Creating the Silver Age Team

Powerhouse

Re: Creating the Silver Age Team

In case you were wondering, I didn't abandon the thread but got caught up working on Athena (I decided to go with the Greek name). Her powers were a little tough to define (and thank you everyone who made suggestions, they were wonderful and those that aren't on the 350 pt version may make it to a higher point one).

I made her character a little more complex than originally intended but I think it's ok, kinda a more Marvel Silver Age personality and problems than DC. I'll post the character sheet shortly but decided to toss her background out. It's kinda crude but I think keeping with the Silver Age (best I could whip up in less than an hour anyway). As always, comments and advice is great, thanks.

History: Life didn't start out easy for Cassandra "Cassie" Galanis of New York City. Her father died in a manufacturing accident before she was born and her mother, died in childbirth. Although raised by her kind aunt Aleisa, Cassie would often be alone as her guardian worked a variety of jobs to support them. In her poor and rough Greek neighborhood, Cassie was an easy target for the other children and some adults who taunted her for lacking parents. Sometimes the taunts turned to violence until she found it easier to stay away everyone.

Alone in her aunt's small apartment, Cassie would read tales of adventures, far off places, and heroes. Often, she would even pretend to be in the stories on these grand quests and lose herself in these fantastic worlds, which seemed to hold far more for her than the cruel and mundane world. Her favorite stories were the myths from her native Greece and in these she could immerse herself for hours amidst visions of centaurs, warriors, and gods. As time went on, she became more studious and poured her heart into increasingly sophisticated drawings.

Her studies paid off, earning a scholarship to a prestigious girl's school in the heart of Manhattan. This, she hoped, would be a ticket to a better life and she was partly right. Although she fit in well with the academics, socially she was as miserable as ever. Her accent and customs were an ill fit with the well-heeled girls of her classes. Still, Cassie preserved.

A lucky break came her way when a paper won her a paid spot on a class trip to Greece. Visiting the lands of her culture, Cassie felt a connection as if she was almost home. These feelings came to a head one day when the class was visiting some old ruins and an earthquake struck, burying her with several classmates. Although most of the girls were either unconscious or in shock, Cassie felt strangely at peace with her attention instead upon an antechamber that had not been there before. Within was an altar of bronze with a shield that she recognized as Athena's Aegis shield. Drawn to its irresistibly, Cassie touched it and felt power flow through her.

Transformed into a powerhouse, she knew that she could free herself and the others. But a voice whispered that she must be careful lest her actions bring down the ceiling. With this guidance, she found a safe spot and tunneled to safety. As the light and fresh air hit her, Cassie felt the power leave her and she passed out. In her dreams, the goddess came to her and told her that she was worthy to be Athena's avatar. A time of turmoil was coming to Earth and guardians would be needed. She could call upon Athena and be filled with the goddess' strength, courage and wisdom.

Back in New York, Cassie has taken her first steps as a hero as she learns how to use her powers and tries to figure out what this strange destiny of hers is.

Personality: Cassie is a very shy and studious girl who wanted little more than to make a better life for herself and her aunt. Now, she has been entrusted with great power and responsibility and she worries that she will be found wanting. Perhaps her greatest fear is that she will get angry and unleash her powers on her tormentors. To avoid this, she continues to be meek around them but occasionally she grows frustrated. It would be so easy… but she knows that it would be wrong and that is not why she was given these powers. Instead, she is to be the protector to the powerless.

As Athena, Cassandra is much more confident and assured. She enjoys the momentary freedom from the fear and the thrill of the adventure that she gets as well as the chance to help others. She's smart enough to realize that this is strange and worries at times. The wisdom and courage of Athena is an incredible boon but she is never sure whether it is her own thoughts or Athena's that guide her.

Powers: Cassandra can transform herself into an avatar of Athena. Besides significantly heightened physical attributes, she also gains some of the goddess' knowledge which manifests itself in a number of ways. The aegis shield she can use for defense or throw boomerang style.

Appearance: in her normal appearance, Cassandra is a thin 15 year old girl with a dark complexion and black hair. She is cute in a shy and geeky way with glasses. As Athena, she is a six feet tall woman with an athletic figure and clad in a classic Greek toga (cut for performance) with simple adornments of gold. She is very beautiful with wavy black hair, gray eyes, and a commanding presence.

Notes: Cassie is unaware than Buffy Vanderbilt, one of her chief tormentors, saw her transform into Athena to free them from the ruins. Buffy is keeping that secret to herself… for now.

Regarding Athena's shield, this is only one of four artifacts wherin her powers are locked away. Her spear, helmet, and armor wait to be found by Cassie. Also, some of the aegis shield's powers are locked away. As she gains more experience, proves worthy, and find the other three artifacts, she will grow more powerful

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's is Athena herself. As you can see, she's a little light on Disadvantages so if someone could mention some possibilities, that'd be great. I need to come up with a personal nemesis for her. Also another psych limit would help. While I could give her something like Protect Innocents (Protect Innocents/Code of her Hero and CvK I tend to overuse), something else would be nice. Again, thanks. And as always, comments and suggestions are great.

Athena

Player:

Val Char Cost

10/50 STR 0

13/23 DEX 9

13/25 CON 6

10/13 BODY 0

18 INT 8

18 EGO 2

25 PRE 5

24 COM 2

3/22 PD 1

3/20 ED 0

4/5 SPD 7

5/15 REC 0

26/50 END 0

22/51 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2"/10" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 40

Cost Power

Transformation to Athena

32 1) +40 STR (40 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

24 2) +10 DEX (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

19 3) +12 CON (24 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

5 4) +3 BODY (6 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

11 5) +7 EGO (14 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

8 6) +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 7) +10 COM (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

9 8) +11 PD (11 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

12 9) +15 ED (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

8 10) +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

24 Divine Flight: Flight 15" (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

40 Aegis Shield: Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4u 1) Thrown Shield: Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4u 2) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), + 5 levels, Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 Damage Resistance (5 PD/5 ED) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

5 See through lies: Detect Lies 14- (Unusual Group), Sense (6 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

5 See the Truth: +3 PER with all Sense Groups (9 Active Points); Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

8 Know the Enemy: Find Weakness 11- with Martial Strike (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 Divine Mind: Mental Defense (9 points total) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

6 Instant Change: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (10 Active Points); Limited Target (clothes) (-1/2), Incantation: Prayer of Athena (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 236

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Ancient Greek Martial Arts, Only in Heroic ID

4 1) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR / 65 STR vs. Grabs

3 2) Hold: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 20 STR / 60 STR for holding on

3 3) Sacrifice Throw: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 / 10d6 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls

3 4) Slam: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 / 10d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 5) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 6) Martial Strike (Punch/Kick): 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 / 12d6 Strike

Martial Arts Cost: 16

Cost Skill

2 Acrobatics 12- (14-) (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2 Breakfall 12- (14-) (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

3 Deduction 13-

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: General Art (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 13-

1 2) KS: General Culture (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 13-

1 3) KS: General History (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 13-

2 4) KS: Greek History (3 Active Points) 13-

2 5) KS: Greek Mythology (3 Active Points) 13-

4 Defense Maneuver I-II (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 Language: Greek (idiomatic)

3 PS: Artist 13-

2 SS: General Science 13- (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2 Tactics 13- (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

3 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons (4 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) (4 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

16 +2 Overall (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

6 +1 with All Combat (8 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

Skills Cost: 57

Total Character Cost: 349

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Accidental Change: If takes BODY damage 11- (Common)

20 Psychological Limitation: Cods vs Killing (Common, Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Shy and Withdrawn (suffers a -2 penalty on most Interaction Skill rolls) (Common, Strong, Not in superhero form)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of the Weak and Helpless (Common, Total)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: 15 year old minor (Frequently, Minor)

5 Money: Poor

15 Dependent NPC: Aleisa Galanis (aging aunt) 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

15 Hunted: Legion of Evil 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: School bullies 11- (Less Pow, Mildly Punish (taunting and cruel tricks))

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 24

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Wow, this thread has been quiet. Did I bore anyone?

Let's see, I kinda like my take on Athena but it's also leading me to change Glamour around to make her older. As always, these are works in progress. I kinda like Athena right now since she has that Spiderman-esque quality in that she has real, teenager problems. That, combined with her Wonder Woman/Captain Marvel homage I think captures the Silver Age nicely.

Next up is the 350 pt Doctor Atomic. His character is simpler but hits the basics. As a Superman homage, I put in a few touches like the beautiful scientist/desired love interest and a the scientific rival who might one day become a villain. Also, in his secret ID he's somewhat mild-mannered.

So here we go:

History: a scientific prodigy, Kevin Turner had turned his focus to atomic energy with its promises of a batter world. If harnessed properly, the benefits to mankind would be beyond belief. Graduating with his doctorate at only 21, he was quickly snatched up at OmniCorp and attached to a team of scientists designing the next generation of nuclear reactors.

Almost immediately, the idealistic physicist came into conflict with the almost equally brilliant Luther Cole. Frequently they would clash over theory. Even more frequently, they would argue over the pace of progress with Kevin favoring a safer and steady approach while his rival berated him for timidity. Not very forceful, Kevin would back down often and would work on his theories in secret even as Cole became the more prominent of the two.

The rivalry only intensified when a new scientist, Lisa Lennan, joined the team. As beautiful as she was intelligent, she helped to reconcile the two men's theories though not their personality conflicts. Indeed, both men began to court her although Kevin would often lose to the more charming and confident Luther.

Luther sabotaged Kevin's experimental reactor before a critical test to embarrass him. Instead, the reactor overloaded and bathed Kevin in intense radiation. For weeks he was at death's door and Lisa stayed by his side. Eventually he would recover in what some considered a miracle. In truth though, as Kevin would soon discover, he had more than recovered. Supercharged with atomic energy, he was now one of the most powerful beings on the planet.

A good man at heart, Kevin knew that his powers, like his own projects, were mean for the good of all mankind. Although he had never considered himself a brave or forceful man, he nevertheless decided to step out into the world as Doctor Atomic, Man of the Atom and protector of the innocent.

Personality: Kevin is still trying to reconcile himself as a superhero. He means well but feels overwhelmed at times and wonders how the previous heroes of the Golden Age managed. He tries very hard to project the image of a strong-jawed and noble hero. Even if he sometimes feels out of his depth.

Despite his fears, the man is far braver and suited to the role than he realizes and seems to grow into the role every day. With a strong sense of ethics, desire to protect people, and dedication to his fellow man, he is a shining example of this new generation of heroes and others often look him up to him.

Out of costume, Kevin is a true scientist to a fault who doesn't always quite understand why everyone else isn't interested in why uranium needs to be enriched for a nuclear reactor. He can lock himself up for days working on a problem until an outside force batters its way into his little world. Lisa is one such force…

Powers/Abilities: The radiation accident supercharged Doctor Atomic, raising his strength and durability to levels not seen even in the Golden Age of heroes. He can also project the radiation outward to provide flight and energy blasts.

In combat, Doctor Atomic prefers to use offer his enemies a chance to surrender because it's the right thing but also he worries that he could really hurt someone. That is also why he tries to outthink his opponents which is more fun anyway.

Appearance: Kevin is tall at 6'2" with broad shoulders but otherwise normal build. Exposure to radiation filled him out quite a bit and he tends to hide his more powerful physique with a lab coat. That, along with an old tendency to hunch, helps to disguise him. His costume is white with a blue half mask and cape. A classic atomic symbol adorns his chest.

Role: Doctor Atomic is a silver age Superman with emphasis on atomic power since radiation-induced powers was quite common. As a new hero, he is still learning the ropes but shows signs of what he will become: the greatest hero of the Silver Age.

Notes: at present, Doctor Atomic suspects that Luther was responsible for the accident but lacks proof. As he searches for proof, he also guards his present work and continues to try to date Lisa even as his rival courts her.

Doctor Atomic

Player:

Val Char Cost

60 STR 50

20 DEX 30

28 CON 36

13 BODY 6

23 INT 13

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

14 COM 2

25 PD 13

25 ED 19

5 SPD 20

18 REC 0

56 END 0

57 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

12" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 201

Cost Power

60 Atomic Blast: Energy Blast 12d6

38 Atomic Flight: Flight 19"

20 Atomic Hardened Skin: Damage Resistance (20 PD/20 ED)

2 Radiation Resistance: Life Support (Safe in High Radiation)

2 Radiation Resistance: Power Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only against radiation attacks (-1)

5 Radiation Sense: Detect Radiation 14- (no Sense Group), Range (8 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2)

Powers Cost: 127

Cost Skill

3 Electronics 14-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Nuclear Physics 14- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Physics 14- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: SubAtomic Physics 14- (3 Active Points)

3 +1 with punch, grab, and haymaker

2 +1 with Atomic Blast

Skills Cost: 17

Cost Perk

2 Reputation: Popular Superhero (A large group) 11-, +1/+1d6

Perks Cost: 2

Cost Talent

3 Lightning Calculator

Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Susceptibility: Argonite, 3d6 damage per Phase (Uncommon)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Hero (Very Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Tries to outthink normal opponents rather than hurt them (Common, Moderate)

15 Hunted: The Mad Doctor Murdock 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Nuclear Nightmare 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Rogues Gallery 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Dependent NPC: Scientist Girlfriend 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

10 Reputation: Heroic Superhero who will help anyone, 11-

5 Rivalry: Professional and Romantic (Fellow Scientist), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry

Disadvantage Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

And, as always, comments and advice are appreciated. I'm starting to feel like I'm dialing in the team. Interestingly though, I'm getting conflicted over DC vs Marvel Silver Age. The DC characters were simpler in personality and that gets... boring. I'm actually stuck on the next character, Solaris (a Green Lantern homage): in both cases he was an astronaut but in one he's just a hotshot pilot like Hal Jordan. Workable enough.

The other though he lost his family in a car crash and truly seemed to become a man without fear... because he had nothing to live for. When he is adrift in space, an alien presence comments on his "courage" and asks if he can as brave in life as he can be facing death. In effect, he is reborn with a new mission and powers. This take, with a hero having flaws, is much Marvel-like at least IMHO.

Comments and suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

The thread that will not die! Below is yet another first draft of a Sentinel. I'm trying to capture the feel of Green Lantern but also the cosmically powered hero that evokes the comic book stories set in space (like Silver Surfer or Rom). Also, you have the test pilot/astronaut and exposure to strange radiation: all staples of the Silver Age.

That said, I'm not happy with the build. I think that he's too power heavy and should have more skills but then again, I suppose that with experience points, the writer can put in skills that Solaris learned but didn't have cause to use until that issue. I might decrease his powers a bit but not sure from where since I like him to have alot of options given how flexible the special effect (solar energy/gravity manipulation) is. Also, he's not cosmic enough (ie no FTL, Cosmic Awareness, etc) although that could come as he grows into his powers. The first stories he's just learning his powers and then as time goes on and his role is more clear, he can graduate so to speak.

Solaris

Player:

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

23 DEX 39

23 CON 26

11 BODY 2

13 INT 3

13 EGO 6

20 PRE 10

16 COM 3

6/22 PD 3

6/22 ED 1

5 SPD 17

8 REC 0

50 END 2

32 STUN 1

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 118

Cost Power

60 Solar and Gravity Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve

6u 1) Solar Blast: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points)

6u 2) Solar Flash: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points)

6u 3) Too Heavy to Move: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (60 Active Points)

6u 4) Gravity Manipulation: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points)

6u 5) Gravity Manipulation: Force Wall (12 PD/12 ED) (60 Active Points)

4u 6) White Dwarf Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

20 Gravity Manipulation: Elemental Control, 40-point powers

20 1) Flight 20" (40 Active Points)

20 2) Flight 11", MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (38 Active Points)

20 3) Force Field (16 PD/16 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (40 Active Points)

13 Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points); Linked (Force Field; -1/2)

7 Instant Change: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (into and out of Superhero costume) (10 Active Points); Limited Target (Clothes) Limited (-1/2)

5 Lucky SOB: Luck 1d6

Powers Cost: 199

Cost Skill

5 Combat Piloting 15-

2 KS: US Airforce Procedures 11-

3 Navigation (Air, Space) 12-

3 Seduction 13-

1 Tactics 8-

5 TF: Science Fiction & Space Vehicles, Combat Aircraft, Helicopters, Large Planes, Small Planes

2 WF: Small Arms

8 +1 with All Combat

Skills Cost: 29

Cost Perk

4 Fringe Benefit: Airforce Captain

Perks Cost: 4

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Physics Killing attacks (Very Common)

15 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Physical Killing Attacks (Very Common)

20 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Showoff (Very Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protect Innocents (Very Common, Moderate)

15 Dependent NPC: Girlfriend of the week 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

25 25 pts of Hunted

And some background although it's more perfunctory and not intended to be great writing:

Background: Matt Thompson was always known as a man without fear. Whether taking any dare as a boy, playing quarterback as the smallest man on the field, or becoming a fighter pilot, nothing seemed to disturb his demeanor. These nerves of steel lead him to great success as a daring pilot but also got him into trouble until a court martial seemed inevitable.

Ultimately, Matt met his match: a petite but fiery redhead who wasn't easily impressed or intimidated. The two fell in love, married, and soon had a family. As his time in the Airforce approached its end, the couple contemplated a quieter life where the most dangerous thing that Matt would face was the possibility of being late for a future job as an airline pilot.

And then his world turned upside down. Coming back from his final mission over the tracer seared skies of Vietnam, Matt was met by his superior officer and the chaplain. His family had been killed in a car accident.

He underwent the counseling and seemed to the world to be fine but he shifted from the safety of a commercial airline to the world of test piloting where life and death is often separated by a razor's edge. No matter how dangerous the test or advanced the craft, Matt always pushed the plane to its limit to glean information for the engineers He would even, when the plan got away from him, do all in his power to salvage the flight and land safely. Only at the very last second would he eject to safety. His reputation as fearless grew.

His time away from the job had its own thrills as he raced his sports car too fast, gambled, drank, and chased any beautiful woman who caught his eye. His antics should have gotten in his trouble but his skills and easy charm kept him safe.

Eventually, Matt received an invitation to join NASA to assist in the testing of the Ares I: a craft that might be able to reach the surface of Mars in only a month. Powered by nuclear reactor drive that was fueled by a new isotope, the ship was beyond cutting edge and highly dangerous. There were even concerns that the experimental radiation shielding would be insufficient to protect the pilot. Matt's response was: "When do I start?"

The answer would be six months later as Ares I rocketed towards Earth's red neighbor. Within an hour, the drive leaked and showered Matt with intense and exotic energies. The mission was promptly aborted and the craft was turned around but power was lost shortly afterwards. It now became a race to see what would kill Matt first: the radiation, burning up in the atmosphere, or the cold vacuum of space as his life support failed. Throughout the experience, the pilot felt no fear but instead a relief. It would be over soon. Just before he passed out, a warmth caressed Matt: the craft beginning to burn up he supposed before his vision went black.

Rather than die, he woke up in a hospital with contusions and pain but no serious wounds. Plucked from the ocean, Matt had cheated death once more and gotten away relatively unscathed… but not unchanged.

As he learns to deal with his powers, the newly named Solaris does not feel the strange eyes that now watched him with great intent.

Personality/Motivation: early in his superheroic career, Solaris is rather intoxicated with his powers and tend to use them in tactically unsound ways despite his military background. Rather than end a fight quickly, he will taunt his opponents and show off, convinced that there is little that can hurt him.

His confidence extends beyond the costume and he takes many chances whether it's a flight or a beautiful woman. Indeed, he is particularly enamored by the fairer sex and has on more than one occasion paused in a fight to ask a lady out to dinner. Even a supervillainess might find herself propositioned.

Despite his flaws, Solaris is a brave man and dedicated, albeit flashy, hero. He will not hesitate to stand up for those who cannot do so themselves and he will risk his life to protect the innocent or stop the guilty. Indeed, this disregard for his safety leave some to question if he has any regard for his own welfare…

Powers/Tactics: Solaris has the impressive ability to generate solar energy and gravity as if he were a miniature sun. His current powers include solar blasts, increasing gravity to the point where it can pin down an opponent, fly, protect himself with a gravity shield that deflects attacks, or even increase the force of gravity on his fist to maximize his punching power.

His powers have also left him vulnerable to attacks that pierce or cut his skin although he doesn't know why.

In combat, Solaris will power up his force field and open up with an attack that he thinks will awe his opponent or impress onlookers. He also likes to spend time taunting his enemies or dragging out combat to make it more fun.

Appearance: His costume is a mostly black affair with white scattered about to mimic a stars across the velvet void of space. His mask is a full one that covers his face but he's quick to remind women that they might get a better look if they agree to dinner.

Mat is about 5'10" with an athletic build, longish brown hair that always seems tousled and a devilish smile that adorns striking features.

Notes: the public ID might go and Solaris might be a more traditional hero with Secret ID and not subject to the military. Then again the hotshot pilot forced back into military life is fun. We'll see. Also, it should be clear that there is something more to his powers than a radiation bath. In reality, he was contacted by a being (I'm being vague since I'm not sure yet) who noted that Matt was brave in the face of death but could he be brave enough to truly live? Could be abandon the self-destructive ways he adopted after the death of his family and stop seeking to die but instead chose to live and embrace a higher purpose? This will be remembered over story arcs as Solaris, hopefully, learns to mourn his lost family and create a life for himself.

Oddhat had a great idea for using Variable Advantages on Flight which let me eliminate one of Solaris' EC slots but still pretty much get what I wanted. Here is an updated version where some of the points were spent on skills but also I beefed up the EC and MP:

Solaris

Player:

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

23 DEX 39

23 CON 26

11 BODY 2

13 INT 3

13 EGO 6

20 PRE 10

16 COM 3

6/23 PD 3

6/23 ED 1

5 SPD 17

8 REC 0

50 END 2

32 STUN 1

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 118

Cost Power

60 Solar and Gravity Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve

6u 1) Solar Blast: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points)

6u 2) Solar Flash: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points)

6u 3) Too Heavy to Move: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (60 Active Points)

5u 4) Too Heavy for Everyone to Move: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (50 Active Points)

6u 5) Gravity Manipulation: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points)

6u 6) Gravity Manipulation: Force Wall (12 PD/12 ED) (60 Active Points)

4u 7) White Dwarf Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

21 Gravity Manipulation: Elemental Control, 42-point powers

21 1) Flight 14", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; +1/2) (42 Active Points)

21 2) Force Field (17 PD/17 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (42 Active Points)

13 Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points); Linked (Force Field; -1/2)

7 Instant Change: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (into and out of Superhero costume) (10 Active Points); Limited Target (Clothes) Limited (-1/2)

10 Lucky SOB: Luck 2d6

Powers Cost: 192

Cost Skill

5 Combat Piloting 15-

2 Gambling (Card Games) 12-

2 KS: US Airforce Procedures 11-

3 Mechanics 12-

3 Navigation (Air, Space) 12-

3 Seduction 13-

2 Survival (Tropical) 12-

1 Tactics 8-

5 TF: Science Fiction & Space Vehicles, Combat Aircraft, Helicopters, Large Planes, Small Planes

2 WF: Small Arms

8 +1 with All Combat

Skills Cost: 36

Cost Perk

4 Fringe Benefit: Airforce Captain

Perks Cost: 4

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Physics Killing attacks (Very Common)

15 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Physical Killing Attacks (Very Common)

20 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Showoff (Very Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protect Innocents (Very Common, Moderate)

15 Dependent NPC: Girlfriend of the week 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

25 25 pts of Hunted

I love the power level and design philosophy that you are working under. I think that the hole in your team that you are craving to be filled is the Batman/Captain America slot. You could also maybe use a Beast to lighten things up. Glamour seems out of character for the Silver Age, but still a good character for a 70's era game (The Disco Age? The Goldchains Age?)

To Casualplayer:

First of all, thank you very much for your response and kind words.

I love the power level and design philosophy that you are working under. I think that the hole in your team that you are craving to be filled is the Batman/Captain America slot.

Funny you should say that. I was working on the Silver Archer (although I'll probably change the name since I tend to overuse the color silver) and started giving him a ton of skills only to realize that I was filling out my "Batman" slot even though I didn't intend to do that. With him, I'll be putting in a very human character who is hanging in there with the supers and showing them that "norms" can make a difference. He's going to have a lot of useful skills for those problems that you can power blast though.

Do any of these touch on the Batman/Captain America slot or are you looking at something else?

You could also maybe use a Beast to lighten things up.

Hmm... good idea. Right now I have:

1. Doctor Atomic who is kinda geeky but trying hard to be the superman of his world

2. Minerva: also kinda geeky in her normal ID but significantly more confident, even majestic, in her hero ID and rather serious

3. Glamour: more lighthearted and playful... she helps lighten the mood but someone to play off of would be nice. She'd have some nice zingers but not to the extent of a Beast or Spiderman

4. Solaris: cocky to the extreme and a showoff but lacking the sense of humor to lighten the mood. If anything, he's kinda annoying and sometimes a source of friction in the team.

5. Silver Archer: although not Batman serious, he is probably the most dedicated to crimefighting and loses his patience with those that he thinks lack commitment (Glamour and Solaris).

After I write up the Archer, I'll probably write up Hornet next who has some elements of Spiderman: a jestful personality would not be out of order.

Glamour seems out of character for the Silver Age, but still a good character for a 70's era game (The Disco Age? The Goldchains Age?)

People have said that before. May I ask what in particular is out of place? I am probably going to change her origin a bit so that it's less tramautic and also age her up a bit. Still though, on the surface she'd seem a bit flighty and concerned with how she looks so that she's not taken as seriously. I like the idea of the mystic slot being filled by her and I think she'd a decent fit but of course I am ALWAYS looking for suggestions. Again, thanks.

BTW, I hate doing this to my team but I think that, except for the alien, they're going to be rather... white. Does that seem appropriate? The Avengers and JLA pretty much looked like the Aryan Nation untill making stories about them in the 70's when they tried to recruit black members (and we all remember when Black Lightning, an educated man with a Masters in teaching, told them "I don't wanna join you jive turkeys!).

I'll post more on the Archer's history and personality tommorow. Basically, he's someone who decided that in the post Golden Age world that heroes were needed once more and he patterned himself after the non powered crimefighters. About a week before he made his debut though, along comes Doctor Atomic who pretty much heralds/define the new generation of heroes for the Silver Age.

As a result, the Archer is a bit bitter because he's not overshadowed by the more powerful and flashy supers although he still works with them. Indeed, he joined the Sentinels of Justice because he felt they were a good hearted group who made a positive difference (and no doubt under his guidance could be even better) although he chafes sometimes as just a normal man among gods. Also, although not obsessive about crime-fighting, he is rather dedicated and gets impatient with other team members who don't use their gifts sufficiently or seem less than motivated (like Glamour and Solaris).

His roles are a few in the team:

1. To show that normal humans can be effective on a team of supers

2. Brings skills to the table that most of his comrades don't have

3. A bit of a Batman-type with his connection to the streets although he is effective both on a superteam that saves the world or solo in a more mudane setting.

One last thing before posting: if you can come up with a cool name, I'd be REALLY grateful. Thanks!

Archer

Player:

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

26 DEX 48

23 CON 26

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

14 COM 2

8/16 PD 4

6/14 ED 1

6 SPD 24

9 REC 0

46 END 0

34 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

4" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 145

Cost Power

31 Bow and Trick Arrows: Multipower, 63-point reserve, (63 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

2u 1) Concentrated Explosive: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1)

2u 2) Weighted Arrow: Energy Blast 8d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2)

2u 3) Taser: Energy Blast 6d6, No Normal Defense (+1) (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1)

2u 4) Razor Arrow: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2)

2u 5) Explosive Arrow: Energy Blast 8d6, Explosion (+1/2) (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1)

2u 6) Knockout Gas: Energy Blast 4d6, No Normal Defense (protection is LS: Self Contained Breathing; +1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1)

2u 7) Bolo Arrow: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (62 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1)

2u 8) Net Arrow: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1)

2u 9) Flash Arrow: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 11d6 (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1)

2u 10) Smoke Arrow: Darkness to Sight Group 6" radius (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2)

2u 11) Extinguish Arrow: Dispel 7d6, all fire powers simultaneously (+2) (63 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1)

1u 12) Swing Arrow: Swinging 20" (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2)

12 Armored Costume: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2)

3 Mask: Nightvision (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

7 Mask: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Sense Affected As Hearing also (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 76

Comic Book Martial Arts

4 1) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6d6 Strike

5 2) Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 8d6 Strike

4 3) Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

3 4) Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 5) Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

Martial Arts Cost: 20

Cost Skill

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Combat Driving 14-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Demolitions 13-

3 Electronics 13-

3 Fast Draw: Bow and Arrow 14-

3 Inventor 13-

3 AK: New York City 13-

3 KS: New York Underworld 13-

3 Lockpicking 14-

3 Mechanics 13-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 13-

0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

1 WF: Bows

2 Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered Ranged) 13-

9 +3 with Bow and Arrows Multipower

10 +1 Overall

Skills Cost: 76

Cost Perk

5 Money: Well Off

20 Vehicles & Bases

Perks Cost: 25

Cost Talent

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

2 Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with with bow and arrows

Talents Cost: 8

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Psychological Limitation: (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Feels Obligated to Fight Crime and be a Hero (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Need to prove himself equal to powered superheroes (Common, Moderate)

15 Hunted: Rogues Gallery 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Organized Crime 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: Police 8- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Disadvantage to be determined

15 Dependent NPC: Fiancee 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

10 Unluck: 2d6

Notes on Archer's build:

He's not quite as good as a more focused weapon master and missing some stuff (like skill penalty levels, find weakness, and better vision) because I wanted to make him more well rounded and useful to the team so that even without a bow he makes a positive contribution.

Some more information about Archer:

Background: Bright and athletic, the only thing that Sean Miller lacked to be truly successful was drive. Despite his gifts, Sean was happier to spend the day reading through books of adventures, caper across New York, or just hang out with friends rather than commit to making something of himself.

A favorite activity of his was to read through the comics that were still published. Although the fictional heroes of DC and Timely had long ago hung up their capes, the racks at the local news shop held the adventures of real heroes like the Living Comet, Fighting Victory, and the mysterious Lord Midnight. Sean's favorites were the likes of Agent Ace, Night Avengers, and the Scarlet Guardian: men armed with only their wits, guts, and firepower who protected the people and stopped criminals.

In high school, he started to grow up a bit when he was forced to take a sport and signed up for archery only to discover a natural gift for the elegant weapon. Of course, being a fan of Robin Hood didn't hurt either. He proved adept enough to try out for the Olympics but lacked the experience to join the team. Still, the sport helped to discipline the young man to the point where his grades became good enough to enroll in engineering in Columbia paid for by an archery scholarship.

After graduation, Sean began a small but successful engineering company. In his spare time, he noticed how the world seemed to change. Crime was rising and threats from abroad (including Communist spies) presented themselves. Yet there were no heroes to protect the people as there were in the old days. The capes of yesteryear who had survived World War II had mostly retired and no one was taking their place. After giving it some though, Sean decided to that he could help in his own way and perhaps even signal others to take up the call.

With his company thriving and in good hands, Sean took a leave and bankrolled a rigorous training program. Hunting trips to Africa become tutorials in tracking and stealth while money slipped to an old man in China town netted him martial arts training. A degree in criminal science gave him the tools to deduce clues and solve crimes. Finally, he applied himself to developing some useful tools, including a custom set of trick arrows.

Finally ready, Sean prepared to step out as the Archer, first of a new breed of heroes. Then Doctor Atomic stepped onto the world stage by saving a plane before it crashed. Powerful, good hearted, and a living symbol of strength through American science, Doctor Atomic became an immediate celebrity and symbol of the hope of a new generation.

Archer was crushed but quickly picked himself up. He would simply have allies now and wasn't the point of the matter to do the right thing as opposed to being accorded accolades?

But it would have been nice to have been the first…

Personality/Motivation: Archer is a very dedicated crime fighter whose primary motivation is to protect people. He tends to be a little intense in this matter but not to the point of obession: he understands the need for the occasional night off. Still, he gets impatient with other heroes who seem to squander to their gifts when they could be doing so much more with them. Solaris and Glamour in particular earn his ire. Fortunately, he balances this intensity with a dry sense of wit that takes the edge away.

As a hero, Archer tries to do the right thing by never killing and standing up for the innocent but he is not above playing dirty (or he would say "smart") with the bad guys; after all he doesn't bounce bullets off his chest. Quite simply, villains don't deserve a fair shot in his opinion. Still, he is careful to not be overly violent but instead use appropriate force to subdue criminals.

Although he is grateful for his partners on the Sentinels of Justice, he does harbor some jealously. They never seem to understand how lucky they are nor do they appreciate the effort that it took him to be a crimefighters. For them, it's just easier since they were mostly gifted their powers either through accident or gift. It is important to him to show that he can stand shoulder to shoulder with some of Earth's mightiest beings armed only with a bow, skills, and mind and be a symbol to the common man that they two can walk equally among gods in human form.

Powers/Tactics: Archer is a well trained human skilled in forensics, stealth, and combat. His skill with the bow in particularly is considerable although somewhat underdeveloped given the diversity of training and lack of years with the bow. It's quite probable that his proficiency will improve immensely as time goes on. Supplementing his training is a custom made bow, a host of trick arrows, and other minor gadgets, most of Archer's own making.

In combat, he tries to play it smart and will snipe from a distance and often from hiding if possible. If alone, he will engage in a cat and mouse game to winnow down odds. With the Sentinels, he will hang back and lend fire support as needed. A favorite tactic is to disable opponents with entangles and flashes to set them up for his comrades to finish off. He also excels in taking down agents.

Appearance: None noted at present. I might go with a brown and green motif ala Connor Hawke from Green Arrow that is subdued enough to be decent camouflage at night. I also might go with a fuller hood like the present Speedy or Der Bogenshutze from Champions Worldwide. Outside of that, think standard height, red hair, and lean but muscular build with especially strong forearms and shoulders.

Notes: Archer is intended as a Batman-type figure with the skills to solve crimes and find clues. Also, he's a link to humanity among the powerful team and a possible leader. Although not a jerk as Batman is sometimes portrayed, he's more intense than most Silver Age heroes which can cause some friction.

Yet another Sentinel. I'll post the stats as soon as I can fill out some more disadvantages.

Background: From a young age, Donnie loved bugs. Whether reading about them, capturing them in the wild, or watching them he was a first class fan. Normally that would have made him a geek and target of the local bullies but the boy had two things going for him: a wicked sense of humor and an even more wicked right cross courtesy of his father. Instead he was a popular enough lad who with hard work managed to enroll into college. Working his way up to graduate student in biology with a side interest in etymology, Donnie was having the time of his life. He even managed to catch the eye of the brilliant if eccentric Peter Stein who invited the student to assist in research.

What Donnie didn't know was that his mentor, was working on classified serums to boost the physical capabilities of soldiers. Basing his work on the incredible attributes of insects who could carry loads many times their size, Stein hoped to enhanced American's defenders. A bizarre theory but one with promise enough to be conducted in great secrecy. Despite precautions though, the great Soviet spy master Red Scare found out and raided the lab.

Donnie proved more than the soviet spy and his agents expected but a bullet cut the courageous young man down. Stein was then shot and the lab set on fire as the Red Scare stole away into the night. As Donnie lay bleeding, he crawled to his mentor in a vain attempt to save him. Stein pushed into Donnie's hand the final serum that he had kept hidden on himself and told him to drink it. Too weak to escape, he drank the serum down. He suddenly felt stronger. Donnie leapt to the nearest window of the third floor lab, breaking the glass in a crystal shower, and landed 30 feet below unharmed. Despite his efforts though, Stein died.

After dealing with the police and paramedics, Donnie burned with a desire for revenge and remembered the Red Scare boasting of the location of his safe house. Realizing that he was stronger and tougher than before, he decided to hunt the menace down himself. In the old warehouse, he easily dispatched all of the spies except for the Red Scare who proved a canny opponent. Back and forth the fight went until Donnie threw the Red Scare into the room that the master spy was hiding the stolen serums. Covered in the strange chemicals, the Soviet raised his pistol to shoot but Donnie instinctively unleash a bio-sting that set the chemicals and spy on fire. Horrified, the hero tried to stamp out the flames but was too late: the Red Scare died in agony.

Rather than feel vindicated, Donnie felt hollow: revenge did not soothe his sorrow for his mentor's death nor extinguish his rage. His anger did not give him the right to execute another, even one as vile as the Soviet spy. Right then, he resolved to use his gifts properly, as a hero who would not stoop to the level of his enemies. Since then, the Hornet has soared high as a crimefighter who seeks to supplement rather than replace the law.

Personality/Motivation: Despite his loss and traumatic origin, Hornet is a well-adjusted person in general and hero in particular. Seeing the danger of obsession and revenge, he instead concentrates on doing the right thing and stay within the spirit, if not the letter, of the law. In combat, he mercilessly taunts his opponents to distract them and open up their defenses. It's also a heck of a lot of fun!

Out of costume, Donnie shares many characteristics with his alter ego if a bit subdued. His sense of humor makes him a popular student assistance with the lower classmen while his intelligence and work ethic keeps him in good standing with the professors. He is equally comfortable working alone on a scientific problem, grabbing a beer with friends, or spending some time in the boxing ring to maintain his skills. As time goes by, he is finding it hard to keep so many balls in the air but he finds the rewards worth the effort.

Among the Sentinels of Justice, he is well liked and often acts as peacemaker between the others: refereeing Solaris and Archer alone is a full time job it seems! His best friend on the team is probably Aquarian but he reaches out to the others as well, including the Stranger.

Powers/Tactics: The serum granted Hornet significantly enhanced strength, speed, and durability. Wings can sprout and retract from his back for flight that is surprising maneuverable: he can stop on a dime and give back change. His body's bioelectric field has been supercharged to not only support his powers and he can unleash the excess at will as powerful electric "stings." Unfortunately his enhanced physique is highly vulnerable to chemical attacks.

His most exotic power, which he is at a loss to understand, is the ability to shrink down to insect size. Why the serum gave him that power baffles him, as does the mystery of where his mass goes. Because of that, and the fact that he loses a great deal of strength at 3 centimeters tall, Hornet normally only shrinks when he needs to be discrete or unseen. Finally, he has the ability to see in all directions but right behind him like an insect yet without the compound eyes of those creatures. It's a psychic like perception that again, Hornet does not yet understand.

In combat, Hornet prefers to soften up his opponents with bio-stings before closing in to finish the job with a flurry of punches. He also likes to perform move-throughs and move-bys in flight. Against tough opponents, of if he's just in a mood for fun, he will play defensively and taunt his opponent in hopes of finding an opening.

Appearance: Hornet has a lean and fit build. His blonde hair tends to be unkempt, a victim of his busy schedule but his blue eyes sparkle with humor to match his near constant smile.

The Hornet costume is a bright ensemble of yellow and blue with an insect motif that includes compound eyes. Slits line the back for his winds (fans of the IMPACT comic book line will see similarities to the Fly's costume).

Notes: Hornet is intended to have a few roles:

1. Spiderman-like character with the power motif and taunting of his foes.

2. Scientific skills for the Sentinels

3. A popular member who keeps things light and acts as a peace maker for the other team members when tempers flare.

4. Also is the team's shrinker, a popular theme in the Silver Age (Atom and Antman/Yellowjacket).

The Red Scare that is Hornet's Hunted is a replacement for the old one. This one is even more dangerous with the power to generate terror in his victims. He knows that the earlier one failed but not that Donnie is Hornet nor that Hornet killed the old one. The hunted is simply because Hornet has been disrupting Communist spying activities. This is not to say that the truth might not come out...

And here is Hornet's character sheet. Since I gave him Code of the Hero, I decided to go back into Archer's sheet to change his CotH to Feels Obligated to Fight Crime which made more sense since Archer isn't quite four color with criminals (doesn't keep his word or fight fair). I just didn't want to keep repeating psych limits except for CvK.

Hornet has a kid sister who is a journalism major (freshman) and wants to get that BIG story already... so she gets into trouble alot.

Regarding his hunted, since some of the Silver Age teams were initially made of up those with their own solo books, I am trying to recreate that feeling with some of the Sentinels in that in their own books, they'd be facing the bad guy of the week and eventually build up a rogue gallery ala Batman, Superman, Spiderman, and the Flash. So some have the Hunted by Rogue Gallery on frequency of 11 or 8 to represent this.

I might change the disadvantages to give Hornet some secret ID rivals, just dunno. I think that his life is a bit ideal at the moment which is kinda DC Silverish and others like Athena have the crappy life background. Still, in everyone's life some rain must fall. These are just first drafts and fill in needs to be done on the character's background a sketch or two on their supporting cast.

As always, comments and suggestions are not only welcomed but encouraged. Thank you.

Hornet

Player:

Val Char Cost

40 STR 30

24 DEX 42

25 CON 30

13 BODY 6

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

12 COM 1

18 PD 10

17 ED 12

5 SPD 16

13 REC 0

50 END 0

46 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

8" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 167

Cost Power

28 Insect Powers: Elemental Control, 56-point powers

32 1) BioSting: Energy Blast 6d6, No Normal Defense (+1) (60 Active Points)

19 2) Flight 20", Position Shift, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (56 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

27 3) Insect Size: Shrinking (0.0312 m tall, 0.0004 kg mass, -12 PER Rolls to perceive character, +12 DCV, takes +18" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Must used all levels (-1/2), Side Effects (Loses 5 points of STR for each level of Shrinking Used; -1/4)

5 Insect Senses: Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees) with Sight Group

10 Taunt: Drain DEX 1d6, Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Incantations (Complex; -1/2)

5 Damage Resistance (5 PD/5 ED)

Powers Cost: 126

Boxing

4 1) Cross: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 10d6 Strike

5 2) Jab: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 8d6 Strike

4 3) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

5 4) Hook: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 12d6 Strike

3 5) Clinch: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 50 STR for holding on

Martial Arts Cost: 21

Cost Skill

3 Conversation 13-

5 Cramming

3 KS: Boxing 13-

3 Oratory 13-

3 Paramedics 13-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Biology 13- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Chemistry 13- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Etymology 13- (3 Active Points)

6 +2 with Boxing

4 +2 with Bio-sting

Skills Cost: 36

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Hero (Very Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Loves to taunt his opponents and make jokes in combat (Common, Moderate)

15 Hunted: Rogue Gallery 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Red Scare 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Dependent NPC: Kid Sister who tends to get into trouble 11- (Normal)

10 Distinctive Features: Wings buzz in flight: +3 to PER to hear (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Chemical Attacks (Common)

Yet ANOTHER hero! That's seven out of eight and that's not including the Bronze Agers that I'll post eventually.

Just some notes: I decided to go with a legacy hero here to shed some light on the Golden Age. I'll probably drop Archer's background regarding reading comics and make him more focused from the start. Also, I decided to make Blue Bolt a teenager for reader ID although his life isn't as Peter Parker-esque as Athena's is. He's got some problems but which teenager doesn't?

Also, I see that I use athletic, lean and fit for most of my builds... I'll work on that.

Background: Jason East used to love reading about the exploits of the superheroes from World War II but his parents were very adamant in their stance that such hobbies were worthless. They even tore up a few of the comic books that he bought from time to time. That was a "past best forgotten." Now that the supers had gone away, it was better to live in the present and prepare for the future. On that regard, let's talk about your grades…

His father, a successful attorney, was even worse: he wanted his son to go to law school or become a doctor but Jason blanched at the thought of four years of college and even more schooling after that! Jason was proud of his father who had climbed the professional ladder despite being paralyzed below the waist but the man didn't understand that his son hated school. Jason was much more at home on the baseball diamond or track and knew that he'd make it to the big time if he tried hard enough. Already some of the colleges had sent some of their scouts to talk to him.

Despite the conflict with his father, Jason liked his life: good friends, athletics, and his girlfriend Jessica Watts who helped him pass his classes. Then it would turn upside down. Alone after school, he was timing his sprints for the next big meet. Despite his best efforts, he couldn't shave that half second off of his 100 meter dash. As the sky darkened and thunderclouds gathered, Jason decided to make one last attempt. The air seemed charged, almost alive with the lightning that danced among the clouds.

In the starter's block, Jason started his watch and ran as fast as he could. The wind whipped by him differently and seemed significantly louder but he ignored it as his legs pumped and his heat thumped in his chest until it was fit to burst. Then he crossed the finish line and stopped his watch: it read .63 seconds.

Deciding that he had forgotten to hit the button, Jason called it a day and dropped the watch in his bag. It just hung in mid-air for a few seconds before dropping. Experimentation led Jason to realize that he had somehow acquired superhuman speed. At first he was ecstatic and quickly donned a costume patterned after the Golden Age speedster Blue Bolt. After having fun stopping some local criminals, Jason came across a darker aspect of his power: he couldn't fully control his speed. Although he could shift into superhuman speed whenever he wanted, shifting down was tough. If he wasn't very careful, he'd run at top speed.

After some agonizing, he decided to stop participating in school sports. He didn't want to let the world know who has was and worse he could hurt someone if not careful. His father is happy that his son has time to spend on studies yet Jason's grades aren't going up: he's funneling that time into being a superhero.

Personality/Motivation: Blue Bolt is a young man who means well and wants to be a fine super hero. He tries to be polite, honorable, and protect innocents as much as possible in costume. With no one to train him though, he tends to make a lot of rookie mistake. Also, some of the stuff in the comic books just doesn't work! Still, he's trying hard to live up to the legacy of Blue Bolt and hopes that the original hero is out there somewhere and proud.

Out of costume, Jason is going through some tough times after dropping athletics which was a major part of his life. He missed it greatly and has even lost a few friends but most have stuck by him. Some are wondering why he's becoming so secretive though. His girlfriend Jessica is especially worried and knows that Jason is holding something serious back.

Among the Sentinels of Justice, Blue Bolt is very much the rookie. He tries very hard but gets into people's way sometimes. Archer especially gets frustrated but is trying to set up some training for Blue Bolt. He gets flustered around the beautiful Glamour who thinks Blue Bolt's infatuation is "cute." Hornet is like a big brother.

Powers/Tactics: Blue Bolt is able to move at superhuman speeds to the point of breaking the sound barrier at top speed. He has yet to develop anything unusual speed tricks except to run fast and hit faster. Archer is pushing him to be more creative.

In combat, Blue Bolt is a skirmisher who takes the lead from the others. On his own, he'll take out agents with his Moving Attacks. Against tougher opponents, he will charge in head first with a move-by or move-through followed up by rapid-fire punches. Since his defenses are light, Blue Bolt relies more on dodging to protect himself. While he isn't tactical enough to hold a phase to dodge, he will use his even faster reflexes to amp his DCV as needed.

His heightened metabolism leaves him vulnerable to attacks that drain or steal his abilities. Also, he requires huge amounts of food.

Appearance: Blue Bolt is tall and slender with a runner's build. He is moderately attractive and has dark brown hair. His costume is a light blue with darker blue lightning bolts zigzagging across the legs, arms, and torso. Black lines separate the light and dark blues. For a mask, he wears dark goggles that help to conceal his identity.

Notes: Blue Bolt is intended to have a few roles, including novice and legacy hero. Also, as a rookie, he has some unspent points to use as he becomes more experienced and knowledgable about his powers. Finally, his origin is a mystery: how DID he get his powers and does he have a more significant connection to the original Blue Bolt than he knows?

Speed Demon is a demonically powered speedster who can shoot fire and has claws. Its motivations at present are erratic.

I'd love some constructive criticism on Blue Bolt, please. I'm not sure if this is the best way to construct a speedster. Would an EC be better for eventually speed tricks as he starts to do stuff like creating cyclones, putting out fires, changing the environment, etc? Also, as a rookie does it make sense for him to have so many slots in the Fast Hands MP even though they are relatively straight foward?

Even though it doesn't say below, he has 28 pts unspent to represent his newbie status. I wouldn't mind shaving that down to an even 300 pts though with the right suggestions.

As always, thank you for your time and suggestions.

Blue Bolt

Player:

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

23 DEX 39

23 CON 26

10 BODY 0

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

13 PRE 3

12 COM 1

11 PD 8

10 ED 5

7 SPD 37

8 REC 0

56 END 5

30 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 129

Cost Power

50 Running: Multipower, 50-point reserve

5u 1) Combat Speed: Running 25" (50 Active Points)

5u 2) Cruising Speed: Running 10", x32 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points)

56 Fast Hands: Multipower, 56-point reserve

3u 1) Battering Ram: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Only with Move Bys/Throughs (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) plus +3 with Move Through/By

4u 2) Rapid Fire Punch I: Hand-To-Hand Attack +9d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (56 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

3u 3) Rapid Fire II: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (50 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

3u 4) Moving Attack I: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Area Of Effect (20" Line; +1 1/4), x2 Length (+0) (56 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Linked to Running (Combat Speed) (-1/2)

3u 5) Moving Attack II: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1 1/4) (56 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Linked to Running (Combat Speed) (-1/2)

4u 6) Bullet Catching: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), 10 levels, Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (52 Active Points); Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4)

10 Impact Resistant: +20 PD (20 Active Points); Only Works Against Damage from Move Bys/Throughs the Character Performs (-1)

10 Fast Reflexes: +2 with DCV

10 Extra Fast Reflexes: +3 with DCV (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 166

Cost Skill

3 KS: Comic Books 11-

2 KS: Superhuman World 11-

2 PS: Athlete 11-

2 PS: Baseball 11-

6 +2 with punch, move-throughs, and move-bys

Skills Cost: 15

Cost Talent

8 Lightning Reflexes: +5 DEX to act first with All Actions

4 Speed Reading (x10)

Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 322

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Psychological Limitation: Novice Hero (Very Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Must live up to the Blue Bolt name and legacy (Uncommon, Strong)

10 Hunted: Speed Demon 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: To be determined 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

5 Social Limitation: Minor- 17 years old (Occasionally, Minor)

15 Dependent NPC: Steady girlfriend 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

10 Physical Limitation: Needs to eat a great deal of food to fuel his powers (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Accidental Change: does not have full control of speed, can reveal superspeed if not careful 8- (Common)

10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x Effect Adjustment Powers (Common)

Hi everyone. Had to take care of some other stuff. The last member of the Sentinels of Justice (at least until I add in the Bronze Agers like Aquarian, Black Eagle, and one or two others) is the Stranger. He's a shape-shifting alien with a host of battle forms. Right now I'm still trying to work out his origin but right now I think he's a scout sent to prepare Earth for conquest only to realize that humanity could be great. He helped the humans against the invasion and is now exiled.

He's alot like Martian Mahunter except that the Stranger just has the shape shifting powers and *some* strength/durability. He does have a wraith form or can chose to only dematerialize his hand for a touch attack similar to the Vision. I'll review multi-form but right now I am using a MP to show off his powers. Here is the MP. Comments before I write the whole thing up?

As always, this is a first draft and comments are loved/appreciated!

Cost Power

65 Shape Shifting Battle Forms: Multipower, 65-point reserve

6u 1) Rock Form: Density Increase (800 kg mass, +15 STR, +3 PD/ED, -3" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points) plus +15 STR (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) plus Damage Resistance (3 PD/3 ED) plus Armor (8 PD/8 ED)

6u 2) Battle Beast Form: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (4d6 w/STR) plus +1 SPD

6u 3) Rubbery Form: Stretching 5" plus Physical Damage Reduction, 50% plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

6u 4) Winged Form: Flight 15" plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2 1/2d6 w/STR) plus +10 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group

6u 5) Wraith Form: Desolidification (affected by Mental) plus Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups

4u 6) Wraith Touch: Energy Blast 6d6, No Normal Defense (Defense is Force Field, Density Control Powers) (+1) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

I might reduce the armor on the battle beast form since right now he has similar defenses to the rock form. Maybe some more speed/running/leaping to emphasize mobility and speed. Depends on how I envision it.

T

Glamour seems out of character for the Silver Age, but still a good character for a 70's era game (The Disco Age? The Goldchains Age?)

People have said that before. May I ask what in particular is out of place?

The name. Look at actual Silver Age heroines

Invisible Girl

Marvel Girl

Bat Girl

Lightning Lass

Wonder Woman

Scarlet Witch

Elastic Girl

They weren't all like that as in the case of "Black Orchid" and "The Wasp", but most were, particularly when the name was an adjectival one. It wouldn't be Glamour. It would be Glamour Girl. It was only with the Bronze Age that girls started to get some terser, more androgynous names like "Storm", "Dazzler",

"Phoenix", (and why are all my examples coming from the X-Men?). Oh right, "Raven" and "Starfire",

The name. Look at actual Silver Age heroines

Invisible Girl

Marvel Girl

Bat Girl

Lightning Lass

Wonder Woman

Scarlet Witch

Elastic Girl

They weren't all like that as in the case of "Black Orchid" and "The Wasp", but most were, particularly when the name was an adjectival one. It wouldn't be Glamour. It would be Glamour Girl.

Hmm.. I do see your point to a certain extent although I would remove a few names from the list such as Lightning Lass (everyone in the Legion had lass, lad, girl, and boy in their name) and Scarlet Witch (it doesn't fit with the other girl and woman names).

That said, and I respect your reasoning and thank you for your advice, I just don't like Glamour Girl. Perhaps it's my modern sensibilities but I just cringe at the sound of it. In fact, I think it hurts the character since I decided to age her to be early 20's where she's not a girl but a woman who is as sexy as the Silver Age theme will allow. It just clashes, I'm sorry.

It was only with the Bronze Age that girls started to get some terser, more androgynous names like "Storm", "Dazzler",

"Phoenix", (and why are all my examples coming from the X-Men?). Oh right, "Raven" and "Starfire",

Very true although I would note that Glamour is a rather feminine name and I think upholds the tradition as it were of having the naming of a female character more dependent on her gender than a male would. Who knows, maybe I'll use Glamour as the last part like "Golden Glamour" or some such although I still lean towards just Glamour.

Thank you very much for your comments and please note that while I disagree, I gave it quite a bit of thought and ask that you and others continue to make comments and suggestions.

I wasn't actually recommending that you change the name as such, just answering your question about why you kept getting that reaction. Glamour Girl _is_ hokey and how much hoke you can stomach is purely a matter of taste. Roy Thomas may have a thing for the Golden Age, but he still put a black guy into the team, something that never would have happened in the real Golden Age. There was only one black superhero in the Golden Age and he only lasted for one issue.

But in the real Silver Age, nobody would have seen a problem with calling a woman in her early twenties "girl". Sue Storm was apparently into her thirties before she finally told everyone to stop calling her "girl" and they had to shoot Barbara Gordon to change her name. Lightning Lass was there to represent all of her many sisters in the Legion whose naming conventions reflect Silver Age sensibilities, and as those went out of style were renamed to things like "Triad", because apparently _some_ people think "Triplicate Lass" isn't a cool name....which it isn't, I suppose.

I just had a bit of a scarey thought. I shudder to think how things would work out if Iron Age characters travelled forward in time to a 30th century that was still stuck in the Silver Age because they hadn't kept up with the changing styles. A bit like Demolition Man, I guess.

I just had a bit of a scarey thought. I shudder to think how things would work out if Iron Age characters travelled forward in time to a 30th century that was still stuck in the Silver Age because they hadn't kept up with the changing styles. A bit like Demolition Man' date=' I guess.[/quote']

I'd love to see this. The Iron Agers would think they were sooo smart - until the Silver Agers started pushing planets around. ;)

I wasn't actually recommending that you change the name as such, just answering your question about why you kept getting that reaction. Glamour Girl _is_ hokey and how much hoke you can stomach is purely a matter of taste.

That's true, and cool. Thanks

Roy Thomas may have a thing for the Golden Age, but he still put a black guy into the team, something that never would have happened in the real Golden Age. There was only one black superhero in the Golden Age and he only lasted for one issue.

Who was that? I assume that you're not referring to Amazing Man who Roy Thomas put in but an actual Golden Age contemporary.

And regarding race, I have had to wrestle with that a bit myself since my modern team is relatively diverse but my Silver Age team is very white bread. We have an alien but not a brother! WTF? But that's the Silver Age.

With the Golden Age, I actually have a black character, American Eagle but I can't figure out why he's there. You see, in the real Golden Age, as you have noted there were virtually no minority heroes and even in a Golden Age story told by modern writers, you run into acknowledging the racism that existed back then. The only thing I can think of is that since he had powers, he was needed to help combat the German ubermensch and thus despite misgicings he was "allowed" to serve along whites on the super team. Things of course got REALLY interesting when he and Fighting Victory, the all American girl complete with blond hair and blue eyes, fall in love.

Even more fun when his nephew gains the same powers in the Bronze Age and becomes Black Eagle (hey, it WAS the bronze age) and joins the Sentinels of Justice complete with a black power attitude and social conscience.

But in the real Silver Age, nobody would have seen a problem with calling a woman in her early twenties "girl". Sue Storm was apparently into her thirties before she finally told everyone to stop calling her "girl" and they had to shoot Barbara Gordon to change her name. Lightning Lass was there to represent all of her many sisters in the Legion whose naming conventions reflect Silver Age sensibilities, and as those went out of style were renamed to things like "Triad", because apparently _some_ people think "Triplicate Lass" isn't a cool name....which it isn't, I suppose.

Lots of very good examples

I just had a bit of a scarey thought. I shudder to think how things would work out if Iron Age characters travelled forward in time to a 30th century that was still stuck in the Silver Age because they hadn't kept up with the changing styles. A bit like Demolition Man, I guess.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Gee Jolly Penalizer, I'd love to go out a date with you. Ice cream sundaes at the local space soda place? I'm sorry what was that? Can you get condoms there? Umm... what's that?