Thoughts on Solara

Mark Rand

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Thoughts on Solara

Since the definition of magical girl seems to be a transformation into a female with magic powers' date=' then your version of Isis counts. You did say she was based on the 70's TV character, right?[/quote']

Correct.

For those of you who don't remember it, high school chemistry teacher Andrea Thomas transformed to Isis, a woman with mystical power. In the comic book based on the TV series, she was sometimes referred to as "The Goddess Supreme".

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a while. My computer failed to power up yesterday morning and I need to either fix it myself or get it fixed. Hopefully' date=' it'll be ready in time for Steve's chat on Thursday.[/quote']

It's fixed, and I made the chat. I'll probably buy HD3 this weekend.

I now have HD3 on my computer and I started on Solara.

I came up with the idea of having Solara look like a geisha because I like the look. However, I'm reconsidering and will, probably, have her look like an 18 year old Sailor Mars, complete with Japanese features and accent.

I now have HD3 on my computer and I started on Solara.

I came up with the idea of having Solara look like a geisha because I like the look. However, I'm reconsidering and will, probably, have her look like an 18 year old Sailor Mars, complete with Japanese features and accent.

Congrats Mark,good luck with creating Solara

A quick question. Tim's Jewish. When he turned 13, he became an adult in the eyes of the Jewish community. This means that he can be called to the Torah and can be counted for a minyan, or quorum, of Jewish adults. (Ten Jewish adults are needed to hold a public worship service.) Is this a 1 point perk?

A quick question. Tim's Jewish. When he turned 13' date=' he became an adult in the eyes of the Jewish community. This means that he can be called to the Torah and can be counted for a [i']minyan,[/i] or quorum, of Jewish adults. (Ten Jewish adults are needed to hold a public worship service.) Is this a 1 point perk?

No. That's simply a function of roleplaying the character and his background correctly.

Tim/Solara has a small, informal support team.

His mother, Ruth, is the heart of it. She's an experienced school nurse who has seen so many weird things that she hardly ever panics.

Another is Doctor Arcane, think Doctor Strange or Jason Blood. He's a contact of Solara's, but not Tim's. She sometimes goes to him for advice.

A third is Cathy, the ghost of Tim's favorite baby sitter. Since she was at a formal affair the night she was killed in a drive-by shooting, she'll always appear in an evening gown and long gloves. (A group of punks were firing at a rival gang who were ten feet away from Cathy and stray bullets killed her.)

She occasionally stops by to chat with Tim and help him understand his new life. Although intangible, Cathy can become solid for 30 seconds each visit. She does this to hold Tim's hands and hug and kiss him. (Although most boys his age wouldn't like this, Tim doesn't mind. Of course, he always had a crush on her.)

Tim/Solara has a small, informal support team.

His mother, Ruth, is the heart of it. She's an experienced school nurse who has seen so many weird things that she hardly ever panics.

That's handy.

Another is Doctor Arcane, think Doctor Strange or Jason Blood. He's a contact of Solara's, but not Tim's. She sometimes goes to him for advice.

C'mon, it's Dr Arcane. The Doc knows more than he lets on. It's classic.

A third is Cathy, the ghost of Tim's favorite baby sitter. Since she was at a formal affair the night she was killed in a drive-by shooting, she'll always appear in an evening gown and long gloves. (A group of punks were firing at a rival gang who were ten feet away from Cathy and stray bullets killed her.)

She occasionally stops by to chat with Tim and help him understand his new life. Although intangible, Cathy can become solid for 30 seconds each visit. She does this to hold Tim's hands and hug and kiss him. (Although most boys his age wouldn't like this, Tim doesn't mind. Of course, he always had a crush on her.)

OK, first, that's creepy. Second, how long ago was she killed and how old was she when she died? Third, is Cathy choosing to manifest or is this a side aspect of Tim's Solara-powers? Fourth, he's totally scheming to bring her back to life, you know, 'cause that's how these things work.

On a barely related tangent, a sorcerer, Dr Phantasm, I made for a game years ago was haunted by the spirit of his dead girlfriend. She'd been killed several years earlier in a botched ritual that left her spirit bound to him. She was often visible when there was fog, mist or smoke in the air. Never failed to depress him because she always assured him it wasn't his fault and she still loved him.

That's handy.

C'mon, it's Dr Arcane. The Doc knows more than he lets on. It's classic.

OK, first, that's creepy. Second, how long ago was she killed and how old was she when she died? Third, is Cathy choosing to manifest or is this a side aspect of Tim's Solara-powers? Fourth, he's totally scheming to bring her back to life, you know, 'cause that's how these things work.

On a barely related tangent, a sorcerer, Dr Phantasm, I made for a game years ago was haunted by the spirit of his dead girlfriend. She'd been killed several years earlier in a botched ritual that left her spirit bound to him. She was often visible when there was fog, mist or smoke in the air. Never failed to depress him because she always assured him it wasn't his fault and she still loved him.

Cathy was killed two years ago while coming home after her senior high school prom. She serves as a messanger for The Powers That Be (or whatever you want to call them), the beings that created Solara in the first place. (However, they were surprised when a boy picked up the bracelet.) If you will, think of her as a ghostly mentor.

Ruth generally wears blue scrubs. However, she wears her old uniform and cap on Halloween.

That's handy.

What's handy, that Ruth's an experienced school nurse or that she hardly ever panics?

Actually, I gave her the "hardly ever panics" advantage because I've always had her accept Tim's transformation into Solara without any problem. Of course, this has happened when the power's been passed down from one generation to another.

If this is the case, Ruth also his mentor and Cathy hangs around because she was very fond of Tim, and still is.

Carol and David Marcus work at Allderdice, the high school Tim attends (and the one I went to).

Carol started out to be a high school English teacher. While student teaching a ninth grade chass, she met David, who wrote for the Pern group he belonged to. Intrigued by a Pern story, perviously published in the group's newsletter, that he submitted for a class assignment, she joined the group.

When they met at the group's annual get together, they looked into each others eyes and discovered that they were a couple. Deciding to write stories together, David, who had given his old character to his mother, and Carol created characters together.

The next year, Carol joined the Allderdice staff as activities director and Tim's homeroom teacher. She also found herself as supervisor for the stage crew and A/V club (both of which Dave were in) and new cheerleader coach.

Seeing how bad her squad was, Carol said, "Six years ago, I was a better cheerleader than any of you are now. In fact, I probably still am." Hearing this, the principal arranged for her to join the squad on the field, as long as she kept up her proficiency.

That same year, then Dave was 16, they were married at city hall and spent their wedding night helping his parents replace a leaking toilet and bathroom sink. Seven years later, they're still a cool couple. He handles the A/V club and stage crew. She coaches the cheerleaders and is more active than most of her team mates. Together, they plan events and are in charge of homecoming.

A bit on Allderdice.

Colors: green and white

Mascot: Humphry the Dragon

Creed: Know Something, Do Something, Be Something

Sports Motto: "Nobody Shakes The Dice", usually displayed with a pair of dice

Web Page: http://allderdicehs.pghboe.net

Dave's parents, John and Mary Ann are physical education teachers at Allderdice. John is the head football coach and athletics director. Mary Ann is the girls softball coach and shares pep squad coaching duties with Carol.

I may change Solara slightly and have there been a succession of heroines bearing that name from the 1930s on. If so, Ruth was Tim's predecessor as Solara and she's now his teacher and Cathy, who wears a strapless candy apple red evening gown and gloves, just likes to visit.

Although Solara is a magical girl, the raw power she can channel exceeds Witchcraft's. Her versatility, however, at this point, may be a bit less than Witchcraft's.

Although Solara is a magical girl, the raw power she can channel exceeds Witchcraft's. Her versatility, however, at this point, may be a bit less than Witchcraft's.

Um, yeah. Wow.:rolleyes:

Witchcraft's raw power is like 9DC. I was kind of assuming that Solara was shooting 11-12d EBs & such.

Although Solara is a magical girl' date=' the raw power she can channel exceeds Witchcraft's. Her versatility, however, at this point, may be a bit less than Witchcraft's.[/quote']

I may have been wrong about this part. She has four essential power groups, two of which are single powers.

1) High-range radio hearing, to hear emergency calls.

2) A movement multipower (a, +20" running [in 2" heels!]; b, 16" combat flight speed; c, fast flight speed, 6" megascale [1"=1 km, at SPD 4, that's Mach 6!!!])

3) Desolid (handy when moving fast).

4) The solar spell package (a 62 point multipower) on page 109 of Dean Shomshak's wonderful book The Ultimate Mystic. Incantations are required for it as an OIF, a golden talismanic rang set with a topaz, ruby, or garnet. Solara's headband/tiara might do for that ring.

A bit more on Allderdice.

The school has overhead projectors, audio cassette recorders, video equipment, and 16 mm projectors. The overhead projectors, audio cassette recorders, and video equipment are available through the school library.

The A/V club, an outgrowth of the old projectionist's club, operates the five 16 mm projectors available for classrooms. (Dave operates the sixth, which is kept in the auditorium projection booth.)

Carol and Mary Ann share pep squad coaching duties because Carol, being in the squad, isn't always aware of any slipups made by other team members while Mary Ann, who watches from the sidelines, can see the slipups. The two women huddle between quarters and make adjustments to the routines.

I'm considering moving the campaign from Pittsburgh to a city of the California coast of my own creation. Instead of having Batman, it'll be a four-color campaign.

This will let me make a few changes to Solara's part of the campaign. One is to get rid of the idea of having Carol be both a cheerleading coach and part of the squad. She'll just be either the coach or an assistant coach.