Costume fixation (Get your mind out of the gutter)

proditor

Re: Costume fixation (Get your mind out of the gutter)

I tend to favor the more military uniform look. Utility belts, clothes that looked like they wouldn't rip when you looked at them. Things along the lines that you might actually expect paranormals in the real world to wear going into action.

I more or less am the opposite I like costumes that look like super-costumes. It's the iconography that is a big part of Supers for me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never cared for skintight costumes, or the cheesecake costumes for female characters. Give me something I can believe a character fighting and risking their lives in. Military fatigues and martial arts garb are not, for example, skintight and skimpy.

Guest WhammeWhamme

I've never cared for skintight costumes' date=' or the cheesecake costumes for female characters. Give me something I can believe a character fighting and risking their lives in. Military fatigues and martial arts garb are not, for example, skintight and skimpy.[/quote']

wrt: Martial Arts Garb... it would have been tricky to _make_ them be skintight in the eras in which they were formalized.

Given that gymnasts and the like favour skintight (less likely to interfere with motion?), I have to opine that _may_ be realistic, if your aim is to maximise freedom of movement.

Assuming you don't need it for protection ("dude, I can take a bullet 1000x better than Kevlar can..."), or disguise (okay, this one is a bit bigger... although you _could_ call it as something along the lines of 'Policemen wear noticeable uniforms...')

Actually, I should correct my previous post. I prefer plausible skintight costumes in plausible circumstances. For example, flyers have excellent reasons for wearing skintight costumes. They don't want something the wind will catch and try to rip off them, not to mention slowing them down. Aquatic heroes are another case where something skintight makes a lot of sense. Catburglars are another category.

However even in those cases I tend to dislike the bright gaudy colors. The original Fantastic Four garb is one of the few superhero costumes that don't make me twitch. Something in dark utilitarian colors.

I think there is something to be said for the costumes-as-modern-heraldry concept. The idea of heraldry is to allow observers to identify the wearer in the chaotic environment of the battlefield. The modern super operates on a battlefield far more chaotic than that of medieval warfare, what with the movement powers and energy blasts, and it could be hard to get a good look at the combatants. Even if you could, most supers conceal their faces to protect their identity.

Colorful costumes serve this purpose: when Spider-man sees a man in silver-gray armor and a green hooded cloak fighting a man in a red, white, and blue costume carrying a shield, it's easy for him to figure out which one he should help.

Zeropoint

I think there is something to be said for the costumes-as-modern-heraldry concept. The idea of heraldry is to allow observers to identify the wearer in the chaotic environment of the battlefield. The modern super operates on a battlefield far more chaotic than that of medieval warfare, what with the movement powers and energy blasts, and it could be hard to get a good look at the combatants. Even if you could, most supers conceal their faces to protect their identity.

Colorful costumes serve this purpose: when Spider-man sees a man in silver-gray armor and a green hooded cloak fighting a man in a red, white, and blue costume carrying a shield, it's easy for him to figure out which one he should help.

Zeropoint

Totally repped!:thumbup:

Thor is totally heraldic. You can't miss the shiny hat with the wings on it. Batman is totally iconic. I can't think of black grey and yellow without thinking of Batman. I can't think of a bat without thinking of Batman. I can't think of a caped silhouette without thinking of Batman.

Spawn is Prowler in a new color scheme.

So yes' date=' I apparently dig flag suits. What is your favorite costume design/color pattern/what have you?[/quote']

I simply can't believe I'm the only one who loves (No. Make that LOOOOOOOOVES) Spider-woman's costume.

This would be the Jessica Drew Spider-woman, the one with the red and yellow suit with the "web-wings" (or web-pits, as someone unglamorously put it).

The one currently being drawn by Frank Cho (ZING!).

I like the colors (eye-catching, and reflective of many spiders). I like the pattern. It's skin tight and revealing, but in no way skimpy (as it covers her entire body, other than her nose and chin). As someone with unconscious pheremonal powers over men, the whole skin tight and revealing thing actually has a functional purpose for Jessica, unlike most other female supers.

Did I mention that Frank Cho's drawing her (ZING!)?

I simply can't believe I'm the only one who loves (No. Make that LOOOOOOOOVES) Spider-woman's costume.

This would be the Jessica Drew Spider-woman, the one with the red and yellow suit with the "web-wings" (or web-pits, as someone unglamorously put it).

The one currently being drawn by Frank Cho (ZING!).

I like the colors (eye-catching, and reflective of many spiders). I like the pattern. It's skin tight and revealing, but in no way skimpy (as it covers her entire body, other than her nose and chin). As someone with unconscious pheremonal powers over men, the whole skin tight and revealing thing actually has a functional purpose for Jessica, unlike most other female supers.

Did I mention that Frank Cho's drawing her (ZING!)?

Yeah, I have to admit to feeling...uncomfortable...when I see her in New Avengers. To quote noted sage Garth Algar, "She makes me feel funny, like the time we climbed the rope in gym."