Land of confusion

cutsleeve

I was compiling a list of effects that i want to roughly model for FH spells. Im creating a setting that has a few diferant ways of doing magic so i figured instead of modeling spells i should model effects. One effect i wondered about and thats confusion.

What would be a decent way to model confusion (like a confusion spell for FH or confusion ray for silver age super heroes).

Re: Land of confusion

Another route is buying extra PRE to model the effects. Something like this:

11 Spell Of Confusion: +35 PRE (35 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Only to cause confusion-related effects (-1/2), Single taget only (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), does not defend vs. pre attacks (-1/4)

The problem with those sterling suggestions is what you are doing is abrogating responsibility for the efefct to the GM - which may well be fine, but another approach is to define it as part of the power.

Overall negative skill levels sound like an interesting place to start, or drains to INT PRE and DEX for skill and combat rolls purposes, or even (a personal favourite) UBO movement powers to make them move in interesting directions (up to their own max move). You could even buy it as luck - an opponent will do something to your advantage if the roll comes up - sfx confusion.

The advantage of this approach is that it defines what happens. Well, that may be a disadvantage too - it depends what you want.

The question I'd ask is what would you use the spell for? General confusion or specific confusion: I mean you could buy it as sight and hearing shapeshift, only to make the target think they are talking to someone else. If you want confusion in a broad range of circumstances - confusion in general, then the MC/MI/PRE attack route sounds just the ticket.

I think again the question is a little too vague. "Confusion," can be part of the Special Effects of many different powers. What you need to do is figure out the actual specific kind of problem it is going to cause the target. Will they be less aware of their surroundings (Darkness, Flash, or Change Environment)? Unable to act (Speed Drain, Entagle)? Will they mistake friend and foe (Mental Illusions, Images, or possibly even Mind Control)? Pass out from overstimulation (Ego Attack or some form of EB)? Some combination of these? Those are the kind of things you can actually sit down and model with system elements. "Confusion," itself is not.

I was trolling for ideas on how to simulate all of those actually. :D Sometimes if you ask a broad simple question you get alot of feedback. I think ill end up just making it a Combo power. with mental images and a lil mind control with ego attack and flash darkness and the othere as added effects to it.

Now i need to beat people with my +5 Stick of Repping.