An Avengers Campaign

Mark Rand

Re: An Avengers Campaign

So, since this a Marvel-based campaign idea, is Blade in it? After all, he & Dracula go way back and I know Dracula's in the Marvel Universe.

For that matter, what's the position of Dr Strange on the "Powers That Be", with him being top dog in the mojo department?

What's he think of the Watcher's Council?

Did his casting of the Montesi Formula from the Darkhold to destroy all vampires affect the transfer between Slayers back in the late 80's?

Is there a connection between N'Garai Sa'ar Pools & the Hellmouths?

For that matter, is there any relations between Buffy Summers & Scott "Cyclops" Summers?

Was Dr Reed Richards ever called in to examine the Stargate?

Why hasn't Dr Doom gotten all up in SG-1's grill?

What's the connection between the Everglades' Nexus of All Realities & the Hellmouths?

Was the Initiative a branch of SHIELD or simply an independent govt operation?

Does Union Jack work with the Watcher's Council owing to the multigeneration enmity between the Union Jacks & Baron Blood?

What's Baron Mordo up to in all of this?

Will Jack Russell (Werewolf By Night) give Oz any tips on controlling his lycanthropic nature?

Why hasn't Silver Dagger showed up and gone all stabby on the various Guardian Witches-in-training? He hates all other magic-users & thinks he's killing them in the name of God. He'd be frothing at the mouth over the whole Pagan/Witch thing.

Well, I may think of more later.

Lots of questions for me to research and answer.

Blade is still in New York. He didn't get along with the old Watchers Council and broke a Watcher's back after he started his Slayer's Cruciamentum.

Since the Powers that Be are in another reality, Doctor Strange ignores them. He thought the old Watchers Council was a bunch of fools and is reserving his judgement on the new one. The Montesi Formura didn't effect the transfer between Slayers and it's reversal by Marie Leveau vampires are still here.

Buffy and Scott are distant cousins.

More answers to come.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, since this a Marvel-based campaign idea, is Blade in it? After all, he & Dracula go way back and I know Dracula's in the Marvel Universe.

For that matter, what's the position of Dr Strange on the "Powers That Be", with him being top dog in the mojo department?

Did his casting of the Montesi Formula from the Darkhold to destroy all vampires affect the transfer between Slayers back in the late 80's?

For that matter, is there any relations between Buffy Summers & Scott "Cyclops" Summers?

What's the connection between the Everglades' Nexus of All Realities & the Hellmouths?

Does Union Jack work with the Watcher's Council owing to the multigeneration enmity between the Union Jacks & Baron Blood?

Will Jack Russell (Werewolf By Night) give Oz any tips on controlling his lycanthropic nature?

Why hasn't Silver Dagger showed up and gone all stabby on the various Guardian Witches-in-training? He hates all other magic-users & thinks he's killing them in the name of God. He'd be frothing at the mouth over the whole Pagan/Witch thing.

More answers.

Besides being mystical portals, Hellmouths, The Nexus of all Realities, and the Sa'ar Pools that lead to the N'Garai dimension have no connection.

Union Jack and the Old Watchers Council never got along. He is, however, on good terms with the new one, as is the team he's on, The Knights of Pendragon.

Silver Dagger and his team tried to attack Willow several times. Unfortunately, for him, the Scooby Gang attacked his people and ent them to prison.

The Initiative was never part of S.H.I.E.L.D.

More to come.

The last of the answers.

Baron Mordo died of terminal cancer in 1996.

Jack Russell has given Oz tips on controlling his lycanthropic nature and is now helping Nina Ash control hers.

As far as the Stargate goes, I haven't decided if I'm to include it in the campaign universe. If it does, I suspect that an invader from outer space might publicly demand that the Stargates and DHDs be turned over to them. Even if they didn't, due to their contact with alien races, the Avengers, Fantastic Four, and X-Men would know about the project. Also, I think that some of the gods would go after aliens that pretended to be them.

While President Ryan's busy, let's look in on his daughter, Holly. She and her husband, Raul Vasquez, are employed by the Ross Brothers Circus. On the night in question, they were part of a large group listening to the circus band practice.

When he heard about the incident, circus president David Michael Ross walked to the rehearsal building. When the band finished it's number, he took the microphone and announced the news. There were gasps from the assembled people.

Matt Reese, the bandmaster, took a file of scores from the briefcase at his side, found one, placed it on his music stand and stood. "Would everyone please stand," he said. When they did, he added, "This is for all who died," and sounded Taps on his trumpet.

"Organ off," came a female voice.

"Thanks, Mother. How's the ankle?"

"Very sore. I'll visit Catherine and have her take a look at it."

"She's here, Fran," Paul, her husband and the band's drummer, said. "You're clear right," he added after Matt moved his gear.

"Thank you," she said, standing and leaning on her cane. Looking down, she said, "Sugar, we're going right and we'll stop at the edge of the platform, where I'll sit and have my leg tended." She paused, then added, "Forward!" Sugar, her guide dog, complied. Catherine was waiting for Fran when she arrived.

Once Fran was seated on the edge, a reporter who was covering Holly and looking for human interest stories, said, "Your dog's beautiful. What kind is he?"

"She's not my dog," Fran laughed. "I'm her person. Isn't that right, Sugar?" As if in response, Sugar licked, then nuzzled Fran's left ear and, in return, got kissed on her muzzle.

As everyone laughed, Fran said, "We came to a bad spot on the path. Sugar, by her actions, told me that it wasn't safe, but I didn't listen. I should've. Now, in addition to being legally blind, I have a twisted ankle. Fortunately, Catherine is a highly-skilled nurse practitioner and can easily deal with our medical problems."

A few things you may or may not wonder about.

The platform Fran mentioned to Sugar is part of the bandstand.

Mr. Ross used the ringmaster's microphone to make his announcement.

Matt's briefcase, which opens at the top, contains, when full, file folders containing his collection of scores, the book of music for the circus, his closed music stand, clips, and a seldom used conductor's baton.

Sugar is a honey-blonde golden retriever.

Without her glasses, Fran can, when looking down with her arms at her side, see clearly as far as her elbow. Her vision gets increasingly blurry until she sees nothing beyond her wrist. With her glasses on, she can see clearly to her finger tips and sees nothing beyond the middle of her lower leg.

When Matt gives the downbeat, he snaps his fingers, giving Fran her cue.

"Why did a nurse practitioner join a circus?" the reporter asked.

"She was laid off my the hospital she was employed by for her continued complaints about health insurance industry," Fran explained. "According to Catherine, they're interested in their bottom line instead what's best for the patients." As she spoke, Fran caressed Sugar, whose head and front paws rested on her lap.

Across the room, other groups huddled together, seeking comfort. Holly and Raul stood together with Agent Connie Wells close and the rest of the family surrounding them.

Matt grabbed a microphone and announced, "Out of respect for those killed in Washington tonight, we're ending tonight's practice session now. I'll let you know when the next one is. Thank you and good night." He and his father tore the bandstand down while a stretcher was brought from the motorhome Catherine worked out of. Fran was placed on it and carried to the motorhome she and her husband shared. Sugar followed.

Cheyenne' date=' Colorado is Colorado Springs. Since I wanted to use Colorado Springs as the campaign city, but didn't know much about it, I changed the name.[/quote']

I should've said here that Cheyenne is one of two possible cities to be the campaign city. The other is Pittsburgh.

Why else would I put the Avengers in my home town instead of leaving them in New York City?

When I started this thread, I did so because I love The Avengers and forgot that, although grounded, somewhat, in reality, the Marvel Universe is a very complex thing.

I wanted King Arthur to be historical, not mythical, and be the basis for the Marvel UK Knights of Pendragon.

I wanted the Avengers.

I wanted the post season 5 of Angel the series Buffyverse

I wanted to have the possibility of Stargate Command existing.

I wanted someone other than Bush Junior in the White House.

The President's eldest daughter, natural, adopted, or step, is married and a circus performer.

The Vice President's daughter lives with her grandparents and is a Slayer.

Both the First Lady and the Vice President's wife work for a living. One idea is that the VP's wife is a physician and the First Lady is either her office nurse or her office's nurse practitioner.

Guest Major Tom

What's the status quo on time travel in your campaign? Are Reed Richards and

Victor von Doom the only individuals with access to transtemporal technology,

or do government-sponsored projects like Backstep (7 Days) or Tick-Tock

(The Time Tunnel) exist as well?

Oops. I almost forgot about Immortus.

About Slayers (or similar individuals): Does Gabriel exist in this world?

Major Tom :cool:

What's the status quo on time travel in your campaign? Are Reed Richards and

Victor von Doom the only individuals with access to transtemporal technology,

or do government-sponsored projects like Backstep (7 Days) or Tick-Tock

(The Time Tunnel) exist as well?

Oops. I almost forgot about Immortus.

About Slayers (or similar individuals): Does Gabriel exist in this world?

No government time travel projects.

I don't recall who Gabriel is. Could you enlighten me?

Guest Major Tom

No government time travel projects.

I don't recall who Gabriel is. Could you enlighten me?

Gabriel was what Dracula called Van Helsing in the movie Van Helsing.

If he exists in your campaign world, he'd be the oldest living Slayer-type

individual in the world (considering that, by Dracula's account in the film,

Gabriel was somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 - 500 years old by the

time that they met in the late 1880s).

Gabriel was what Dracula called Van Helsing in the movie Van Helsing.

If he exists in your campaign world, he'd be the oldest living Slayer-type

individual in the world (considering that, by Dracula's account in the film,

Gabriel was somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 - 500 years old by the

time that they met in the late 1880s).

Never saw the movie.

As I recall, in an X-Men comic, Wolverine and Storm met Van Helsing's granddaughter, Rachel. During that book, she was turned into a vampire and, at the end, asked Wolverine to kill her.

One last circus posting, then back to Washington and other places.

Connie arrived at the circus the morning of the distruction and spent much of the time touring the grounds. She saw many people and chatted with some of them.

There were Oklahoma State Police officers on the lot in the evening.

After the destruction, Connie left Holly and her husband in the pie car, or snack shop, with two state police officers and walked the lot. She wanted to get a feel for the people and their reactions. Most were trying to cope, but some were two busy to.

Catherine was keeping busy taking care of Fran Reese and other injured and sick people while the Valdez family checked on their charges, the animals. One member of this family, Rumiko Yamamoto Valdez, D.V.M., the show's black-clad vet, was a metahuman who could mentally communicate with animals.

The most unusual of Rumiko's charges was Comet, an African Pigmy Goat with a single horn growing in the middle of its forehead. According to Rumiko, a rare deformity of the generative tissues can cause the horns to be joined together and Comet had this deformity.

Thje reason Bush imposed the rules on the Avengers that he did was to keep them under federal control.

They accepted the rules to keep an eye on him and work within the system to fix major problems that he created.

Then, the explosion occurred and Jack Ryan became President. Fortunately, he's easier to get along with.

In June of 2003, many people gathered to watch Three Rivers Stadium, the home of the Pirates and Steelers for around 30 years, and the University of Pittsburgh Panthers football team for one year, be demolished. Everyone knew that the charges were set with care, to avoid hitting the two new stadiums, Heinz Field and PNC Park.

As they were getting close to the time of the implosion, a voice rang out over the PA system, "I FORBID THIS!!!" A loud screach followed, and both Heinz Field and PNC Park crumbled. Everyone looked around and saw a man in armor hovering nearby.

"You can't do this!" yelled a city official.

"I already did," the armored man said in a quieter voice. "This is what will happen. The Pittsburgh Pirates will buy Three Rivers Stadium, as is, from the authority that owns it for the amount that's still owed on the stadium. They will rent it to both football teams. All teams will stay here for a minimum of 20 years. If the stadium isn't ready when the season starts, you may make arrangements to rent another stadium.

"We will not!" a man in the crowd called out.

"Wrong again," came the response. "If you don't, what happened here will happen in your new city, to your new stadium, while a game is underway. Do you want all those lives on your conscience?"

He paused, then coutinued. "There is more. Ball players are payed too much. Starting this year, all baseball, basketball, and hockey players will receive the same amount, $1,000,000.00 per year, adjusted for inflation. Football players, since they play fewer games, shall receive $!00,000.00 per year, also adjusted for inflation. Additionally, there shall be no signing bonuses, agents, or endorcements. And, with concessionairs paying a flat annual fee to the stadium owners, instead of a percentage to the team, all prices will now be the same as street level." He then vanished.

People were yelling and running round. Once the police calmed everyone down and made a few arrests, "experts" appeared on television to give their views. "This will void all union contracts," one player said. "Nobody will go for it."

"I don't think he cares," another "expert" said.

The next day, crowds gathered at the Pro Football Hall of Fame to hear an NFL representative speak. The representative called the armored man's bluff. The Pro Football Hall of Fame became a pile of rubble. The armored man waved to the crowd and vanished. The NFL representative fainted. The crowd went wild again.

Two hours later, representatives of the University of Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh Steelers announced that they would rent the stadium for at least 20 years. A representative of the Pittsburgh Pirates announced that the team was for sale.

Author's note: The actions taken by the team, university and, league representatives represent what they would do only in my campaign universe and not necessarily what they would do in real life.

NASA will team up with a major university in or near the campaign city to create a center for space medicine. Among its gear are a centrifuge and a multi-axis chair.

Basin City, Colorado, located in the southeastern part of the state and on a river has very corupt officials. Hence, it's nickname of "Sin City." (Although many concepts from the comics, not all characters will be true to their comic counterparts.)

The Tipsy Q Ranch is near Snowy Falls, Colorado, a town too small to show up on most maps. Once a herd of unicorns was discovered on it, many groups planned to make use of it in various ways. Bush planned to turn it into a private hunting retreat for his wealthy and powerful friends, but he was killed before he could sign the executive order.

When Jack Ryan heard about it, he made the ranch a national wildlife refuge and had ranch owners Samuel and Libby Quarrels Coldpony selected as the managers. Neither Senator Kinsey nor Senator Roark, two very wealthy and powerful friends, were happy. President Ryan didn't care.

The unicorns, for the most part, stay in the mountains and forests. However, one, Phyllis, or Phylly, a sturdy mare, lives with the horses. For some reason, Phylly doesn't mind being ridden and prefers to be properly saddled and bridled when being ridden. So far, she's only let two people ride her. One is Alma Coldpony, a tribal shaman and Sam's daughter from a previous marrage. The other is Libby herself.

• 5 months later...

You do realize changing Camelot & King Arthur is a huge deviation from a standard Marvel earth? There's quite a bit of Marvel history that requires a standard King Arthur' date=' complete with Merlin, Camelot, Lancelot & Holy Grail.[/quote']

As I was reading some of my old posts, I just realized that there could be two King Arthurs, a historic one, in the fifth century, and the literary one, in the eleventh century.

How did this happen? Simple. The Pendragon spirits. Although the spirits of Ambrosius Aurelianus (the original Arthur) and the rest of his men had hosts in eleventh century England, Gwenhwyvar (Guinevere) and the other ladies didn't. The Green Knight needed them elsewhere.

As I was reading some of my old posts, I just realized that there could be two King Arthurs, a historic one, in the fifth century, and the literary one, in the eleventh century.

How did this happen? Simple. The Pendragon spirits. Although the spirits of Ambrosius Aurelianus (the original Arthur) and the rest of his men had hosts in eleventh century England, Gwenhwyvar (Guinevere) and the other ladies didn't. The Green Knight needed them elsewhere.

Well, that works out all right then. After all, you can then have Dane Whitman, the Black Knight, possess ties to multiple iterations of the Arthurian cycle. It also lets you keep Otherworld and all that fun Captain Britain Corps stuff going without ditching the Knights of Pendragon.

Now, where does the Maha Yogi fit into all this? :)

An evil mutant who once pretended to be Merlin.He eventually put himself into suspended animation until the 20th century' date='where he battled Thor (and lost,of course).[/quote']

Thanks for the information.

I'm kicking around an idea for a game set in a version of the Marvel Universe that split from the mainstream one in 330 (or so) BC, but parallels the main one fairly closely. This lets me whoever I want into it.

Thanks for the information.

I'm kicking around an idea for a game set in a version of the Marvel Universe that split from the mainstream one in 330 (or so) BC, but parallels the main one fairly closely. This lets me whoever I want into it.

All right. This still leaves you dealing with Celestial intervention & the creation of the Eternals and Deviants during our Cro-Magnon/Neanderthal era. This is also when the DNA sequences were implanted in humanity to allow mutants and survivor mutations to occur. Then there's the Kree, who, having discovered the Eternals when a group of the later encounter and destroy a Kree Sentry robot investigate Earth. End result, another hidden race known as the Inhumans as well as an observation outpost, later abandoned, on the Moon known as the Blue Area.

Are you going to keep Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age stuff in continuity? It does give you the Serpent People, Conan, Red Sonja, Kulan Gath & King Kull to name but a few possibilities.

Don't forget when the alien race known as the Beyonders engineer the Savage Land.

Here, check this out.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/index.htm

Specifically, scope out some of the stuff around back then.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/appera.htm

So many subplots, so little time, y'know?

All right. This still leaves you dealing with Celestial intervention & the creation of the Eternals and Deviants during our Cro-Magnon/Neanderthal era. This is also when the DNA sequences were implanted in humanity to allow mutants and survivor mutations to occur. Then there's the Kree, who, having discovered the Eternals when a group of the later encounter and destroy a Kree Sentry robot investigate Earth. End result, another hidden race known as the Inhumans as well as an observation outpost, later abandoned, on the Moon known as the Blue Area.

Are you going to keep Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age stuff in continuity? It does give you the Serpent People, Conan, Red Sonja, Kulan Gath & King Kull to name but a few possibilities.

Don't forget when the alien race known as the Beyonders engineer the Savage Land.

Here, check this out.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/index.htm

Specifically, scope out some of the stuff around back then.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/appera.htm

So many subplots, so little time, y'know?

Thanks for the information. I owe you rep.

I chose that particular era as the dividing line because I wanted to include Xena-style Amazons in the universe background. There still may be some of them out there.