Is it time for people to stop making new RPG systems?

stan da ork

Re: Is it time for people to stop making new RPG systems?

An idea with a lot of potential that, I fear, will bever be realised....

I dunno. A fair number of supplements are multi-system. Not sure how much of a selling point that is, but it does happen.

Years ago, when I was in to weight lifting, I got sick of protein powders and vitamin pills. I was thinking that what I really wanted was a convenient high-protein low calorie supplement that could be served hot, and that wasn't sweet. Maybe something salty.

I realized that I wanted a nice hot meal, using the supplement known as "food".

From that experience, I'd say that when I want source material without stats, I'll probably read a book.

I dunno. A fair number of supplements are multi-system. Not sure how much of a selling point that is, but it does happen.

Years ago, when I was in to weight lifting, I got sick of protein powders and vitamin pills. I was thinking that what I really wanted was a convenient high-protein low calorie supplement that could be served hot, and that wasn't sweet. Maybe something salty.

I realized that I wanted a nice hot meal, using the supplement known as "food".

From that experience, I'd say that when I want source material without stats, I'll probably read a book.

Ah: perspective :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Is it time for people to stop making new computer operating systems? Err, whoops. They pretty much have, haven't they? We now have Windows and the *NIXs. So D20 and Hero are like Windows and Linux, respectively (in oh, so many ways).

I'd say if someone really thinks (s)he can contribute something interesting and useful to the gaming world in that manner, then go for it: design a new system. If not, taking advantage of a well thought-out and developed gaming platform together with its tools would probably put a game developer a step ahead; eliminating the need to re-develop the wheel, so to speak.

And just what game system provides a full and robust toolkit, already set up for your cross-genre application needs? Ooooooh yeeeaaahh, baby! :D

Is it time for people to stop making new computer operating systems? Err, whoops. They pretty much have, haven't they? We now have Windows and the *NIXs. So D20 and Hero are like Windows and Linux, respectively (in oh, so many ways).

Given that I have literally dozens of systems I think that this analogy is pretty flawed.

As for the Supplements with no mechanics, I also think this niche is already filled by non-gaming books.

I think a non-system source book could work very well. Think of all the generic source books that people buy that do contain a system. Half of GURP's sourcebooks are bought by people who cannot stand GURP's. But the books tend to have a lot of useful material. I have my copy of CoC's Horror on the Orient Express, not because I play CoC, but the source material and train MAPS are outstanding as a 1910 to 1930ish game.

How about if there was a supplement like "Transport to Adventure!" for example. It could contain about 4 or 5 chapters. Chapter 1. The description of a flying boat (like the Yankee Clipper) including LAYOUT PLANS. Chapter 2. The typical South Pacific Tramp freighter including DECK PLANS, with the non-cargo areas having larger more detailed plans. Chapter 3. Airships. A overall plan of a Zeppelin, with detailed DECK PLANS of the gondola, passenger and crew areas. Chapter 4. Trains with car LAYOUT MAPS for both passenger and freight cars. The last chapter (or two) could include discussions of fairs, travel times and general related items for the period(s) plus plot hook/adventure scenarios that make use of the information. Do as AoG did with their Ships of the Fleet Compendiums and include a CD with all the maps in PDF. If you use a mapping program like CC2 (and actually get the map part to come out right, still working on that) it is easy to add either a hex or square grid. Have one PDF with hex and one with square on the CD making sure the resolution is high enough that the image can be tiled to print large enough to use standard mini's.

Remember the Ravensloft adventure that had the castle plan? None of the stores in the local area could keep it on the shelf. No one I know actually played RL, but the castle map was too good not to have a copy.

Just a couple of pennys....

I think a non-system source book could work very well. Think of all the generic source books that people buy that do contain a system. Half of GURP's sourcebooks are bought by people who cannot stand GURP's. But the books tend to have a lot of useful material. I have my copy of CoC's Horror on the Orient Express, not because I play CoC, but the source material and train MAPS are outstanding as a 1910 to 1930ish game.

How about if there was a supplement like "Transport to Adventure!" for example. It could contain about 4 or 5 chapters. Chapter 1. The description of a flying boat (like the Yankee Clipper) including LAYOUT PLANS. Chapter 2. The typical South Pacific Tramp freighter including DECK PLANS, with the non-cargo areas having larger more detailed plans. Chapter 3. Airships. A overall plan of a Zeppelin, with detailed DECK PLANS of the gondola, passenger and crew areas. Chapter 4. Trains with car LAYOUT MAPS for both passenger and freight cars. The last chapter (or two) could include discussions of fairs, travel times and general related items for the period(s) plus plot hook/adventure scenarios that make use of the information. Do as AoG did with their Ships of the Fleet Compendiums and include a CD with all the maps in PDF. If you use a mapping program like CC2 (and actually get the map part to come out right, still working on that) it is easy to add either a hex or square grid. Have one PDF with hex and one with square on the CD making sure the resolution is high enough that the image can be tiled to print large enough to use standard mini's.

Remember the Ravensloft adventure that had the castle plan? None of the stores in the local area could keep it on the shelf. No one I know actually played RL, but the castle map was too good not to have a copy.

So, Spence, you, er...you like maps then, eh?

:D

Given that I have literally dozens of systems I think that this analogy is pretty flawed.

Hmm. Well, I'm rather fond (proud, almost) of the analogy. Quit spoiling my fun. :P Anyway, it wasn't really exclusivity I was thinking of with the analogy. My flow of thoughts may have muddled that up.

Someone wanna poke Keith (Curtis) and tell him to get to work, or is he primarily a cartographer?

Someone wanna poke Keith (Curtis) and tell him to get to work' date=' or is he primarily a cartographer?[/quote']

He does do outstanding work. I would REALLY like to see the maps from Champ Battlegrounds in PDF, in high enough resolution I could print them off to scale (hint hint hint :rolleyes:). The Mall and the Construction Site just beg to be used. I was able to put out fairly decent deck plans for a scifi game using CC2 and few years back. But I am slowly relearning the program. My first project to finish is the Gondola of the Graff Zeppelin. Mostly because it is a small map. But between work and other things progress is slow.

• 3 weeks later...