Supernatural Special Forces

Black Omega

Re: Supernatural Special Forces

My question is... is it the "water" part that makes it effective... or the "holy" part?

See... why "holy water"?

Why not holy napalm? Or holy milk?

It seems to me the blessing by the devout is what is important... so a military chaplan who blesses the flamethrower tanks and such... maybe the supply seargent is ordained or such... so all the weapons are blessed, etc.

I would at least raise that question in a game. What makes it holy... and what makes it effective vs. a creature of the night?

Good question, very campaign specific of course. In my game the answer would be pretty straight forward. Water blessed by a priest burns vampires like acid. Pepsi blessed by a priest has no special effect. This is an empirical and reproducable effect in the game. Why? That's been speculated on, though no one knows for sure. Many scholars believe it my be because vampires are corruption and water is a purifying agent. After all, one drinks wine, but is cleansed in baptism by water. The debate has sputtered off and on for centuries.

In another game, anything blessed might hurt vampires. Though that would make things pretty easy since all the PCs need to do is get everything blessed and no vampire would have a chance.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox faiths use blessed oil for certain purposes.

If a Catholic or Orthodox priest could be persuaded to bless a sufficient amount of oil, you'd have a very useful form of fire-based weapon. Burn 'em and "purify" 'em out of existance. :eg:

RDU Neil,

My question is... is it the "water" part that makes it effective... or the "holy" part?

See... why "holy water"?

Why not holy napalm? Or holy milk?

It's the "holy" part, not the water part. This was proven definitively by those great biblical scholars Monty Python in the movie The Holy Grail. Allow me to quote from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

As you can clearly see, there is a "Holy Hand Grenade", so it is the blessing part that make it effective. :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

A novel dealing with military/scientific vampire hunting that is likely to be overlooked because it's published under a romance imprint is "The Huntress" by Crystal Green. The heroine does things like giving herself injections that give her super-strength for 20 minutes and waving around "UV wands". Characterisation is a bit naff but there are some very gameable ideas in there.