Background Check! The Specter Awakens.

Weldun

The Specter

The Specter is a mutant who was born George L. (Louis) Burgess, in Kentucky, 1844. He enlisted in the Confederate army during the 2nd American Revolution (D Company, 1st Kentucky Infantry), and during this, he discovered his amazing ability to suppress his fear response. He also began to note that he was needing less food, water and sleep than his fellow soldiers, an ability that is the present day means that his daily biological needs are now weekly. During the period immediately following the war, he began to face off against bandits and renegade soldiers as a masked man that the journalists dubbed the Specter, the fearless man. His exploits included chasing notorious Gunfighter, Alex “Tombstone†Tubbs, later known as the “Tombstone Kidâ€.

In a twist of irony, he married Sue Hamilton in 1873, the very girl who rejected Tubbs. after a few years, to escape her brother’s increasing problems with alcohol, Burgess and his wife move to Kingdom City, Nebraska. However, all was not to be happily ever after. As the years went on, Sue began to notice how youthful George seemed to remain, and townsfolk would be scandalized in the streets by what appeared to be a woman with a much younger man. Their son and one of his two daughters had noticed as well, especially Felicity, the eldest daughter. George had no choice in his mind but to tell the truth. They were, of course, shocked and Sue went so far as to mumble things about being “a demon’s bride.†Fortunately, his children were better educated and less prone to superstition, but the next few years brought resentment into their eyes, as it became clear that the gift had not been passed onto them.

George decided that he had to move on, that closure was a natural and necessary part of life. With the help of his son, Able, he was able to forge documents for a new identity. In 1897, he faked his death by collapsing a local mine that he made a point of claiming still had something left in it. In general, the townsfolk accepted it, and for the most part, the ruse held. Although he never saw his family again, with the one notable exception, he moved to New York and worked as a boilermaker in the rail yards.

Over the decades, he has discovered that he has the ability to manipulate his metabolism in various ways, starting at the turn of the 20th century, when he found that he could regenerate. His regenerative abilities would prove most useful after this, as the great war had started in Europe with the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. But before America became caught up in “the European problemâ€, he met an enchanting young widow in a market near Queens. The two began to court one anther and very nearly consummated their love when George found out Patricia Stanton’s maiden name. Burgess. The surprise at discovering that he was entering the bed of his own daughter stunned even the normally calm man, and he babbled out his identity to her. She realized the truth of it immediately, despite having only been 6 when he left, and fled screaming into the streets where she stumbled into a stranger. This chance encounter haunts George to this day, as the stranger was a vampire hunter by the name of Helena Schreuber nee Van Helsing, granddaughter of the famous Abraham Van Helsing. Understanding only some of Patricia’s rambling about he long dead father and fornication, Schreuber could only guess and the poor woman’s problem. Then George came out into the street after Patricia, causing her to shriek in terror. Now Helena understood. This poor girl’s father had returned as one of the undead, and a powerful one at that, for he was out during the day. Faced with a skilled huntress, George was forced to flee. The Schruebers continue the Van Helsing tradition to this day and The Specter has been of particular interest to them since 1978, when the 90 year of Helena and her grandson Nigel caught up with him in California and made the connection.

When the U.S. entered the war in response to U-boats sinking American ships 1 years later, he enlisted again. In the 1st and 2nd world wars, his adrenal boost ability let him lift over a ton and in both these wars he served in Europe, not only as a soldier, but also as The Specter. This is the only period that The Specter was seen out of formal attire, (although he returned to it between wars), and on several occasions during the WWII, his squad mates nearly discovered his mask and handkerchiefs. While history generally accepts that the specter was a U.S. soldier, the fact that he would appear in an undershirt made it difficult to identify which unit he was with, especially as George went out of his way to take advantage of times when he had been separated from his unit. He continued fighting in the Pacific, and even fought the Golden Samurai all across the pacific islands. After the war, he studied Okinawan Karate from his old foe, both men having discovered that both found the slaughter that signified the closing months of the war to be abhorrent. Indeed, the had become good friends, and George was able to help many people in Okinawa come to terms with the shock of having lost the war.

In 1968, one hundred years after his first appearance, he returned from Okinawa with a firm mastery of Karate. He battled the likes of Dr. Macabre and even received an invitation to join the Sentinels, but he turned them down in light of their political connections. His “failure†to appear in Vietnam had him labeled a “hippieâ€, despite his distaste for the movement’s views. During this period, he battled the likes of VIPER, the Guru and Jack Flash. Then came California, March 5th, 1975. Dr. Destroyer made his explosive debut into the world and nearly conquered the state. The Specter lost his good friend Kid Chameleon that day and discovered that the world had begun to leave him by. Despite the protests of his only remaining friend and fellow immortal, Diamond, he retired from super heroics.

In 1992, after the near destruction of Detroit, he resurfaced there to help in the reconstruction. This time, he had developed a “Hyper-boost†ability that allowed him to run at speeds of over 70 kph. This Specter had also invested some Kevlar lining for his suits. In 1996, he retired once more after Herman Schreuber came too close to getting an image of him without a beard. Now it is 2006, and George has returned to Kingdom City as The Specter, in response the sudden increase in metahuman activity there. And this time, he plans to stay…

Costume: Contemporary formal wear, black leather gloves, and a red hood with black diamonds over eyes. Compulsively leaves a white handkerchief, which has an S embroidered on a corner with silver thread.

My GM asked for a background, so this is what he's getting.

Comments, Criticism?

Re: Background Check! The Specter Awakens.

Nicely done. Better than 90% of backgrounds I see posted here. :thumbup:

You were spelling his name Spector previously? Was that just a typo?

Being immortal can have its downsides, as my own young immortal character Zl'f is just beginning to realize. At least she'll never have to worry about accidentally bedding one of her children, as she can't have any. :(

I posted a short story about that recently in the Champions forum.

Woops. Somehow I just got the idea that you were talking about a more high-powered character.

The majority of his metabilic abilities are in a multipool. Whilst he is supressing his fear response (among other bio-chemical responses), he cannot boost, resist poison as effectively or regenerate. And his boosts each can only be done once per day for up to a minute. After which he takes on a side effect (he crashes, become slower) for a like period of time. When experiencing the side effect of a boost, he can only use his "calm self" ability. To make matters worse, it takes a ½phase action to switch slots.

• 11 months later...

After several aborted attempts at posting an update' date=' this is the best I could do. Sorry.[/quote']

Nicely done.

And for those without Hero Designer:

[b]The Specter - Alex Tramwell[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
20    STR     10   20/35      13- / 16-       HTH Damage 4d6/7d6  END [1]
24    DEX     42   24      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
20    CON     20   20      13-
18    BODY    16   18      13-
25    INT     15   25      14-       PER Roll 14-/18-
14    EGO     8   14/19      12- / 13-       ECV: 5/6
20    PRE     10   20/40      13- / 17-       PRE Attack: 4d6 / 8d6
14    COM     2   14      12-
8    PD      4   8/16             8/16 PD (0/8 rPD)
8    ED      4   8/16             8/16 ED (0/8 rED)
5    SPD     16   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
8    REC     0   8/20
40    END     0   40
40    STUN    2   40
8    RUN      4   8"/18"                END [1]
4    SWIM     2   4"/10"                END [1]
4    LEAP     0   4"/7"                4"/7" forward, 2"/3 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 155[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
10     [b][i]Calm Self[/i][/b]: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Defensive Only (-1) - END=
7     [b][i]Calm Self[/i][/b]: Mental Defense (10/11 points total) - END=0
10     [b][i]Calm Self[/i][/b]: Power Defense (10 points) - END=0
5     [b][i]Fearless[/i][/b]: +5 EGO (10 Active Points); Only vs. Fear (-1) - END=
30     [b][i]Body Control[/i][/b]: Multipower, 45-point reserve,  (45 Active Points); ½ Phase Action to Change Slot (-1/4); all slots Not While Experiencing Side Effects of a Slot (-1/4) - END=
3u     1)  [b][i]Accelerated Healing[/i][/b]: (Total: 44 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) [b]plus[/b] +12 REC (Real Cost: 24) - END=0
2u     2)  [b][i]Bio-Energy Blast[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 9d6 (45 Active Points); Activation Roll 12- (-3/4) - END=4
1u     3)  [b][i]Adrenal Rush[/i][/b]: (Total: 43 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) +15 STR (15 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Side Effects (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) [b]plus[/b] +6 DEX (18 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Side Effects (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) [b]plus[/b] +1 SPD (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Side Effects (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) [b]plus[/b] Side Effect (-5 Dex For Up To 1 Minute After Charge) (Real Cost: 0) - END=[1 cc]
2u     4)  [b][i]Hyper-Metabolism[/i][/b]: (Total: 44 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) +8 DEX (24 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Side Effects (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) [b]plus[/b] +2 SPD (20 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Side Effects (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) [b]plus[/b] Side Effect (-7 DEX And -1 SPD For Up To 1 Minute After Charge) (Real Cost: 0) - END=[1 cc]
4u     5)  [b][i]Slow Metabolism[/i][/b]: Poison Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%, Hardened (x2; +1/2) (45 Active Points) - END=0
8     [b][i]Hyper-Metabolic Running[/i][/b]: Running +10" (8"/18" total) (20 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Linked (Hyper-Metabolism; -1/2) - END=
2     [b][i]Hyper-Metabolic Swimming[/i][/b]: Swimming +6" (4"/10" total) (6 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Linked (Hyper-Metabolism; -1/2) - END=
5     [b][i]Muscular Efficiency[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (5 Active Points) applied to STR - END=
4     [b][i]Muscular Efficiency (Part 2 of 2)[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (4 Active Points) applied to Running - END=
25     [b][i]Metabolic Efficiency[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Eating Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing 1 END per Turn; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Sleeping Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) - END=0
30     [b][i]Mystic Hyperskills[/i][/b]: Multipower, 45-point reserve,  (45 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) - END=
2u     1)  [b][i]Lost Among the Many[/i][/b]: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups , No Fringe, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Only Works In Crowds (-1), Requires A Stealth Roll at -4 (-1/2) - END=3
2u     2)  [b][i]Only So Many Paths[/i][/b]: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), No Retry Without New Information (+0) (45 Active Points); Precognition Only (-1), Requires A Deduction Roll at -4 (-1/2) - END=4
3u     3)  [b][i]All Things Have A Weakness[/i][/b]: Find Weakness 14- with All Attacks (45 Active Points); Requires A Deduction Roll at -4 (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) - END=4
2u     4)  [b][i]See The Pattern[/i][/b]: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), No Retry Without New Information (+0) (45 Active Points); Retrocognition Only (-1), Requires A Criminology Roll at -4 (-1/2) - END=4
2u     5)  [b][i]Move Unseen[/i][/b]: Teleportation 12", Position Shift, Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (43 Active Points); Requires A Stealth Roll at -4 (-1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4), no Noncombat movement (-1/4) - END=4
11     [b][i]Kevlar Lined Clothes[/i][/b]: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Half Mass (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) - END=0
4     [b][i]Hooded Justice (Flare Compensators)[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) - END=0
4     [b][i]Hooded Justice (Automatic Level Dampeners)[/i][/b]: Hearing Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) - END=0
7     [b][i]Hooded Justice (Radio)[/i][/b]: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As  Sight And Hearing As Well As Radio (-1/2), IIF (-1/4) - END=0
6     [b][i]Hooded Justice (Nightsight)[/i][/b]: (Total: 11 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) +4 PER with Sight Group (8 Active Points); Only to Counteract Darkness Penalties (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) [b]plus[/b] Detect Infrared Light 14-/18- (Sight Group) (3 Active Points); Linked (???; -1/2), IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 191[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Okinawan Karate
4      Wrist Chop:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 50 STR  / 65 STR to Disarm
4      Evade:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4      Knife Hand:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 2 1/2d6
4      Punch/Snap Kick:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 10d6 / 13d6 Strike
5      Side/Spin Kick:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 12d6 / 15d6 Strike
5      Thrusting Kick:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, 12d6 / 15d6 Strike
16      +4 HTH Damage Class(es)

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 42[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Jack of All Trades
0      1)  PS: Carpenter 11-
1      2)  PS: Cook (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  PS: Electrician (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  PS: Plumber (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  PS: Tailor (2 Active Points) 11-
3      Linguist
0      1)  Language:  English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
4      2)  Language:  French (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
4      3)  Language:  German (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
4      4)  Language:  Japanese (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
4      5)  Language:  Spanish (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
3      6)  Language:  Tanashim (fluent conversation; literate) (4 Active Points)
3      Traveler
1      1)  AK: Japan (2 Active Points) 11-
1      2)  AK: North America (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  AK: Northern Africa (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  AK: South Armerica (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  AK: Tanashim Empire (2 Active Points) 11-
1      6)  AK: Western Europe (2 Active Points) 11-
3      Breakfall 14-
1      Bureaucratics 8-
3      Criminology 14-
3      Deduction 14-
1      Electronics 8-
1      High Society 8-
2      KS: Karate 11-
3      KS: World History 14-
6      +4 World History (12 Active Points); Only For Events Since 1844 (-1)
1      KS: Magic 8-
3      Mechanics 14-
3      Paramedics 14-
5      Rapid Attack (HTH) 
1      SS:  Macro-Economics 8-
1      SS:  Sociology 8-
1      SS:  Statistics 8-
3      Shadowing 14-
7      Stealth 16-
1      Tactics 8-
3      Teamwork 14-
4      WF:  Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms
6      +2 with Karate

[b]SKILLS Cost: 100[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
2      Deep Cover (Alex Tramwell)
3      Contribution to Skeleton Crew Base
6      Contact:  Diamond (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 12-
2      Reputation:  Notable Mystery Man (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

[b]PERKS Cost: 13[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Distinctive Features:  Ego Signature, Embroidered Hankerchief (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10     Distinctive Features:  Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
5     Distinctive Features:  No Scarring (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses [Thorough Examination])
20     Hunted:  DEMON 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
20     Hunted:  VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
5     Hunted:  Vampire Hunter, Current Van Helsing (Heman Schreuber) 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)
5     Physical Limitation:  Mildly Anachronistic (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Chivalrous (Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Strong Reluctance to Kill (Common, Strong)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Honorable (Common, Moderate)
15     Reputation:  Notable Mystery Man, 14-
20     Social Limitation:  Secret ID, Currently Alex Tramwell (Frequently, Severe)
10     Susceptibility:  Metabolic Alterations 2d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 151
Total Exp Available: 145
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 501