Help, Rune Mystic

ghost-angel

Ok, picked up Mystic World, Ultimate Mystic, Hidden Lands and a bunch of other books (everything but Demon that's directed at Mystic's really)...

and it doesn't have as much detail on creating and running a Rune Caster as I would have liked - though all the other stuff is awesome and really fueling the fires...

I was hoping for some details to make a Rune Caster stand out more as a Mystic style of magic.

Anyone have any ideas? thnx in advance.

Re: Help, Rune Mystic

For the obvious reason that I'm sure Hero Games would like to sell more books, I can't give any specifics, but here's the list of rune spells in the book (all of which naturally involve drawing a rune on an object or person):

Offensive: Shattering, The Dead, Mastery, Blood's Power, Lightning Calling, Victory, Ruin, Strength, Truth, Madness, Weapon Enhancement.

Defensive: Protection, Protection from Fire, Stealth

Movement: Switft Running

Sensory: Owl's Eye, Protection from Poison, Rune Reading, Awareness

Miscellaneous: Golden Tongue, Luck, Swift Healing, Fever Breaking

Well, I'm not so much interested in what the spells are - coming up with spells and power constructs is dirt easy. I do that in my sleep.

What I'm looking for is what sets Rune Spells apart from, well, a mutant tossing an energy beam around - what's the Effect. What goes into Rune Casting from a Role Playing POV.

I'm looking for a good solid set of things I can use to make the character stand out a bit as someone who uses Runes to effect Power. If that makes any sense.

I can understand trying to make Rune spells something more than a simple special effect for your energy blast, or what have ya. I'm just not sure I have an answer.

To me, Runes seem to be something that denote a target. Painted or drawn on, they make the object or person the target of supernatural energy. As compared to glyphs, which would seem to themselves hold the energy. But for Champions purposes they'd seem to be almost interchangeable.

I always figured Rune mages were more the guys you came to for long term help ("Please cure my friend", "Help me destroy this supposedly indestructible sword"). If you stylize it to make the effects more immediate (by removing the extra time limitations) basically you'd be drawing sigils in the air or making such figures appear on the subject, marking him as your intended target. So it's sort of gestures and gestures and extra time versus just gestures.

But it's not really an area I've ever tried for a champions-style mage. I've used the classics (Necromancy, Sorcery, Naming incantations, Vodoo) because they're generally more immediate.

For an example of something similar to a runic magician, you could look at Sigyl (I may have misspelled this) in The Ultimate Brick. He is a mystic who has tatoos (runes, sigils, etc) that give him powers. He is a heroic-level character, but could serve as inpiration for a super-heroic level character.

Well, I'm not so much interested in what the spells are - coming up with spells and power constructs is dirt easy. I do that in my sleep.

What I'm looking for is what sets Rune Spells apart from, well, a mutant tossing an energy beam around - what's the Effect. What goes into Rune Casting from a Role Playing POV.

I'm looking for a good solid set of things I can use to make the character stand out a bit as someone who uses Runes to effect Power. If that makes any sense.

I might go with something like:

• Rune magic always involves putting a rune on the target of the effect; therefore it has severe limitations in that you need the target right there, and sitting still for being scribed upon.
  • To balance that, rune magic is better at long-duration stuff (lots of 0 END Persistant or END only to activate), and maybe better at warding/enchanting structures, if you can put runes around the structure.
  • It also kicks butt at creating permanent enchanted items.
  • You probably need to 'learn' each rune seperately, but each rune (or combo of two runes, like in the verb/noun systems) gives access to a lot of related abilities.
  • Maybe contradicting the warding stuff before, but I kinda see rune magic as only altering the thing inscribed. It can be used for traps, but not like D&D fire traps (effect springs out from the object/rune), more like "the wall is incredibly sticky" or "the sword is animated" stuff (which might be done with a triggered RKA aimed at the victim, but the *special effect* is that the magic is on the sword).
  • Completely alternately, you might look at runes from the POV of their role as "things that are read" - triggered effects from reading; knowledge-based stuff.

Just stuff off the top of my head. I don't have any of the HERO mystic books at all, so I don't know what direction they go with it.

Thnx for all the help/input everyone.. I've got some brainstorming to do. Killer Shrike's site has given me some insights in making the Rune Caster a but more unique than just SFX for a Blaster Archetype.

I'll have to write some stuff down, banter with the GM and flesh out the character.. When I get somthing more solid I'll try and remember to post it up here.

I might go with something like:
  • Rune magic always involves putting a rune on the target of the effect; therefore it has severe limitations in that you need the target right there, and sitting still for being scribed upon.
  • To balance that, rune magic is better at long-duration stuff (lots of 0 END Persistant or END only to activate), and maybe better at warding/enchanting structures, if you can put runes around the structure.
  • It also kicks butt at creating permanent enchanted items.
  • You probably need to 'learn' each rune seperately, but each rune (or combo of two runes, like in the verb/noun systems) gives access to a lot of related abilities.
  • Maybe contradicting the warding stuff before, but I kinda see rune magic as only altering the thing inscribed. It can be used for traps, but not like D&D fire traps (effect springs out from the object/rune), more like "the wall is incredibly sticky" or "the sword is animated" stuff (which might be done with a triggered RKA aimed at the victim, but the *special effect* is that the magic is on the sword).
  • Completely alternately, you might look at runes from the POV of their role as "things that are read" - triggered effects from reading; knowledge-based stuff.

Just stuff off the top of my head. I don't have any of the HERO mystic books at all, so I don't know what direction they go with it.

{cough}

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/MagicSystems/runecrafting.shtml

{cough}

Yeah, I saw it the first time; didn't get a chance to read it through. My impression was that it was just about crafting magic items. If a lot of what I said duplicates what's on there, I'm not really suprised. If you're implying plagiarism, I'm gonna have to take offense. It's not like there's a lot *else* that's been done in fiction with a generic rune caster.

Yeah' date=' I saw it the first time; didn't get a chance to read it through. My impression was that it was just about crafting magic items. If a lot of what I said duplicates what's on there, I'm not really suprised. If you're implying plagiarism, I'm gonna have to take offense. It's not like there's a lot *else* that's been done in fiction with a generic rune caster.[/quote']

Not implying anything, just pointing out that most if not all of what you suggest is covered therein.