Supernatural Special Forces

Black Omega

Re: Supernatural Special Forces

[in response to Basil's query about symbols other than crosses working] Against demons, yes. Vampires no. For reasons so far undiscovered, Christianity and vampires have been deadly enemies from the first Christians on to the present day.

The military might do well to recruit some animists to battle demons. "Why yes, I do view the very ground we walk upon as holy. Yup, sky too."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a higher power and there is solid evidence that said power can be drawn upon and channeled' date=' then that answers the objections of most atheists, who are not so much rabidly against the existance of God so much as being asked to believe in such a power without anything resembling hard proof.[/quote']Solid evidence and hard proof is the main sticking point. No one really agrees on what this is. If a Christian's cross glows around vampires and burns them on touch, and the same cross with a non believer does nothing, it does tend to support something supernatural going on. But not that there is any validity to the beliefs beyond whatever it is doesn't like vampires. Or perhaps a particular mindset is required and no non believer has found the right way to go about it.

The military might do well to recruit some animists to battle demons. "Why yes' date=' I do view the very ground we walk upon as holy. Yup, sky too."[/quote']The military in my world has not been shy about recruiting witches (Craft users), no doubt. For the world I use, this would still only protect the animist. The protection from the demon is a matter of the personal faith, not what physical area and semantics it might cover. After all, many major religions would say that God is all around them as well.

Luckily, demonic manifestations are very uncommon.

If any religious symbol works so long as it is believed in fervently enough' date=' then an atheist would say it is a matter of focusing one's willpower versus the supernatural creature in some fashion. In which case atheistic scientists will work out some sort of focusing system based on some artificially created symbol to allow one to channel belief in certain concepts that even secular humanists believe in against supernatural forces.[/quote']

It might be worth checking out the old pulp stories about Carnacki the Ghost-finder* - this was his attitude. I particularly liked his researches into "improving pentacles" which resulted in the Electric pentacle!

cheers, Mark

*note: the Carnacki stores are out of copyright and can be downloaded legally from forgotten futures.

If any religious symbol works so long as it is believed in fervently enough, then an atheist would say it is a matter of focusing one's willpower versus the supernatural creature in some fashion. In which case atheistic scientists will work out some sort of focusing system based on some artificially created symbol to allow one to channel belief in certain concepts that even secular humanists believe in against supernatural forces.

I once read a Dr. Who novel in which a Russian character sucessfully turned a zombie/vampire thing with an emblem of the Communist Party.

This is a fun thread. A few thoughts:

Shotgun shells and other munitions could also be loaded with wooden beads (available at any hobby/craft store)...

Along that line---really tiny rosaries, stuffed into a shotgun shell. Wood and religious symbol combined. :)

If any religious symbol works so long as it is believed in fervently enough' date=' then an atheist would say it is a matter of focusing one's willpower versus the supernatural creature in some fashion. In which case atheistic scientists will work out some sort of focusing system based on some artificially created symbol to allow one to channel belief in certain concepts that even secular humanists believe in against supernatural forces.[/quote']

"Something...pure!" -- Dr. Venkman, Ghostbusters II

:D:thumbup:

If you want a good read and some great ideas, check out Nick Pollotta's Bureau 13 books.

BUREAU 13: JUDGMENT NIGHT

BUREAU 13: DOOMSDAY EXAM

BUREAU 13: FULL MOONSTER

BUREAU 13: DAMNED NATION

He's also written some Shadowrun Novels so he's very familiar with the Supernatural meets Covert Ops genre (if there is a genre for such a thing).

Also check out Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series. More along the gumshoe line, but still some great ideas.

Hope it helps.

The Bureua 13 novels can be interesting, though they are largely tongue in cheek and really over the top at times. Ultimately all the comedy turned me off. There are a few 'that's so stupid it's brilliant' moments and they don't skimp oin the heavy duty firepower at least.

I've not read the Dresden books yet. Still deciding if I want to. I've heasrd different things about the level of humor in the books.

No arguement on the level of comedy with the Bureau 13 books. But it's nowhere near as bad as the Xanth novels, so I find that a plus.

The Dresden Files are not so much comedy, as infused with that slick, dark humor often attributed to British authors. I found the "Sam Spade" kind of downtrodden hero appealling. Plus it's such a great look at a world where the borders between reality and fantasy are visible out of the corner of your eye. It did turn me on to the whole "Urban Fantasy" genre.

Other writers in this field being Neil Gaiman, Emma Bull, Will Shetterly (okay the whole Minneapolis crew).

Nancy Collins, Skip and Spector, and Greg Schow brought a genre of graphic, urban, punk to the horror genre in the late 80's and early 90's, but it only dealt with the tip of the "fantasy" genre. Jim Butcher takes that little push they created, makes with the witty and wry instead of the blood and guts and draws you in to the world.

But then again I also find fairies who are bribed with pizza a funny concept.

I suggest everyone give the Dresden Files a chance. By the fourth book you'll have forgotten you were on the fourth book.

I've always wanted to see footage of one of these being used' date=' period.[/quote']Currently my PC's have two mini fuel air bombs and just might find a chance to use them this adventure. These are the shoulder launched missile type the Marines have used before. Enough for a building, nothing more.

As for footage, nothing yet. Though I'd love to see a test blast or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Shotguns are a great delivery method for a LOT of anti supernatural munitions.

The rock salt is a neat idea I hadn't considered before. Lots of traditional faeries hate salt too. Either that or REALLY love the stuff. Like, "stop fighting to try and collect the scattered salt" like :D

Other faery are harmed by "cold iron". And some vampires are harmed, strangely enough, by Roses.

The shotgun allows you to fire a mixed load: iron, silver, salt and other things, all at the same time. Have them blessed before you go out just in case.

Other faery are harmed by "cold iron". And some vampires are harmed, strangely enough, by Roses.

The shotgun allows you to fire a mixed load: iron, silver, salt and other things, all at the same time. Have them blessed before you go out just in case.

Isn't that what the two guys on Supernatural do? I've only ever seen two episodes, but I remember shotguns loaded with rock salt being used against ghosts (well, a ghost and a tulpa, to be precise).

Isn't that what the two guys on Supernatural do? I've only ever seen two episodes' date=' but I remember shotguns loaded with rock salt being used against ghosts (well, a ghost and a tulpa, to be precise).[/quote']

The episodes I remember them using shotguns in, the shotguns were loaded with rock salt. No silver, iron, oak or lead.

How could I forget the old standby against vampires: the solid wood slug. Rapid delivery system for the ol' stake in the heart.;)

I once planned a Vampire: The Masquerade mini-campaign (for Cons) consisting of a few connected scenarios. The players would have been a group of Vampire Hunters in the Midwest in 1909, chasing after a group of vampires who had fire-related magical powers. They would have driven an old-style, tanker Fire Engine, with a relic housed in the nozzle of the water tank - Voila! Instant holy water.

Would have been a lot of fun finding an appropriate toy as a fire engine mini...

in the bureau 13 books they mixed MSG with DMSO, for a major sensory overload effect.

then there was the garlic and holy water mixed flamethrower fuel... add spices to taste and whoosh

My question is... is it the "water" part that makes it effective... or the "holy" part?

See... why "holy water"?

Why not holy napalm? Or holy milk?

It seems to me the blessing by the devout is what is important... so a military chaplan who blesses the flamethrower tanks and such... maybe the supply seargent is ordained or such... so all the weapons are blessed, etc.

I would at least raise that question in a game. What makes it holy... and what makes it effective vs. a creature of the night?