An Avengers Campaign

Mark Rand

This campaign is set in my own version of the Marvel Universe. Except for a few changes, it is identical to the mainstream Marvel Universe until it branched off the original in 1995.

The first change occurred in Britain in 428 AD, when Ambrosius Aurelianus, a Roman officer, joined with his men and a group of Pict men and women to fight invaders. Once the war was over, he married a Pict woman and they were proclaimed king and queen. Over the centuries, the tale grew and changed until Ambrosius became Arthur, an English king. His queen, Gwenhwyvar, who had the right to take whoever she wanted as a lover, became Guinevere, whose relationship with Lancelot ended the Round Table. Additionally, their castle, a timber frame hill fort, located near what is now the village of South Cadbury in Somerset, became a stone castle known as Camelot.

The second and last change came in 1979, when junk dealer Harry Broderick and a group of associates built the Vulture, a spaceship made entirely of junk. After a number ofadventures, Broderick and his associates donated their ship and momentos to the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

Around 1995, the Avengers tried to get the federal government to let them put branch teams in various cities around the country. They also wanted to, with permission from various countries, station teams in them. Until 9/11, their pleas fell on deaf ears.

After that, the United States government agreed, if the New York team would move to Washington and one new team would be placed in each time zone, plus one in Hawaii. They also insisted on supplying the medical, communications, and security personal.

The PCs are an Avengers team.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: An Avengers Campaign

The Avengers told their Washington contacts that they'd like to have their branch teams in Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, and New York and the Washington team within the District itself. The Washington contact told them that, since Uncle Sam is paying much of the bill, it has the right to decide where the teams go.

The Washington, D.C. team would be placed somewhere within the Beltway. They'd tell the Avengers where the other teams would be placed as soon as the President, Congress, Cabinet, and Joint Chiefs agreed on locations.

By mid 2003, the main team, now the Washington team, was moved to its new headquarters in College Park, Maryland, which is just inside the Beltway.

The next day, people began evacuating the small town of Sunnydale, California. Three days after the evacuation began, an earthquake dropped the city into a crater. The last vehicle out, a small yellow school bus, managed to miss falling into the crater by inches.

Three months later, the Los Angeles team was approved. In May of 2004, the Sunnydale Crater National Park was dedicated. On June 4, 2004, Avengers Chicago was approved.

On June 8, Los Angeles was invaded by an army of strange beings and dragons. With the aid of the Los Angeles Avengers team, local heroes, the police, national guard, and military stopped them. It was then revealed that supernatural evil exists and that the Watchers Council, an ancient organization for good, in conjunction with the Cheyenne, Colorado Police Department, trains people to fight the evil. The United States Air Force then invited them to use the USAF Academy, located just outside Cheyenne, Colorado as a base. After some discussion, they accepted the offer.

In January of 2005, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania became home to an Avengers team. Also then, George W. Bush was sworn in for his second term as President.

On the day of the State of the Union address, Jack Ryan, one of George's Cabinet menbers, was selected to stay in the White House. While he was being briefed by the President, Jack's children watched television in the Blue Room and his wife, Cathy, a world-class eye surgeon and professor at the Johns Hopkins University Medical School, stood in the doorway and talked with Secret Service agent Andrea Price.

"I'm still not completely clear on who your eldest daughter is a fifth-generation circus performer," Andrea admitted.

"We adopted her when she was 14, after her parents, both fourth-generation circus performers, died when their trapeze rigging failed," Cathy explained. "Under the terms of the adoption papers, she got to stay with the circus during the summer months."

"I see," Andrea said, fingering the keys that Cathy had earlier passed to her.

"If necessary, can you protect her?" Cathy asked.

"Sure," Andrea replied. "If, due to fate, Secretary Ryan becomes President, she's agreed to accept protection, as long as we don't try and run the circus. We've agreed to that. Agent Connie Wells is already there. If nothing happens, and I hope it doesn't, she'll stay overnight and leave tomorrow morning."

"Fine," Cathy said.

Two minutes into the President's speech, something happened. A jetliner crashed into the House Chamber of the Capitol and exploded.

Alright, this is like the 5th thread of yours that I've attempted to read but have given up.

Could you please put a little more formatting into your posts so they are a bit easier to read. Sometimes presentation really does count.

TB

EDIT: Re-reading this, I think it's a little harsher than I meant. I've read your posts, some really cool timelines and such, but I have a very hard time reading it due to the formatting. That's main point.

Alright, this is like the 5th thread of yours that I've attempted to read but have given up.

Could you please put a little more formatting into your posts so they are a bit easier to read. Sometimes presentation really does count.

TB

EDIT: Re-reading this, I think it's a little harsher than I meant. I've read your posts, some really cool timelines and such, but I have a very hard time reading it due to the formatting. That's main point.

I'll be happy to, if you tell me where to fix the formatting. Oh, Cheyenne, Colorado is this world's version of Colorado Springs.

I'll be happy to' date=' if you tell me where to fix the formatting. Oh, Cheyenne, Colorado is this world's version of Colorado Springs.[/quote']

I think it's mainly making some space between "paragraphs".

To take the first post as an example (edited for spacing):

This campaign is set in my own version of the Marvel Universe. Except for a few changes, it is identical to the mainstream Marvel Universe until it branched off the original in 1995.

The first change occurred in Britain in 428 AD, when Ambrosius Aurelianus, a Roman officer, joined with his men and a group of Pict men and women to fight invaders. Once the war was over, he married a Pict woman and they were proclaimed king and queen.

Over the centuries, the tale grew and changed until Ambrosius became Arthur, an English king. His queen, Gwenhwyvar, who had the right to take whoever she wanted as a lover, became Guinevere, whose relationship with Lancelot ended the Round Table. Additionally, their castle, a timber frame hill fort, located near what is now the village of South Cadbury in Somerset, became a stone castle known as Camelot.

The second and last change came in 1979, when junk dealer Harry Broderick and a group of associates built the Vulture, a spaceship made entirely of junk. After a number ofadventures, Broderick and his associates donated their ship and momentos to the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

Around 1995, the Avengers tried to get the federal government to let them put branch teams in various cities around the country. They also wanted to, with permission from various countries, station teams in them. Until 9/11, their plees fell on deaf ears.

After that, the United States government agreed, if the New York team would move to Washington and one new team would be placed in each time zone, plus one in Hawaii. They also insisted on supplying the medical, communications, and security personal.

The PCs are an Avengers team.

Easier on these old eyes, easier to read/skim.

I think it's mainly making some space between "paragraphs".

To take the first post as an example (edited for spacing):

Easier on these old eyes, easier to read/skim.

Done.

Thank you for suggesting it. I'm always looking for ways to make my posts better.

The first change occurred in Britain in 428 AD, when Ambrosius Aurelianus, a Roman officer, joined with his men and a group of Pict men and women to fight invaders. Once the war was over, he married a Pict woman and they were proclaimed king and queen. Over the centuries, the tale grew and changed until Ambrosius became Arthur, an English king. His queen, Gwenhwyvar, who had the right to take whoever she wanted as a lover, became Guinevere, whose relationship with Lancelot ended the Round Table. Additionally, their castle, a timber frame hill fort, located near what is now the village of South Cadbury in Somerset, became a stone castle known as Camelot.

You do realize changing Camelot & King Arthur is a huge deviation from a standard Marvel earth? There's quite a bit of Marvel history that requires a standard King Arthur, complete with Merlin, Camelot, Lancelot & Holy Grail.

You do realize changing Camelot & King Arthur is a huge deviation from a standard Marvel earth? There's quite a bit of Marvel history that requires a standard King Arthur' date=' complete with Merlin, Camelot, Lancelot & Holy Grail.[/quote']

Rep to you for coming up with an excelllent question.

Much of the answer comes from the Marvel UK series Knights of Pendragon. In it, the Green Knight, an extradimensional being, gives the Pendragon power to a group of people to fight evil. His arch-enemy, the Red Lord, or Red Knight, empowers people to, with the aid of the Bane, his servants, to do evil.

Arthur and his followers were empowered by the Green Knight. Their foes were empowered, or posessed, by the Red Lord and the Bane.

Rep to you for coming up with an excelllent question.

Much of the answer comes from the Marvel UK series Knights of Pendragon. In it, the Green Knight, an extradimensional being, gives the Pendragon power to a group of people to fight evil. His arch-enemy, the Red Lord, or Red Knight, empowers people to, with the aid of the Bane, his servants, to do evil.

Arthur and his followers were empowered by the Green Knight. Their foes were empowered, or posessed, by the Red Lord and the Bane.

Interesting. Are you going to use Merlin of Otherworld to allow for the creation of the Black Knight & his Ebony Blade? Keeps him around and still leaves you room to work in the Captain Britain Corps.

On a side note, you'll need to hand-wave Morgan Le Fay & Modred as being from Otherworld as well. She may have worked with and possibly hosted a Bane spirit at one time, but she's also a skilled sorceress in her own right. Anything else on her and you have the 'Le Fay' Bane sealed up for centuries and what fun is that?

On the bright side, using the Pendragon & Bane spirits works pretty good for the Iron Man/Dr Doom time travel to Camelot story. After all, he's already a Pnedragon ally and this would help account for his identification by the Gawain-bot as Sir Bedevere's current host.

Interesting. Are you going to use Merlin of Otherworld to allow for the creation of the Black Knight & his Ebony Blade? Keeps him around and still leaves you room to work in the Captain Britain Corps.

On a side note, you'll need to hand-wave Morgan Le Fay & Modred as being from Otherworld as well. She may have worked with and possibly hosted a Bane spirit at one time, but she's also a skilled sorceress in her own right. Anything else on her and you have the 'Le Fay' Bane sealed up for centuries and what fun is that?

On the bright side, using the Pendragon & Bane spirits works pretty good for the Iron Man/Dr Doom time travel to Camelot story. After all, he's already a Pnedragon ally and this would help account for his identification by the Gawain-bot as Sir Bedevere's current host.

In Arthur's time, Merlin was a title, not a name. The possessor was Taliesin, a bard, archdruid, Pendragon host, and Guinevere's father. The Merlin of Overworld is his soul.

The Otherworld Morgan Le Fay is the soul of the original Morgan, who hosted a Bane spirit. She has been known, from time to time, to posess women and use them for evil.

In Arthur's time, Merlin was a title, not a name. The possessor was Taliesin, a bard, archdruid, Pendragon host, and Guinevere's father. The Merlin of Overworld is his soul.

The Otherworld Morgan Le Fay is the soul of the original Morgan, who hosted a Bane spirit. She has been known, from time to time, to posess women and use them for evil.

This would explain why both of them are so blasted hard to keep dead.

Continuing on, we have The Lady of the Lake, the Holy Grail, and Excalibur.

In ancient times, the Mother Goddess was worshiped by many of the people above Hadrian's Wall. She had priestesses, but not priests. The most holy of her sites was a loch that was inhabited by merfolk and thought to lead right to Avalon. It was known as Loch Avalon and the temple near it known as the Avalon Temple. The priestesses were known as the Ladies of Avalon. The High Priestess was known as the Lady of the Loch.

In Arthur's time, Vivianne was the Lady of the Loch. She and a number of her priestesses became Pendragon hosts. When they died, their souls went to Otherworld. Vivianne became an advisor to the king and her priestesses assisted her. Their Pendragon energy occasionally choose other hosts, all are women dedicated to justice.

The Holy Grail is sentient and likes to wander the multiverse. When in Overworld, it stays with Raven, a priestess of Vivianne's, who, when alive, took a vow of silence.

Excalibur was Arthur's father's sword. He took it from his tombstone.

Okay, now back to Washington, D.C.

Moments after the explosion, Cathy Ryan, still in scrubs, reached for paper and pen, wrote something on it, passed it to Andrea, and said, "That's the combination to our alarm."

"Understood," Andrea said. "I'll make sure your clothes is brought here. How are you doing?"

"Not bad," Cathy replied. "I will be when what happened finally hits me."

"We'll take the kids downstairs," Andrea said as Kathy Nakamura, Bonnie Clark, and Ginger Carter arrived.

"Anything we can do?" Ginger, a slender blonde, asked.

"I need the kids taken so a safe room downstairs," Andrea replied.

"I'll do it," Ginger said. Andrea nodded and the kids left with her as Jack arrived.

"Ginger's taken the kids downstairs," Andrea said.

"Good," Jack said. "Who's head of the Secret Service?"

Andrea mentioned a name, then added, "He's dead, just like the other agents at the capitol."

"You're the new head," Jack said.

"Yes, Mr. President," Andrea said.

"The Deputy Attorney-General is now the Acting Attorney-General," Jack said. "We'll also need a federal judge to swear me in."

"We'll arrange it," Andrea said as they walked to the Situation Room.

"I assume you have a way of keeping vampires away from us." Jack said.

"Yes, sir," Andrea said. "In 2003, after Sunnydale fell into a crater, Riley Finn came to our office and told us all about vampires, Slayers, and such. Buffy Summers, the lead Slayer, offered to provide Watcher training for any of us that we wanted to have it and provide experts in undead removal for us."

"A Slayer?" Jack asked.

"Slayers and Guardian Witches," Andrea said. "Since they're working with law enforcement agencies, all of Buffy's people have to have police training. Most are trained by the Cheyenne, Colorado Police Department. One Slayer was a policewoman in Denver when she was Called. Another is now in her senior year at Colorado State majoring in criminology. When she graduates and plans to join the Cheyenne Police Department as a crime scene investigator."

"Who are our Slayers?" Jack asked as Cathy's cell phone beeped.

"It's the hospital," she said after looking at it. "I have to take this."

"Go ahead," Jack said as Cathy took the call. Turning to Andrea, he asked, "You were saying?"

"Kathy Nakamura, Bonnie Clark, and Ginger Carter handle that task when they're not working in the Communications Office," Andrea explained.

"I see," Jack said. "Are all three Slayers?"

"No," Andrea replied. "Kathy is a skilled ninja and our Slayer. "Bonnie and Ginger are Guardian Witches."

"Superheroes in the White House," Jack guessed.

"Almost," Mr. President," Bonnie, an African-American woman said. "We're communications staffers with super powers. We keep undead away from the President and, when asked, help the Secret Service."

"Anyone know where the last Avengers base is going to be?" Jack asked.

"The United States Air Force Academy," Kathy replied.

So, since this a Marvel-based campaign idea, is Blade in it? After all, he & Dracula go way back and I know Dracula's in the Marvel Universe.

For that matter, what's the position of Dr Strange on the "Powers That Be", with him being top dog in the mojo department?

What's he think of the Watcher's Council?

Did his casting of the Montesi Formula from the Darkhold to destroy all vampires affect the transfer between Slayers back in the late 80's?

Is there a connection between N'Garai Sa'ar Pools & the Hellmouths?

For that matter, is there any relations between Buffy Summers & Scott "Cyclops" Summers?

Was Dr Reed Richards ever called in to examine the Stargate?

Why hasn't Dr Doom gotten all up in SG-1's grill?

What's the connection between the Everglades' Nexus of All Realities & the Hellmouths?

Was the Initiative a branch of SHIELD or simply an independent govt operation?

Does Union Jack work with the Watcher's Council owing to the multigeneration enmity between the Union Jacks & Baron Blood?

What's Baron Mordo up to in all of this?

Will Jack Russell (Werewolf By Night) give Oz any tips on controlling his lycanthropic nature?

Why hasn't Silver Dagger showed up and gone all stabby on the various Guardian Witches-in-training? He hates all other magic-users & thinks he's killing them in the name of God. He'd be frothing at the mouth over the whole Pagan/Witch thing.

Well, I may think of more later.