Player problem - opinions ....

SirWilliam

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Player problem - opinions ....

You and I are in very different games. Most of the games Ive been in have had at least one couple form a relationship. Usually fantasy games are the least involved for "personal relationships"' date=' mostly due to lack of opportunity. Although there are often unspoken feelings in fantasy games, so I guess that counts.[/quote']

In our fantasy game, my character was a horn-dog who recently got married. Two of the PCs were knocking boots, but broke up when one died, was resurrected, realized how short life was and wanted to start a family (starting a family would put the female PC out of action so the simple demi-metagame solution was to break up as opposed to having her make a new PC). Two characters are short people (gnome and halfling) in mostly human lands, so they get no action. Another PC (male ranger) is pining after the barbarian villagers top archer (female).

In an Aeon game, my character has looks, style and animal magnetism, he sometimes gets information using the James Bond method, but also uses his smile to charm women into bending the rules for him.

So relationships can have a big impact on a game.

I've had similar experiences with people who are new to roleplaying; usually those who have a wargaming background (Warhammer, etc.). It's easy for them to view things as a win/lose situation, and easy for them to get their egos behind it. Even when there is good reason for the character to seriously turn on his former allies, a mature player will usually find more interesting ways to settle the matter in story rather than simply hacking them down with a sword.

You have two options as far as I can tell: 1.) do not game with the fellow again, or 2.) sit down and have a discussion with him about what bothered you and how you'd like the games to go, and bring him around to a more desirable gaming perspective over time. I went with the latter, mostly because there were no other gamers to choose from. :sigh: But the players in my case are fun to game with now, so I guess my gamble came out all right.

Hmmmm,...sounds to me a bit like the GM ran the whole encounter improperly. A single die roll to have a prostitute seduce a paladin, and a PC paladin at that? No. I've had several such issues involving paladins in both my AD&D games in the past and the "Fantasy Hero" game I run now. First of all, a paladin would not adventure with such a character as you describe your character to be. Well, at least not without a very good reason. Had I been playing the paladin I'd have attempted to convert the prostitute,..then you. Failing that I would have restrained her and challenged you to defend your actions. All in all,..it sounds like you had fun tormenting the paladin or the guy playing him and the GM lost control of the situation due to a lack of experience and a lack of knowledge as far as the rules are concerned.

You know, the more I think on this one, the more I think GM made bad moves.

I don't think Sir William made a bad move sending the young lady to his friend, but I have a hard time seeing her being hell bent on deflowering this Paladin. She was sent to make sure he had a good time, she wasn't doing this of her own volition, she could have easily taken no for an answer, and the GM should have allowed the Paladin to rebuke her.

The Paladin's player should have spoken up and said that he didn't think this was appropriate. Discussion should have occured.

The Murder Suicide was a big ball of angst that should never have happened.

I think the guy overreacted, and didn't make his feelings known in an apporpriate manner (-1 for paladin)

I think the GM was a bit cavalier and not allowing for roleplay (-1 for GM)

I think The spy who shagged me did what he would have done under normal circumstances (+1 for Rogue PC)

Sir William suffered for some GM bad decisions and PC noncommunication/overreaction.

I don't think Sir William made a bad move sending the young lady to his friend' date=' but I have a hard time seeing her being hell bent on deflowering this Paladin.[/quote']

Seeing an opportunity to deprive the opposition of one of their champions, the devil whispered into her ear "Imagine how much of a notch on your post it would be if you could seduce a holy man, a man of God, a paladin who normally resists temptations of the flesh." ;)

Now that I think about it, from what I know of strippers, she would probably try slightly, he would say now and she would figure, "great I got paid and I don't even need to touch his Mr. Happy.

Most strippers arn't that into their jobs unless they see some cash flowing their way. Exceptions/rules yadda yadda

Now that I think about it, from what I know of strippers, she would probably try slightly, he would say now and she would figure, "great I got paid and I don't even need to touch his Mr. Happy.

Most strippers arn't that into their jobs unless they see some cash flowing their way. Exceptions/rules yadda yadda

Exactly!