How much XP for blowing up the city?

Robyn

Setting aside for a moment that, in HERO, we don't get XP equal to a character's total;

And, setting aside for a moment that, in HERO, we don't get XP just for killing people at all;

And, knowing that some munchkin out there will, if they haven't already, try to do this:

What's the point total for every NPC in your average modern city?

According to "Average Individuals", on page 133 of my 4th Edition HERO rulebook, a "Competent Normal" is worth 75 points, a "Skilled Normal" is worth 35, a regular "Normal" is worth 5, an "Incompetent" normal is worth -20, "Senior Citizens" are worth -20, and "Small Children" are worth -50.

Figuring out the percentage of those last two in a population is easy, just check the local city demographics. But we're looking for average, so we should be able to check the national figures and divide by how many cities there are. Then it becomes a matter of figuring out how many are "skilled" or "competent" normals; example character sheets are given for all of these, so we can compare them to the actual skillsets possessed by ourselves and people we know. For those people we can't question, a study of the minimum hiring requirements for various establishments and places of business might do, except that they don't account for the people who "sleep their way" through work (and I don't mean in the snoozing sense). So, since we can't figure that out, let's just assume that an arbitrary (but low) number of all those stated to be working in a field that requires a minimum level of competency actually don't meet it, and a lower number exceed it, and give the whole thing up.

It seems like it would be an interesting project to (just) have the answer to, though. Imagine:

"Okay, after tallying up everyone's point totals, I've calculated that your PC gains 562,000 . . . "

"Cool!"

" . . . negative experience points . . . "

"What?"

" . . . meaning you lose that many."

:D

Guest The JeRQ

Re: How much XP for blowing up the city?

"Okay, after tallying up everyone's point totals, I've calculated that your PC gains 562,000 . . . "

"Cool!"

" . . . negative experience points . . . "

"What?"

" . . . meaning you lose that many."

:D

Ooh you are evil :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

"All of them."

You might as well give the PC all the experience points ... since the game just effectively ended, he'll never get to spend 'em. ;)

Who says he was blowing up his city? :ugly:

Besides, he could always just move to another one ;)

Maybe 100 million points worth in a really big city(4 million people a)25 points each).

Can you cite a 5ER page number for this figure? I can't check it, but I'd be (very) surprised if they actually went and made every single person a flat 25 points in 5th Edition.

Can you cite a 5ER page number for this figure? I can't check it' date=' but I'd be (very) surprised if they actually went and made every single person a flat 25 points in 5th Edition.[/quote']

Just a rule of thumb. :thumbup: "Average" Normals are 5 pointers, and probably constitute more than 50% of the population, then there's another 10-20% who might be "incompetent"(children, the elderly, etc.), and maybe 30% built on 50 points or more. So, when you average it out, and weight the points, it's likely to be more than 5 points and less than 50. I just picked 25 as a nice "in-between" number.

If you want, you can try to figure out how many police, firefighters, doctors, lawyers, athletes, and other exceptional individuals there are per 100,000. :D

If you want' date=' you can try to figure out how many police, firefighters, doctors, lawyers, athletes, and other exceptional individuals there are per 100,000. :D[/quote']

Like I said when I began delving into exactly how we might calculate it, we should just give the whole thing up :)

I figure the children (at negative fifty apiece) constitute a pretty hefty penalty, though.

Like I said when I began delving into exactly how we might calculate it, we should just give the whole thing up :)

I figure the children (at negative fifty apiece) constitute a pretty hefty penalty, though.

hmm, not really sure whether one 50 point character is really "negated" by a -50 point character, though.

hmm' date=' not really sure whether one 50 point character is really "negated" by a -50 point character, though.[/quote']

Not "negated", no; we're not saying the 50 point character doesn't exist. It's just that, if we're going to give the PC experience equal to the points in whoever they kill, we should take into account the negatives.