Questions regarding multiple-attack Powers

dropblack

After reading the description of multiple-attack powers, as described on page 358 (Revised), I came upon a few questions. Maybe you all can shed some light…

A character could use an area-affecting attack (which works against DCV 3) and a non-area-affecting attack (which works against the target’s DVC) as part of multiple-power attack, but he must roll against the target’s DCV for the non-area-affecting attack.

If both powers are area-affecting do you roll against the target’s DCV or the area’s? Can you do a multiple-power attack on an area?

A character can use slots from two or more different Power Frameworks to perform a multiple-power attack, assuming he obeys all the rules for such an attack.

Meaning he has enough points in his Power Framework to allocate to both of them? I found the following regarding restrictions in the non-revised 5th edition page 234, but the sentenced has been omitted from the revised. Second, if two or more Powers are in the same Power Framework he must have enough points in his Power Framework to allocate to both of them.

When a multiple-Power attack succeeds, the target applies his defenses (if any) separately to each Power. The damage from the attack does not add together for purposes of determining if the target is Stunned. Moreover, if one of the attacks will reduce or affect his defenses or CV (for example, a Drain PD or a Flash) the other attack is applied first

What if they both will reduce or affect his defenses?

A PC cannot use the same power, ability or weapon to attack more than once per Phase with a multiple-Power attack. To attack multiple times with the same Power a PC needs Auto-fire for that Power or should use the Combat Maneuvers Sweep or Rapid Fire.

When characters engage in weapons combat, use Martial Maneuvers, and the like, attacks based on or using STR count as “distinct attacks†for purposes of making multiple-power attacks provided their effects are reasonably distinguishable. A Maneuver that causes damage (such as a Legsweep) is reasonably distinguishable from one that provides extra STR for a specific purpose (such as Martial Disarm) in most cases. Generally two maneuvers that simply cause damage are not distinguishable (but the GM decides based on the situation). Multiple-power attacks work best when characters combine two different forms of attack to generate an interesting effect, not when they simply lump two attack abilities together to cause more damage.

At the GM’s option, if a character wants to fight with a melee weapon in each hand, he may do so as a multiple-power attack, even though that involves using two similar (or identical) attacks that both do damage with STR (the same applies to using two Ranged weapons, such as two pistols or thrown daggers).

Doesn’t this paragraph contradict the first 2 paragraphs?

Once again I just want to say thanks for all the help I’ve received from the people on this forum. It’s greatly appreciated.

Re: Questions regarding multiple-attack Powers

After reading the description of multiple-attack powers' date=' as described on page 358 (Revised), I came upon a few questions. Maybe you all can shed some light…[/size']

We can certainly try. :)

A character could use an area-affecting attack (which works against DCV 3) and a non-area-affecting attack (which works against the target’s DVC) as part of multiple-power attack' date=' but he must roll against the target’s DCV for the non-area-affecting attack. [/size']

If both powers are area-affecting do you roll against the target’s DCV or the area’s? Can you do a multiple-power attack on an area?

From my reading of the rules, you can do a MPA on an area. Since you're targetting a hex with both powers, you'd roll against the area's DCV.

A character can use slots from two or more different Power Frameworks to perform a multiple-power attack' date=' assuming he obeys all the rules for such an attack. [/size']

Meaning he has enough points in his Power Framework to allocate to both of them? I found the following regarding restrictions in the non-revised 5th edition page 234, but the sentenced has been omitted from the revised. Second, if two or more Powers are in the same Power Framework he must have enough points in his Power Framework to allocate to both of them.

Yes, you have to have enough points in the Power Framework (Multipower or VPP) to allow both to be active at the same time, e.g. two 60 AP attack Powers as slots in a 120 AP Multipower. Note that if you can vary the size of the AP in the Powers used, as with Variable slots in a Multipower, you can always opt to use them at lesser power so that both would fit within the Framework. For example, if you have several 60 AP Powers in a 60 AP Multipower, you could use two of them at the 30 point level simultaneously in a MPA.

When a multiple-Power attack succeeds' date=' the target applies his defenses (if any) separately to each Power. The damage from the attack does not add together for purposes of determining if the target is Stunned. Moreover, if one of the attacks will reduce or affect his defenses or CV (for example, a Drain PD or a Flash) the other attack is applied first [/size']

Any answer I gave would be purely my opinion. If you want an "official" ruling you'd need to ask Steve Long. :hex:

A PC cannot use the same power' date=' ability or weapon to attack more than once per Phase with a multiple-Power attack. To attack multiple times with the same Power a PC needs Auto-fire for that Power or should use the Combat Maneuvers [i']Sweep[/i] or Rapid Fire.

When characters engage in weapons combat, use Martial Maneuvers, and the like, attacks based on or using STR count as “distinct attacks” for purposes of making multiple-power attacks provided their effects are reasonably distinguishable. A Maneuver that causes damage (such as a Legsweep) is reasonably distinguishable from one that provides extra STR for a specific purpose (such as Martial Disarm) in most cases. Generally two maneuvers that simply cause damage are not distinguishable (but the GM decides based on the situation). Multiple-power attacks work best when characters combine two different forms of attack to generate an interesting effect, not when they simply lump two attack abilities together to cause more damage.

At the GM’s option, if a character wants to fight with a melee weapon in each hand, he may do so as a multiple-power attack, even though that involves using two similar (or identical) attacks that both do damage with STR (the same applies to using two Ranged weapons, such as two pistols or thrown daggers).

Doesn’t this paragraph contradict the first 2 paragraphs?

Not really. There's no conflict with Paragraph 1, and Paragraph 2 explicitly allows the GM to make exceptions where warranted. Paragraph 3 merely suggests one of those exceptions.

Once again I just want to say thanks for all the help I’ve received from the people on this forum. It’s greatly appreciated.

You're very welcome. :D

BTW not to sound critical, but the font size you're using is a little overwhelming to read. :o

A character can use slots from two or more different Power Frameworks to perform a multiple-power attack' date=' assuming he obeys all the rules for such an attack. [/size']

Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe 5er indicates you cannot use two powers from the same framework in an MPA, eliminating the need for the statement that you need sufficient points to allocate to them. I consider that change to be a crock, but that's life.

When a multiple-Power attack succeeds' date=' the target applies his defenses (if any) separately to each Power. The damage from the attack does not add together for purposes of determining if the target is Stunned. Moreover, if one of the attacks will reduce or affect his defenses or CV (for example, a Drain PD or a Flash) the other attack is applied first [/size']

As LL says, no official answer. My position would be that neither attack can reduce the target's defenses or CV against the other attack.

5ER pg 358, right column 2nd to last para

You can combine slots from different Frameworks as long as they meet all other requirements for MPAs.

You cannot combine slots from the same Framework in an MPA, even if he has sufficient reserves or base points to use both at once.