Wisdom

Re: Wisdom

No offense to gamers at large' date=' but there are a lot of gamers who play idiots and then expect the GM to have mercy on them.[/quote']

Preach it Brother!

We've got this one guy in our group, he used to GM, he's devious,

and does super-genius type stuff.

But then when he's playing he just goes ape. :nonp:

If its Fantasy Hero he's a dwarf axe-hacker.

If its Champions he's a brick bruiser.

We have a sign up in our game-room just for him: (no kidding)

GET'EM !

Its out tactics,

its our strategy,

and now:

ITS OUR POLICY.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotsa good suggestions for how to do it, so I won't bother, but I just wanted to chime in on the side of "It should be do-able" with game mechanics.

You can play a tatical genius, a ladies man, or a burly warrior if you aren't one in real life, so why not be able to play someone wiser than yourself?

If you inevitably make foolish decisions, so will your character. There is no game mechanic that I've ever seen in any game to keep your lack of wisdom from showing through. Contrived example to follow.

GM: "You know that the creature is supremely sensitive to sound. In one hand, you have a tuning fork that is out of tune with itself, and in the other, you have a striker for the tuning fork. What do you do?"

:idjit: : "Shove the tuning fork up its nose!"

If you inevitably make foolish decisions, so will your character. There is no game mechanic that I've ever seen in any game to keep your lack of wisdom from showing through. Contrived example to follow.

GM: "You know that the creature is supremely sensitive to sound. In one hand, you have a tuning fork that is out of tune with itself, and in the other, you have a striker for the tuning fork. What do you do?"

I've seen worse. I've had a player insist on performing non-combat speed Move Throughs against targets in HTH. When she said "full speed" she made it unquestionable clear she meant non-combat, even referring to her extra non-combat multiples and total inches/phase. Everytime she wanted to do it, EVERYBODY at the table (including the player new to the Hero System on her first day playing) would explain about the 0 OCV issue, the Turn Mode Issue, the acceleration/deceleration issue, the what happens when she hits that mountain issue and the and they're gonna be attacking you at 1/2 DCV while you do it issue. Every time!

I eventually just let her do it. It was her "opening maneuver" so it got her out of combat rater quickly... which in turn speeded up combats in general from then on.

And she kept doing it!

You're point is well taken, but this example, I'd call more a lack of Intelligence than lack of Wisdom. It shows a lack of abstract thinking, problem solving, and tool using skills.

I've seen worse. I've had a player insist on performing non-combat speed Move Throughs against targets in HTH. When she said "full speed" she made it unquestionable clear she meant non-combat, even referring to her extra non-combat multiples and total inches/phase....

And she kept doing it!

I actually got a result with that technique once, but it was a sort of desperation move against an opponent that seemed to be able to shrug off the biggest attack I could deliver. Result: Double KO with lots of KB. Both of us were resilient enough to get back into the fight before the GM stopped using phases. It took one potent opponent out of the fight for several phases, though.

You're point is well taken' date=' but this example, I'd call more a lack of Intelligence than lack of Wisdom. It shows a lack of abstract thinking, problem solving, and tool using skills.[/quote']

I've played with people who had enough Intelligence to earn a college degree, but enough lack of wisdom to pick the worst course of action astonishingly often.

My point was that although many of the things that have been proposed in this thread allow one to play a character that is wiser than the player, there are limits. You can include Deduction, Tactics, and one or more Overall levels among the things that can help make a character appear more wise.

I occasionally play characters that make foolish decisions, but at least they know that the decisions are foolish {see http://herogame.dans.cust.servlets.net/forums/showthread.php?p=686468#post686468 for example}

I actually got a result with that technique once' date=' but it was a sort of desperation move against an opponent that seemed to be able to shrug off the biggest attack I could deliver. Result: Double KO with lots of KB. Both of us were resilient enough to get back into the fight before the GM stopped using phases. It took one potent opponent out of the fight for several phases, though.[/quote']

That's pretty much how it worked with this player. The first time she tried it, she rolled a 3, and hit with phenominal results despite the chances of doing so. Ever since then, she though it should have been easy to do. She even bought CSLs with Move Through just to make it easier even though we told her that her OCV would still be 0 when moving at non-combat speed.