Supervillain Showdown #5 - Firewing vs. General Winter!

guardiansorder

Alright, game mechanics issues! :D

I was assuming that General Winter had some kind of ice-based damage power in addition to just creating masses of ice and snow, since he hurled that shower of ice shards at Firewing at the end of FW's story. I guess it could have been dramatic license; by the same token, IIRC Firewing doesn't have an Area of Effect attack that could have covered the whole cliff and also be intense enough to kill someone as tough as Winter. I don't have a problem with that kind of liberty when it's clearly within the concept of the character, though.

Gee, I wish we could have had an exchange like this on the Showdown board; it's been pretty quiet over there. :(

Originally posted by Hermit

Hey, at least more info on Firewing was finally given there ;)

Say, Splendid One, by any chance was that you writing under the nom du plume of "Ariax Thone?" He has your flare for the dramatic. ;)

Very entertaining origin recounting - vividly captures Firewing's perspective and passion, without slanting the true details beyond recognition. :cool:

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Alright, game mechanics issues! :D

I was assuming that General Winter had some kind of ice-based damage power in addition to just creating masses of ice and snow, since he hurled that shower of ice shards at Firewing at the end of FW's story...

One of General Winter's powers is Telekinesis: (Ice/Snow).

Originally posted by Just A Guy Name

One of General Winter's powers is Telekinesis: (Ice/Snow).

Exactly.

As I was writing Firewing's story I needed something dramatic to end the fight besides Firewing just unloading with his AoE fireball. Since General Winter can a) create ice and snow and, B) TK ice and snow, it made sense to me that he could create ice from the water below (or even without the water at all, but icicles flying out of the water just seemed too cool to not write) and then hurl it at Firewing. His TK could surely splinter chunks of ice into any shape he wanted, including razor sharp shards.

Of all of the Showdowns that I have written, this one was the toughest, not because of lack of imagination or "cool things to write about", but because I only had 525 words to do it in. Give me unlimited words and that fight would STILL be going on. Good match up.

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

Of all of the Showdowns that I have written, this one was the toughest, not because of lack of imagination or "cool things to write about", but because I only had 525 words to do it in. Give me unlimited words and that fight would STILL be going on. Good match up.

Well, there's been good writing on both sides (Out of your writings Ben, I think I like this one , and Kinetik's story best), but yeah, that word # limitation sometimes hurts the contests, especially for the brainy fellows who would, in game play, get rather elaborate :)

At least Firewing, bless his Malvan heart, gets into fights right away :)