Gatekeepers HERO: a work in progress

pointyman2000

Hey guys,

Been thinking of making a HERO conversion of the anime, "Gatekeepers".

For those not familiar with the series, here's a short summary of what it is about (As taken from The Wikipedia Article):

Gate1.jpg

"The story revolves around the year 1969, a period of time in which Japan is experiencing intense economic and social development at the end of the Second World War. Unbeknownst to the humans, alien beings have emerged with plans to take over the world by sending numerous robotic aliens to wreck havoc in cities, even turning some of the people into robotic minions as well. They are referred to as Invaders.

In an attempt to confront these Invaders and defend the planet, an elite but highly secret organisation of peace-keepers called A.E.G.I.S. (Alien Exterminating Global Intercept System), was set up with special funding from the government. They rely on the ability of Gate Keepers, who have the power to open dimensional "gates" of a paranormal energy that give them their superpowers. These superpowers are also the only weapons that have any effect on Invaders.

The headquarters of A.E.G.I.S. (Eastern Division) lies beneath the ubiquitous Tategami High School, a facade created by the organisation itself to mask its active recruitment of new Gate Keepers, many of whom were still high school students. Hence, Tategami High School is the perfect front for A.E.G.I.S., since these students can be enrolled into the school and be called into operation at any time.

Globally, A.E.G.I.S. has many other branches both in Europe as well as America. Its reach is only rivalled by that of the Invaders, whose influence has been steadily increasing over time."

Okay, with that said, it fits really well into the Teen HERO genre, with high school kids with superpowers keeping the world safe from a threat that cannot be adequately explained, but impossible to ignore.

Given that, I've sat down with my trusty pdfs and hammered out the following guidelines for making a Gatekeepers character:

Base: 100

Disads: 100

Total 200

No more than 50 points in a single type of limitation

Campaign Limits:

Characteristcs: 10-30

SPD: 3-5

CV: 4-8

DC: 4-10

Active Points: 40-60

Skills: 10-30

Skill Roll 8-15-

Def/rDef 12/6

Free Perks:

6 pt. Contact: A.E.G.I.S. Organization 11-

Recommended Talents:

Combat Luck (3rPD/3rED) maxed at 2 levels (6 pts each)

Disallowed Power Advantages:

- Reduced Endurance (at 0 END)

- Invisible Power Effects

Required Disadvantages:

- Minor (under 18) 5 points or Minor (under 16) 10 points

- Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently; Moderate)

- Watched: A.E.G.I.S.; More Powerful, Significant Noncombat Influence

====

With that said, what do you guys think of the Character Creation limits so far?

To those who have watched the series, do you think it's reasonable for me to disallow all Body-Affecting powers? (Desolid, Duplication, Density Increase, Extra Limbs, Growth, Shrinking and Stretching). None of these have been demonstrated by anyone human (the Invaders are another matter. ;) ) in the series, but I'm wondering if I might be cutting away creativity. As a half measure, I could require GM permission to use Body-Affecting powers.

I'm thinking of pushing the setting to the modern day, so I'll see if I can put up more setting information as I make them.

Any other comments or suggestions will be most appreciated! :D

Re: Gatekeepers HERO: a work in progress

Hmm. Sounds reasonable so far. It seems like all their powers would fall into a Multipower which requires Gestures and Extra Time, so most powers could be bought fairly cheaply.

Don't forget that they'd have Normal Characteristic Maxima. Some of them can push those stats as powers, but those ARE powers, not their normal stats.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Also, are you going to do any writing-up of the propensity of humans to turn into Invaders? Activation Roll, or somesuch, maybe?

Looks good so far.

However, I think body-affecting-powers should be limited to GMs ruling.

After all Stretching could represent a long weapon or a character able to move so fast that they strike and return to their location etc...

Duplication could represent after-images...

Desolid a 'perfect defence'...

Shrinking (with invisible power effects) could represent a character who is difficult to notice and strike....

.... hmmm.... difficult to justify growth though.....

Hmm. Sounds reasonable so far. It seems like all their powers would fall into a Multipower which requires Gestures and Extra Time, so most powers could be bought fairly cheaply.

Don't forget that they'd have Normal Characteristic Maxima. Some of them can push those stats as powers, but those ARE powers, not their normal stats.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Also, are you going to do any writing-up of the propensity of humans to turn into Invaders? Activation Roll, or somesuch, maybe?

Good call on the Normal Characteristic Maxima, I'll put that in before I send these guidelines to my players.

I tried making a sample Gatekeeper to see how it pans out and it does look like they'll end up with Multipowers or Elemental Controls.

As for humans turning into invaders, I'm still looking at the rationale for their change. Supposedly people turn to invaders because of their darker emotions enable the invaders to "take over" so to speak. Add the fact that they're "deployed" strategically by whatever Invader commanders they have.

Mechanically though, I'd probably build it as a multiform with an activation roll, with an additional trigger of being bombarded by Invader frequencies or something.

Looks good so far.

However, I think body-affecting-powers should be limited to GMs ruling.

After all Stretching could represent a long weapon or a character able to move so fast that they strike and return to their location etc...

Duplication could represent after-images...

Desolid a 'perfect defence'...

Shrinking (with invisible power effects) could represent a character who is difficult to notice and strike....

.... hmmm.... difficult to justify growth though.....

Hmm... good point. I'll just inform them that I'll have to audit their builds, and Body-Affecting Powers should be cleared with me first.

====

As a follow-up, the first Gatekeeper series had a nice focus on retro-tech vehicles, Cars that transform into Mechs, the Battle-Bus, Gate Engines, Airplanes and Invaders taking over Trains.

Given that I'm thinking of holding it in modern day, what do you guys think would make good AEGIS/Invader vehicles? :confused:

If I can find my notes on my idea for a game of similar nature, I'll post them up. Make sure you get all of the Invader generals, and I don't just mean the four you see in the anime. There is a lot of history to the gatekeeper's world that has come out in a novel and a videogame. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything quickly online but the novel has a lot of events that take place after the first series and before the OVA.

If I can find my notes on my idea for a game of similar nature' date=' I'll post them up. Make sure you get all of the Invader generals, and I don't just mean the four you see in the anime. There is a lot of history to the gatekeeper's world that has come out in a novel and a videogame. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything quickly online but the novel has a lot of events that take place after the first series and before the OVA.[/quote']

Hey thanks! that would be awesome, most of my research is based off the web and what little I remember from the anime. I'll be picking up a complete series of it and the Gatekeepers 21 as well for research :D

Sadly no. Oddly' date=' I get mixed reviews from friends. From what I could make out from them, the tone of the series has shifted. Dunno how though.[/quote']

Darker. It is less campy and less comical.

I found the website you will need. But it has spoilers.

http://www.geocities.com/aegisfiles/mystery.html

Information on the novel and a list of 6 of the 8 bosses are found here:

http://www.geocities.com/aegisfiles/index.html

Just for kicks, a build for a 150 point Invader Mook:

Black Invader
Classic Mook

2  STR 13 11- HTH Damage 2d6
15 DEX 13 14- OCV 8; DCV 8
6  CON 10 12-
6  BOD 11 12-
8  INT 12 13- PER Roll 13-
6  EGO 10 11- ECV: 3
3  PRE 10 11- PRE Attack: 2d6
1  COM 10 12-

0  PD    3  6PD (3rPD)
0  ED    2  5ED (3rED)
5  SPD   3  Phases: 4,8,12
0  REC   5
0  END  20
0  STUN 23

0  Running   6"
0  Swimming  2"
0  Leaping   3" Forward / 1.5" Upward

Total Characteristics Cost: 23

Skills:

3 Acting 11-
4 +2 with Pulse Gun
3 Concealment 11-
3 Contortionist 12-
3 Disguise 11-
3 Mimicry 11-
5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)
3 Shadowing 11-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Teamwork 12-

Total Skills Cost 33

Powers:

9  They're not human!:  Armor (3 PD/3 ED)

5  Shades:  Sight  Group Flash Defense (5 points)

35 Pulse Gun:  Energy Blast 7d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 8 clips of 12
Charges (+1/4) (52 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

15 Knife:  Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced
Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

25 Mind Link , Invaders class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Number of
Minds (x4), Psychic Bond

5  One of Many:  Multiform (150 Character Points in the most expensive form) 
(30 Active Points); 1 Charge which Never Recover (-4), Limited Power Only to
Grant Points to a Greater  Form (-1/4), Limited Power Only Usable with a Red
Invader (-1/4)

Total Powers Cost: 94

Disadvantages:

10 Distinctive Features:  Invader Frequencies (Not Concealable; Always 
Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Distinctive Features:  Black Invader Outfit (Concealable; Noticed and 
Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features:  Pale Skin (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; 
Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Hunted:  AEGIS Network 11- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

Total Disadvantages: 50

Just for kicks, a build for a 150 point Invader Mook:

Black Invader
Classic Mook

2  STR 13 11- HTH Damage 2d6
15 DEX 13 14- OCV 8; DCV 8
6  CON 10 12-
6  BOD 11 12-
8  INT 12 13- PER Roll 13-
6  EGO 10 11- ECV: 3
3  PRE 10 11- PRE Attack: 2d6
1  COM 10 12-

0  PD    3  6PD (3rPD)
0  ED    2  5ED (3rED)
5  SPD   3  Phases: 4,8,12
0  REC   5
0  END  20
0  STUN 23

0  Running   6"
0  Swimming  2"
0  Leaping   3" Forward / 1.5" Upward

Total Characteristics Cost: 23

Skills:

3 Acting 11-
4 +2 with Pulse Gun
3 Concealment 11-
3 Contortionist 12-
3 Disguise 11-
3 Mimicry 11-
5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)
3 Shadowing 11-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Teamwork 12-

Total Skills Cost 33

Powers:

9  They're not human!:  Armor (3 PD/3 ED)

5  Shades:  Sight  Group Flash Defense (5 points)

35 Pulse Gun:  Energy Blast 7d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 8 clips of 12
Charges (+1/4) (52 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

15 Knife:  Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced
Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

25 Mind Link , Invaders class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Number of
Minds (x4), Psychic Bond

5  One of Many:  Multiform (150 Character Points in the most expensive form) 
(30 Active Points); 1 Charge which Never Recover (-4), Limited Power Only to
Grant Points to a Greater  Form (-1/4), Limited Power Only Usable with a Red
Invader (-1/4)

Total Powers Cost: 94

Disadvantages:

10 Distinctive Features:  Invader Frequencies (Not Concealable; Always 
Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Distinctive Features:  Black Invader Outfit (Concealable; Noticed and 
Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features:  Pale Skin (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; 
Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Hunted:  AEGIS Network 11- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

Total Disadvantages: 50

How you don't mind some constructive criticism. The Pale Skin and Black Invader Outfit as two seperate disadvantages should be one, single disadvantage. They are either Pale Skinned, Black Outfit wearing Invaders or they are in their "human" form.

Add on Accidental Change for the Radio Frequency.

They should have Physical Limitation: Turn into a crystal Upon Death.

Instead of Disguise give them a Cosmic Transform.

How you don't mind some constructive criticism. The Pale Skin and Black Invader Outfit as two seperate disadvantages should be one, single disadvantage. They are either Pale Skinned, Black Outfit wearing Invaders or they are in their "human" form.

Add on Accidental Change for the Radio Frequency.

They should have Physical Limitation: Turn into a crystal Upon Death.

Instead of Disguise give them a Cosmic Transform.

I'm fine with Constructive Criticism. :)

Good point on the distictive features thing. I think that might be overdoing it. :D

Accidental Change for Radio Frequency is a good one too, I should remember to add that.

Cosmic Transform? or Cosmetic Transform? :confused:

Thanks for pointing those out by the way, will revise accordingly

That's alright, the links you've provided were most helpful. :)

reviewing the Black Invader build and I just realized that contributing 150 points to a Red Invader will quickly make a huge monstrosity for them to fight. While this is pretty standard for the anime, but do you think I should tone it down for the game? Say each black invader contributes only 75 points or so?

Sadly no. Oddly' date=' I get mixed reviews from friends. From what I could make out from them, the tone of the series has shifted. Dunno how though.[/quote']

I have both. To me the biggest difference was feel. In the first you had the standard teens with powers fighting the good fight. Some were afraid, some determined and some ready to kick *****. You had the character relationships too. But overall the series had the feel of optimistic "they will win in the end" that many of the series I liked had.

21 on the other hand, was darker and had the characters always coming up short. Always losing. And I agree that all of the characters whose interaction made the first series good were missing. Mind you, 21 was well done, but it just didn't grab me like the first.

The best piece of advice I have is DO NOT watch both series consecutively. Wait a week or throw in a different series between. One of the dark toned ones where all the good guys get whacked would be best. That way 21 will seem a bit upbeat…:D