Summon: Weapon?

Cantriped

Re: Summon: Weapon?

In a game like FMA, where Alchemy is basicaly transmutation.. Transform works and the heal back would be another Transformation to Original Shape.

The only reaon I don't like Transform for this is it works just fine - but overrides every other power as you simply grab stuff and "Transform" it into something else.

You'd only ever need 1 Power per character, the bigger the Transform the faster it works, but beyond that there's no variety.

While it might reek of GURPS, there's a solution to that which still uses Transform.

Each character buys a certain level of Transform, with all appropriate Advantages and Limitations, and one required Limitation: RSR: Variable Skills.

The RSR represents that to do anything requires a Skill Roll of some kind. The characters then buy several Power Skills to represent their skill in certain areas of transmutation and alchemy. The Skills and their level will determine variety in addition to the varying degree of power each alchemist has. In addition, some of the Advantages and Limitations on the Transform could be modified slightly between character to represent more or less flexibility and general power.

And of course, not everybody need be an alchemist.

While it might reek of GURPS, there's a solution to that which still uses Transform.

Each character buys a certain level of Transform, with all appropriate Advantages and Limitations, and one required Limitation: RSR: Variable Skills.

The RSR represents that to do anything requires a Skill Roll of some kind. The characters then buy several Power Skills to represent their skill in certain areas of transmutation and alchemy. The Skills and their level will determine variety in addition to the varying degree of power each alchemist has. In addition, some of the Advantages and Limitations on the Transform could be modified slightly between character to represent more or less flexibility and general power.

And of course, not everybody need be an alchemist.

I had thought of that last night actually, but kept my mouth shut...

It's a good idea actually. I don't know why I just said "nah" and left it.

I would keep this for low to mid powered game however, once your reach 200+ points everyone starts to have all the skills needed and you're effectively "Godly" in the genre. But down around 100 points there's plenty of wiggle room for having or not having a particular alchemical skill set.

My opinion of course.

When the equipment being created is somewhat rare or expensive (e.g. "magical weapons" or whatever) I usually do this thing as a Transform, and treat it as Transforming an imaginary target with Body equal to the NCM, the average/maximum Body value among the PCs, or some fraction of the Total Points of the campaign (the Base Points + Max. Disadvantages). That way some (an average or maximum, assuming the equipment will at some point go to a PC) work has to be done for each act of creation; the character can't simply wave their hand and get a hundred magical knives or somesuch. If, on the other hand, the equipment being created is common in the setting, I might simply enforce what I feel is a good set of Limitations on the power (following some kind of metaphysical, "you can't get something for nothing," law, assuming the game isn't on the extreme high-magic end of the spectrum).

I might simply enforce what I feel is a good set of Limitations on the power (following some kind of metaphysical' date=' "you can't get something for nothing," law, assuming the game isn't on the extreme high-magic end of the spectrum).[/quote']

Said law is refered to as "Equivalent Exchange" but basicly its the gist. its mainly to force players to take environment into account in their transmutations. no making a broad sword in the middle of the forest (unless it's a wooden broadsword, then your fine. But certainly no guns)

As a GM I'd be wary of this power from the get go.

Part of the challenge of playing a Fantasy Hero type of game is acquring stuff. You need to buy weapons and armor. They are not always easy to find. They cost money. If you have a power like this then you've eliminated one of the challenges of the world. If such a power exists then why not make sure that everyone in the kingdom has a weapon. Heck, we have so many weapons we make furniture and huts out of them. That's two composite bows there on that rocking chair!

Now then, if the summoned weapon was, say, an artillery strike, now we are talking. We have something to work with that has inherent issues. Lets say you can communicate with The Kings 47th Royal Catapult Battery of Nigh Strength via your broach of communication. You'd have to make some sort of skill roll to describe to them where you are and where the target is. The attack is indirect in the truest sense. If the GM declares you fudged the roll (map half washed out when the dwarf spilled ale on it, the crew of the weapon is half out of their mind on ale or the teamsters manhandling the piece are out of ale and pretty upset about it) then you can kick in some fun side effects as the rounds invariably come down onto your position.

But anyway, thats just some free thinking. I am sure no GM here has ever messed with their players like that ever. Hero GMs are nice.

Said law is refered to as "Equivalent Exchange" but basicly its the gist. its mainly to force players to take environment into account in their transmutations. no making a broad sword in the middle of the forest (unless it's a wooden broadsword' date=' then your fine. But certainly no guns)[/quote']

I wasn't suggesting a fixed method of balancing magic use, but rather a general principle. The environment could be one example, as could costly Expendable Foci, Side Effects, Extra Time, Long Term End costs, etc. All such Limitations can hamper the use of magic as a no-cost solution, and help to keep the campaign from becoming a, "Monte Hall," high magic free-for-all. :)

EDIT: Such costs don't even necessarily have to be, "equivalent," in value, so long as they are significant. It's not like we want PCs to tread water all the time without actually getting anywhere (well, maybe in some campaigns, but not generally).

np, I often sound a lot more antagonistic then I really am.

As to CorpCommander's waryness, You make a valid point, but I'm not actually running a true fantasy, really it'd be more accuratly described as Steampunk with a lot of implied fantasy.

Oh? Tell me more. I ran an Iron Kingdoms Hero game for over a year.

--Pete

Hmm... Rather then spend the next week writing out a description that will end up being to vague... I'll provide linkage!

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=969336&postcount=115

I still need to rewrite the actual system "Crunch" stuff, but basically the system runs on a VPP. with abilitys above and beyond "normal" alchemy being purchased as seperate powers.