Disadvantage Base for Talented Normals

Tech

For you GM's out there, what Disadvantage base do you give to a talented normal, such as a Mayor, Police Chief, etc. This is a talented normal who interacts with the PC's on a regular basis so a character sheet is warranted. I know some GM's play them on the fly without a sheet but for this one, I'd like one.

So, GM's, what say you?

Re: Disadvantage Base for Talented Normals

I usually just think about building him/her with traits that I think are appropriate for the position/character instead of worrying about point totals. If I were worried about power levels I would calculate amounts afterward and see roughly how they compared, but I rarely find the need. Most of my NPCs wind up having more Disadvantages than would be required point-wise to build them.

For a mayor (or any politician/government employee) I like to start with a 25/25 and then give him some XP' date=' assuming I intend to write him up at all.[/quote']

No, for a mayor have a 0/0 point character with lots of new friends willing to lend him points in exchange for certain unspecified future favours.

Cynical? Me?

I usually just think about building him/her with traits that I think are appropriate for the position/character instead of worrying about point totals. If I were worried about power levels I would calculate amounts afterward and see roughly how they compared' date=' but I rarely find the need. Most of my NPCs wind up having more Disadvantages than would be required point-wise to build them.[/quote']

For the most part, that's how I play them. However, there are times when I want to know exactly how skilled they are, in the event of a dramatic speech (Oratory/Persuasion), the supervillain takes a shot at the mayor's car leaving (Driving skill), a superhero/villain does a presence attack so what's their Presence and so on, etc etc.

Overall, I don't use stats for NPC's but for those I do, I like to rather go with the official ruling.

No, for a mayor have a 0/0 point character with lots of new friends willing to lend him points in exchange for certain unspecified future favours.

Cynical? Me?

Well okay, but I was skipping the middle man.

I do allow player characters to buy Favors from politicians though.

Actually, now that you mention it, that might not be a way to think of writing up politicians in the first place. A certain portion of their points (at least the cost of their Mayor (or whatever) perk) represents the number of points worth of Favors the character owes other characters.

That might not be a bad way of looking at Perks in general. At least for Fringe Benifits.

Well okay, but I was skipping the middle man.

I do allow player characters to buy Favors from politicians though.

Actually, now that you mention it, that might not be a way to think of writing up politicians in the first place. A certain portion of their points (at least the cost of their Mayor (or whatever) perk) represents the number of points worth of Favors the character owes other characters.

That might not be a bad way of looking at Perks in general. At least for Fringe Benifits.

Interesting. Would you allow PCs to take Disadvantages that represent the fact that they owe favors? You could make the favors you owe others balance out the favors you are owed. This kind of thing would make a lot of sense if you were running a highly political campaign (e.g. something akin to the, "Vampire the Masquerade," level of political intrigue).

Interesting. Would you allow PCs to take Disadvantages that represent the fact that they owe favors? You could make the favors you owe others balance out the favors you are owed. This kind of thing would make a lot of sense if you were running a highly political campaign (e.g. something akin to the' date=' "Vampire the Masquerade," level of political intrigue).[/quote']

I wouldn't grant Disadvantage points unless the character was considered a reliable contact, could be forced into performing, or owed more favors than I could possible have called in throughout the campaign.

Generally, I'm must thinking that owing a few favors is the result of having certain Perks. If you take a perk that gives you influence and/or power, and perhaps lots of resources, you automatically owe favors to other people (unless you take a Disadvantage, in which case it's probably covered).

I think the rules, or at least the writers, back me up at least a little on this, as just about every character that has a Perk such as Membership or certain powers (police powers for example) also has a corrosponting Disadvantage, such as Watched.

I wouldn't grant Disadvantage points unless the character was considered a reliable contact, could be forced into performing, or owed more favors than I could possible have called in throughout the campaign.

Generally, I'm must thinking that owing a few favors is the result of having certain Perks. If you take a perk that gives you influence and/or power, and perhaps lots of resources, you automatically owe favors to other people (unless you take a Disadvantage, in which case it's probably covered).

I think the rules, or at least the writers, back me up at least a little on this, as just about every character that has a Perk such as Membership or certain powers (police powers for example) also has a corrosponting Disadvantage, such as Watched.

Yeah. I was just thinking of the one-time type of favors. Probably big ones for a PC, such as having to complete a whole (mini-)adventure. I don't think it would be appropriate for all games or genres, but I kinda like it as a possibility for some. It's probably just a part of the story for most.