How do you focus on things?

Wolfe-Chan

Re: How do you focus on things?

First, I'd suggest making a list of the things you feel you need to cover. Once you have your list, prioritize the items based either on what you're most interested in doing, or what's most relevant to the campaign you have in mind. Then start workin' before you forget all those cool ideas you're having. ;)

People tend to design worlds in different ways. Some (like me) usually start with the map. Others start with the magic system, or the races, or the politics, or something else altogether. There's no one right way.

Like you need more REP, but that helps a lot thank you.

Personally I decide in order;

01. Genre

02. Sub Genres, Crossovers, etc...

03. Meta Plots, Sub Plots, & PC Sub Plots

04. The Players & their Characters Goals, Sub Plots, etc...

05. Arts (Cultural, Racial, & etc...)

06. Biographies of Important NPCs

07. Geography (Surviving )

08. History (What came before? What Shaped the World, & Current Events)

09. Mathematics (Phylosophy)

10. Science (Deciding the Physics of the World. Does Technology Work?)

11. Society (Cultures, Laws, Duty, etc...)

12. Technology (I use GURPS Technology Terminology)

Keep in mind I am a lazy GM these days and usually borrow a setting from somewhere else and then add the changes and let them struggle with it. It means a lot of improvisation on my part, but it does mean that the Players have a huge impact on the world.

Cheers

QM

Well, I was going to write a long description of my process, but Lucius used his psychic powers to grab my post before I even read the thread and claim it as his own. Dang prescient, telepathic palindromedary...

Actually, for my personal insights into campaign creation regarding a particular campaign, see my Savage Earth Designer Notes. There's lot's of behind the scenes stuff and design philosophy.

Keith "Look into my mind..." Curtis

PS. Use the Fantasy Hero worldbuilding section to generate ideas and to catch things you may have missed.

Well, I was going to write a long description of my process, but Lucius used his psychic powers to grab my post before I even read the thread and claim it as his own. Dang prescient, telepathic palindromedary...

Actually, for my personal insights into campaign creation regarding a particular campaign, see my Savage Earth Designer Notes. There's lot's of behind the scenes stuff and design philosophy.

Keith "Look into my mind..." Curtis

PS. Use the Fantasy Hero worldbuilding section to generate ideas and to catch things you may have missed.

Coming from you, that's rather flattering, Mr. Curtis.

Lucius Alexander

May I use "Dang prescient, telepathic palindromedary..." as a tagline?