Speedster limitation

Vestnik

Re: Speedster limitation

Hmm. Remember that velocity and distance are actually (mostly) independent of each other in the Hero System. My character can currently have a running velocity of 50" per Phase but only actually move 3 hexes (or none) on the map this Phase. A little silly in general' date=' but in any case I would probably base the Limitation on velocity rather than distance moved. Remember that velocity does have other effects, such as DCV (using the optional rule or even just the CV/NCV distinction), Move Through/By damage (including incidental damage if the character is Stunned, etc.), and other such dealies.[/quote']

Very true; however:

1) I used the term "stall velocity" in conjunction with inches of movement because that's the way 5ER does it in the rules for flying vehicles, and since that's the sort of effect I was looking for, I just grabbed that idea and wording from the already-existing rules.

2) It's much simpler just to use the inches of combat movement. Some people may insist upon or enjoy calculating the current velocity before figuring out if their character can run up a wall or not; most don't or wouldn't. If you're one of those that does, go for it! If you're not, just using the inches of combat movement is very preferable.

Very true; however:

1) I used the term "stall velocity" in conjunction with inches of movement because that's the way 5ER does it in the rules for flying vehicles, and since that's the sort of effect I was looking for, I just grabbed that idea and wording from the already-existing rules.

2) It's much simpler just to use the inches of combat movement. Some people may insist upon or enjoy calculating the current velocity before figuring out if their character can run up a wall or not; most don't or wouldn't. If you're one of those that does, go for it! If you're not, just using the inches of combat movement is very preferable.

M'ok. I didn't realize that's the way the book did Stall Velocity. Interesting. Anyway, it's a very minor issue.

Point of order/useless trivia.

Basilisks do not have webbed feet. They do have exceptionally long toes however. I know because I used to own one :)

actually that's a point of information. (Debate champion in College)

But still, very interesting. Did it get bigger than they do in the wild?

Good idea. I think there's too many -1/4 lims on there that overlap, though. I prefer:

Surface Tension and Inertia Are My Friends: Clinging (normal STR), Any non-gaseous surface (+1); Cannot resist Knockback (-1/4), Only while running at least a half-move (-1/4), Maximum inverted distance is 1/2 Running combat movement (-0)

20 Active, 13 Real

You might toss on Restrainable though, or Costs END, or a RSR.

I would construct this as:

Surface Tension and Inertia Are My Friends: Clinging (normal STR), Any non-gaseous surface (+1); Linked (Running: -1/2), Only while running at least a half-move (-0), Cannot resist knockback (-1/4), Maximum inverted or vertical distance is 1/2 combat Running (-1/4)

20 Active, 10 Real

After all, you *do* have to use Running to use it... Greater Power must be used at Full Effectiveness is an option in Linked for an additional (-1/4), so I would reckon Only while running at least a half-move to be (-0)... Plus, if there is a limit to running upside down on the ceiling, there is likely a limit on how far you can run straight up a wall as well...

If y'all don't mind, I'm gonna steal this notion for a Speedster I'm building...