Inherent -From Xanatos

Armitage

Posted by Xanatos in the Rules Questions forum:

What are the Powers that should be made Inherent? Reading the Hero Bestiary it seems that only Extra Arms is a must. Life support isn't, armor isn't, Damage Resistance/Reduction isn't. Even claws aren't. So, is there a rule? Can you tell me why an extra arm shouldn't be dispellable but an extra pair of wings should be?

An Inherent Power can't be Drained, Dispelled, or Suppressed.

Life Support-Suppress by clogging gills.

Armor, Damage Resistance-Drain by softening scales or hide.

Claws-Drain by blunting or softening.

Winged Flight-Suppress with gravity control or Dispel with paralysis (only works for 1 Phase after all).

Extra Limbs-Major surgery. After all, you can't Suppress a normal arm. What's its point cost?

Re: Inherent -From Xanatos

Originally posted by Armitage

Posted by Xanatos in the Rules Questions forum:

An Inherent Power can't be Drained, Dispelled, or Suppressed.

Life Support-Suppress by clogging gills.

Armor, Damage Resistance-Drain by softening scales or hide.

Claws-Drain by blunting or softening.

Winged Flight-Suppress with gravity control or Dispel with paralysis (only works for 1 Phase after all).

Extra Limbs-Major surgery. After all, you can't Suppress a normal arm. What's its point cost?

well, many powers defined as "always on" should probably be inherent. The ghost example in the book is a good guideline.

Life Support-Suppress by clogging gills

Ehm... LS is much more... Self-Contained Breathing, Extended Lifespan, Heat/Cold Resistance, Disease/Poison immunity, No Sleep, No Eat/Drink...

well, many powers defined as "always on" should probably be inherent. The ghost example in the book is a good guideline

There are various examples of Ghost being made "material". There was even an episode of Buffy TVS where she fought a ghost-like enemy and Willow casted a spell. In GURPS Black Ops there is a machine that can be used to make ghost material.

I've been wondering about Inherent as well after seeing it applied to Full Life Support in the UNTIL Superpowers Database (Cosmic Form pg. 41). Cloggable gills sounds more like the Restrainable Limitation than the lack of the Inherent Advantage. Special effects-wise as well why would some innate abilities like one's CON be on the adjustment power chopping block and but Extra Limbs not be? And what is the difference FX-wise between an Inherent power and the non-Inherent version, like Inherent LS vs. non-Inherent LS, Inherent CON vs. non-Inherent CON, or Inherent DR vs. non-Inherent DR?

Originally posted by Tempuswolf

Special effects-wise as well why would some innate abilities like one's CON be on the adjustment power chopping block and but Extra Limbs not be?

Someone can poison me and my Con can go down. Later, if I survive, my Con will heal back to it's starting value. If someone injects me with something that causes my arm to fall off, then with current tech it is just gone. Permanent changes like that require transforms, which inherent does not block.

And what is the difference FX-wise between an Inherent power and the non-Inherent version, like Inherent LS vs. non-Inherent LS, Inherent CON vs. non-Inherent CON, or Inherent DR vs. non-Inherent DR?

Superman can survive in all kinds of weird environments, but if he is wearing a Kryptonite belt buckle he can then be killed by radiation, heat/cold, etc. If he spends too long away from the yellow sun then these things can happen even without the kryptonite.

Someone who is truely immortal like the Post Deal-with-death Elders of the Universe can never be killed in any way. There is no way to remove their life support.

Inherent Con would represent someone incapable of ill health. While such things are theoretically possible I don't think I have ever heard of one outside of Religous circles. And let's not go there.

If your DR is based on some universal "immovable object" type sfx then it might make sense that it cannot be drained or negated in any way. Not many people qualify for that but it is probably good to have the option.

Originally posted by Jhamin

Superman can survive in all kinds of weird environments, ...

After reading your reply, I think the connotation of the word "inherent" meaning intrinsic or essential, but not necessarily unassailable, maybe what is causing my confusion. If the advantage was called Unquenchable or Inviolable, the examples you described follow more naturally.