Thoughts on Solara

Mark Rand

Re: Thoughts on Solara

I may keep Pittsburgh as the campaign city.

Since I'm adding Buffy-style Slayers to the campaign, and having them go to the same school Tim does, I've decided that the mother of one of them is the school nurse, not Ruth. Instead, Ruth is the nurse in a doctor's office that's fairly close to the school. She's also Tim's predecessor as Solara.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still working on where the campaign she occasionally appears in will be set. As it looks now, it'll be in San Angelo, California, using the International Super Team, originally created for GURPS Supers, as the campaign basis.

Solara, though, will not be in the IST She will be a solo heroine that cooperates with the police.

Although this makes no difference in the long run, I thought I'd throw this football story out.

Tim's school is the home team. When the teams took the field, a flock of pigeons flew away. Some stayed nearby. One featherbrain decided to park itself beside the football, which was on a kicking tee. At the kickoff, the kicker missed the ball and kicked the pigeon instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Although this makes no difference in the long run, I thought I'd throw this football story out.

Tim's school is the home team. When the teams took the field, a flock of pigeons flew away. Some stayed nearby. One featherbrain decided to park itself beside the football, which was on a kicking tee. At the kickoff, the kicker missed the ball and kicked the pigeon instead.

OUTCH!!! I bet that hurted[the bird that is]

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still working on some of the stuff. Until I get everything together,Solara's going to be on the back burner.

I'm trying to decide if she's a Sailor Moon-type magical girl or more like a regular super mage and whether he's the first Solara or the latest.

I'm also considering what Tim looks like. Is he a skinny, awkward guy who wears glasses and may be the next Jim Baily or is he somewhat athletic?

I'd always considered Cathy to be the ghost of his favorite baby sitter, but she may be the ghost of his young and beautiful favorite aunt. In this case, Cathy, and her husband, died in a car accident and the higher powers sent her back to act as Tim's mentor.

Tim's going to be the first Solara. Certain higher powers decided that, despite the fact that he's a boy, Tim was the right person to become Solara. They sent Cathy to act as a mentor.

As far as the geisha or Sailor Mars look goes, a lot of the stuff about them is the same. They're both Japanese women over 21. They both have decent magic VPPs. They both know accupressure, and how to do nerve strikes. They both have some ability with dirty infighting. They can both produce energy bows and arrows, throwing stars and daggers, and katanas. Except for the fact that they do ED instead of PD, said weapons are identical to their normal counterparts.

The differences are more in style.

The geisha version is a soft-spoken woman in her early 30s who's voice has a definate Japanese accent. (According to the movie Memoirs of a Geisha, once a geisha is 30, she can use a subdued makeup instead of the traditional one.) Her main martial art is aikido and her sorcery style is closer to Witchcraft's than Sailor Moon's. She will, however, occasionally hold her fan while spellcasting and use it as a wand.

The Sailor Mars version is a Japanese-American woman in her early 20s. (She has no accent.) Her magic style has a lot of gestures and short incantations (calling out the spell) and her martial arts style is more intense.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably have Tim be a skinny, awkward guy who wears glasses.

When he powered up for the first time, a female spirit entered his body and transferred it into Solara. She took the strongest female form, other than Ruth, in Tim's mind and used it as the basis for the transformation.

Tim still has control of what Solara does and when she does it. The spirit just supplies the power.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll probably have Tim be a skinny, awkward guy who wears glasses.

When he powered up for the first time, a female spirit entered his body and transferred it into Solara. She took the strongest female form, other than Ruth, in Tim's mind and used it as the basis for the transformation.

Tim still has control of what Solara does and when she does it. The spirit just supplies the power.

Going with the above, Tim is the reincarnation of the original Solara, a princess that lived ages ago in another reality. The first time Tim powered up, her spirit entered him, changed his body into hers, and established a mental link between them. If you like, you can think of Solara as Firestorm with Tim being Ronald Raymond and the spirit being Prefessor Martin Stein.

Tim lives with his divorced 30-something mother, Ruth, a trauma nurse, and her widowed 50-something mother, Grace, a school guard. Of the three, Tim panicked the most at the time of the transformation.

As far as Cathy, his mentor goes, she is a ghost. Since she was in formal garb when she died, her spirit still is.