) Language: German (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 6) Language: Greek (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

1 7) Language: Latin (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 8) Language: Opari (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: African Tribal Culture and Customs (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) KS: European Culture and History (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) KS: The Secret History of the World (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Africa (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) AK: Great Cities of Europe (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) AK: Opar and African Hidden Lands (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Acrobatics 14-

5 Defense Maneuver I-II

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Paramedics 12-

Notes: Diana is training as a Nurse.

3 Animal Handling, 13-

2 TF: Riding Animals

8 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Small Arms

Notes: As the daughter of Tarzan, constantly in danger from his many enemies, Diana was trained from earliest life in the use of weapons.

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 139

Total Cost: 250

200+ Disadvantages

10 Psychological Limitation: Staunch Feminist, reacts badly to rude or condescending behavior (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Defends the weak against the Evil Strong, protects the innocent, up-holds the righteous (Common, Strong)

5 Psychological Limitation: Enjoys telling shaggy dog stories and fanciful tales (Uncommon, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Kind hearted and charitable (Uncommon, Moderate)

10 Social Limitation: Secret - Daughter of John Clayton, Tarzan, Lord Greystoke, and La of Opar. (Occasionally, Major)

Notes: If her connection to her family were to become known, Diana would acquire several powerful hunteds.

Total Disadvantage Points: 250

Background/History: Wold Newton Timeline:

1910 – Tarzan, aka John Clayton Jr., Lord Greystoke, visits the hidden city of Opar. He leaves not knowing that his brief affair with the high priestess La has left her with child. The child, a healthy girl, is born in December of 1910. The priestess gives the child the name Daya. The infant shares the skin coloring and facial features of her father.

1914 – Tarzan returns to Opar. A painful reunion with La ensues, in which Tarzan meets his now 3 year old daughter. La and Tarzan make their peace, and Tarzan returns to England with Daya. Jane is hurt, but accepts Daya, giving her the Christian name Diana.

1929 – Tarzan and Diana return to Opar. Diana’s reunion with her birth mother is not a happy one, and the situation in Opar is chaotic. Angry and confused, Diana returns to England and then America. In America, she establishes the cover identity of Diana Prince. Rejecting her father’s offers of financial support, Diana takes employment as a nurse.

From a letter found in the papers of Thomas Carnacki, consulting detective:

My Dear Thomas,

I hope this missive finds you well. I have chosen to share with you a singular narrative, one that I hope, in due time, to share with the world. I believe this shall be of singular interest to one of your chosen profession. Please forgive me for any failings in form or style as I now put pen to paper.

Best, I think, to begin directly.

I can not reveal to you just how I met the Woman. She was beautiful beyond compare, almost beyond desire. Her hair was black as raven’s wings, and her eyes the grey of summer storms. Her skin glowed with the incandescent vigor of youth. Her features were exotic, indefinable. She smiled, and it was morning and the beginning of worlds.

I know not why she agreed to speak with me. Her voice was rich and her accent clear, carrying hints of the British aristocracy. We made our introductions, I paid her my compliments, and she told her tale.

“I do have a few clear memories of my early life,†she began, “shapes mainly, and scents. I remember my mother’s face. I remember her songs. Even as a toddler, I knew that she was the High Priestess, and that my father was a King.â€

The story she spun was the stuff of fable, a fairy tale of hidden cities and jungle lords, and yet I accepted every word. Even now, remembering her eyes, her strong and level tones, I still believe. I ask that not of you. Indeed, it might be safest for all concerned if you dismissed this text as an amusing tavern yarn. And yet, I must continue to set it down.

Her smile faded as she continued speaking, her eyes now locked on memories. “My father’s heart did not belong only to my mother, and she knew the folly of holding a man who did not love her above all. She wanted me to know the world outside, to become part of it. And so, I went with my father to his estates in Africa, and later, England.â€

“My step mother, my father’s wife, treated me in all ways as well as my half sister, half brother and step brother. Looking back, I was proof of my father’s infidelity, and yet she loved me as her own. It could have been an idyllic childhood, if not for my father’s endless, private wars.â€

“My father taught us to ride and to fight. He had to. We learned the bow, the knife, the sword and the gun. We wrestled and raced on the ground and through the trees. In London or Paris we’d race across rooftops. I learned to deflect a thrown blade or grab an arrow from the air, surpassing even my half sister and brother in this.â€

“These were more than just games to us. Father’s enemies were always there. Sometimes I hated the hunters, but I learned to see past that. ‘Hatred is weakness, and Woman is not weak.’ My step mother taught me that.†She hesitated, and then spoke again. “In their ways, both my mothers taught me that.â€

She spoke of beast men and secret plots, hidden valleys of gold and the madness of gods. She spoke of dreams and monsters and the armies of the dead, and I am not ashamed to say that I believed. This young woman had traveled far, and her voice carried an authority and conviction that would not be denied.

“When I last saw my birth mother, she had risen to become a Queen. She and my father fought, though their love was clear even in anger. She wanted me to serve in as both Princess and Priestess. My father wanted to hold me in his world.†Her voice was still melodic, but it rang with hints of steel. “I am young, but I am no child. I made my choice. I chose to seek the land of hope and second chances, the country where the future was being shaped. I chose to come to America.â€

Her storm grey eyes locked upon my own. Her voice became my world. “My father spoke often of your kind. He called you bards questing for heroes, scribblers chasing the shadow men.†I could hear nothing but her voice, see nothing but her eyes. My limbs felt heavy. “You can’t share what I’ve told you, not the full truth of it. Not yet. When the time comes, I will seek you out again.â€

And with that, she was gone. I have practiced hypnosis myself, and perhaps that is why I am now able to write these words. I could not speak them face to face. There is more, but I grow weary.

Take care my friend, and I hope to meet again with you soon.

Your humble and obedient servant,

-WMM

Background character notes:

This write-up represents Daya Clayton, aka Diana Prince, as she was in 1930, shortly after her arrival in America.

The Real Story:

Wonder Woman was created in 1940 by Dr. William Moulton Marston, psychologist, pioneer in the use of systolic blood pressure testing for lie detection, feminist, polygamist and bondage aficionado. No, really. Marston originally intended to name the character “Supremaâ€. There was never a Pulp Wonder Woman, though there were many strong and heroic female protagonists in the Pulps. This particular version of the character was influenced by Warren Ellis’ “Jakita Wagnerâ€, and Win Scott Eckert’s variant “Nellie Grayâ€.

Personality/Motivation: Raised in an atmosphere of constant danger, torn between several worlds, Diana might have become hostile and cynical. Instead, largely due to the influence of her step-mother (Jane Clayton), Diana became a heroine. Kind-hearted and brave, Diana is a born protector of the innocent. She is also, by the standards of the early twentieth century, a staunch Feminist, and a defender of the rights and dignity of the oppressed.

Diana does have a sense of humor. In particular, she is fond of telling shaggy dog stories to children and male admirers, often basing these tales on the events of her own genuinely remarkable life.

Diana does maintain a relationship with her half-sister, Nellie Gray.

Quote: “Stand for what you believe in. Stand with me.â€

Powers/Tactics: Diana’s remarkable heritage has gifted her with strength, speed and resilience at the far edge of human possibility, and her training has allowed her to surpass even these limits. Added to this, Diana has been trained in the telepathic techniques of ancient Opar, and she has excelled.

While she has been well trained, Diana is not yet as tactically skilled as she will one day become. She tends to take a single foe down in a display of strength, and then attempt to shock her remaining foes into inaction with a Presence Attack. She will use weapons if she believes the situation to be dire. Diana is not overconfident; if overmatched she will flee. She generally uses her telepathic abilities only out of combat.

Campaign Use: Diana is a playable character in a 250 point Pulp game. If Normal Characteristic Maxima are being observed, treat her as a 264 point character. She also makes an excellent patroness, ally or information source in Hidden Lands, Crime Busting or African adventures. Her connection to Nellie Gray gives Diana a connection to the Avenger, and her connections to the rest of her family can serve as adventure hooks as well.

In the Wold Newton campaign for which he was designed, Diana will be assumed to gain 12 Experience Points per year until 1940, when she will enter World War Two as a 370 point character.

Appearance: A tall girl, Diana is shockingly beautiful, her subtly exotic features without flaw. Her wealth of raven black hair flows freely over her back and shoulders, and her storm grey eyes carry the glint of intelligence and humor. Her form is modeled along lines that leave nothing to be desired. Diana prefers high-laced boots, breeches, and a servicable blue shirt, but will dress appropriately at social functions. She rarely carries weapons.

Wonder Woman by Dr. William Moulton Marston. Character Sheet by Robert Dorf.

Re: Daya Clayton, Wonder Woman in th Pulp Era, cross posted from the Pulp Hero forum

She's keen' date=' and I'd say a worthy companion to Danner.[/quote']

Thanks, much appreciated.

One day I might even get around to writing up the Golden and Silver Age versions.