A possibly dumb question

the_reaver

Recently, I've thought about running a few of the older champion adventures/modules (Demon's Rule, To Protect and Serve, Champions in 3-D, etc) but I came across the puzzle if you can run 4th ed adventures using 5th ed rules?

Any help with this puzzle would be much apprecated. Thanks

Re: A possibly dumb question

5th edition is very, very similar to 4th edition. In fact, in most cases, you can take a 4th edition character sheet and play it in 5th edition with no changes.

Some of the powers have different costs, and some of them work a little differently, so the characters may not be 5th-ed legal, and might not work exactly like they're supposed to (for example, Flash worked by target's Phases in 4th; in 5th, it works by Segments, and is now cheaper), but you can use them easily enough.

I agree with Zeropoint; the changes between 4E and 5E are mostly small, and the ones that aren't are usually easy enough to figure out in context. For pre-4E Champions, though, the changes are more substantial.

If you follow the link in my signature, below, and scroll down to the listing for "HERO SYSTEM (Pre-Fifth Edition)," you'll be able to find summaries of the differences between the current edition of the rules and earlier ones. You can also view fan-created updates of some of the older published material.

It's pretty simple. If you have Hero Designer, you can just recreate the characters in 5E format. The points will *usually* (but not always) be higher, and some skills/perks/talents/powers names have changed, or been placed elsewhere, but it's not that difficult.

I have a 5E FtF game where I used 4E and earlier modules/adventures. It's not difficult to run them, though generally the 5E PCs will be tougher.

Thanks for the help

To everyone that's commented, thank you for your help with this. It was something that I was really curious about you know?

Also, Lord Liaden-the adjustments for the characters in the "To serve and protect" module was a real find, thanks for finding that gem. However I'm curious if anyone did stats adjustments for the characters in the "Zodiac Conspiracy"?

Re: Thanks for the help

To everyone that's commented, thank you for your help with this. It was something that I was really curious about you know?

Also, Lord Liaden-the adjustments for the characters in the "To serve and protect" module was a real find, thanks for finding that gem. However I'm curious if anyone did stats adjustments for the characters in the "Zodiac Conspiracy"?

Yes. I should still have the error-corrected version of the "Zodiac Conspiracy" on my hard drive. I can't post them, but I could send them to you. However, they are still 4th Edition edits, not 5th Edition updates.