Martial Arts END Costs?

dbcowboy

How much END does a Martial Arts attack use?

Is it:

a. Only that for the Str the player chooses to use as the base for the attack?

- Example: In a superhero campaign with 1 END/10 Active points, a character with 20 Str using a "Str+4d6" attack would cost 2 END?

b. The base Str + the cost of the effect of the attack?

- Example: Again, Superheroic campaign, 20 Str, using a "Str+4d6" attack would cost 2+2=4 END?

c. Do extra Damage Classes impact the final END cost?

I think I understand that some maneuvers that don't depend on Str will cost 1 END (like Block and Dodge). I'm wondering about the the ones like "Str+2d6" or "Grab One Limb, 2d6NND" kind of maneuvers.

Re: Martial Arts END Costs?

Well, as far as I know it would be the following:

Any action costs a minimum of 1 END. So that covers the Martial Arts Maneuvers themselves.

Everything else should be based on Active Points used, thus, STR by itself.

I could be wrong though.

- Christopher Mullins

5ER, page 425:

10 Active Points' worth of a Power or STR cost 1 END each phase to use.

Some manuevers and other actions don't have a listed STR value so those cost 1 END to use. Martial Manuevers do not cost END.

That is paraphrased from the first paragraph on page 425 under the heading of ENDURANCE.

As others have stated: Martial maneuvers do not cost END.

If you're getting complicated, however, and have applied Advantages to your martial maneuvers, the Advantages cost END (they are, effectively, Naked Advantages).

As others have stated: Martial maneuvers do not cost END.

Okay, that seems to go againsts the 1 END minimum rule listed earlier for things like Block and Dodge (and I was pretty sure I had read in my 5E book under Endurance section).

When you say the maneuvers don't cost END:

- if it is a Str + 2d6 maneuver - pay END for the Str used but not for the extra 2d6?

I guess I'm confused on what "the maneuver" actually is. In my example above, is "the maneuver" the whole "Str+2d6" or just the extra "2d6"?

Or are they really and truely completely END free? If so, why does Martial Dodge not cost any END but a regular old Dodge does?

Okay, that seems to go againsts the 1 END minimum rule listed earlier for things like Block and Dodge (and I was pretty sure I had read in my 5E book under Endurance section).

When you say the maneuvers don't cost END:

- if it is a Str + 2d6 maneuver - pay END for the Str used but not for the extra 2d6?

I guess I'm confused on what "the maneuver" actually is. In my example above, is "the maneuver" the whole "Str+2d6" or just the extra "2d6"?

You pay END for STR only once for a given segment/action.

This means that you may or may not pay END for the STR on a Martial Strike (for example).

If you have done nothing else during your action (no movement, etc.) and just use a Martial Strike Maneuver, then you would pay END for as much STR as you wanted to put into it (but no END for the Martial Strike itself).

If, however, you had already used your STR to leap into position (for example), you would not have to pay any END at all for the attack.