[TE] Tales of the Fearless Coward

Monolith

So long as he/she also doesnt get to join in the dying, its an even split ;)

Actually, however, that person could act as the eyes and ears of the group acting as tactical command, running the sensors to make sure more trouble doesnt appear on the horizon, etc. Think Gorman/Ridley from Aliens, or the General from Black Hawk Down for a cinematic example.

The TC doesnt HAVE to be inactive, and in fact shouldnt be.

It might be a good place for the Captain in this case, as he is in command, and also bcs he sounds wishy washy as a player. Thats classic Command & Control -- to have the Zero calling the shots be indecisive and muddled while the spooks manipulate events for thier own purposes ;)

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Wow. I must admit to being suprised at how gun happy the group is, popping caps into immobilized foes, particularly considering the situation.. Are the Akalians that psycho-aggressive that preemptive strikes are the only way to go?

Well, the Ackalians are very aggressive and dangerous. They like to keep attacking everyone and none the "empires," except for the Thorgons, seem to be able to tolerate them very well. Their entire culture is based on war and conflict. We play the Ackalians as bloodthirsty Klingons, but without the Klingon honor codes, and all the gender roles are reversed (women are in control in the Ackalian culture).

Also, if the group is trying to maintain a cover as smugglers, they should probably take something(s) of value from the ship that they are willing to dump on the black market when they leave to "justify" the absurd risk they took in approaching the ship in the first place -- not too many smugglers would siddle up next to a gunship for no profitable reason; there's no percentage in it. ;)

We are hoping to find a LOT of items to to add to our cargo holds. We need bargaining chips for Daber Mo'Ran. There is no way we can give him the Mandarrian energy crystal so everything we find on the ship (and possibly even the ship itself) will become part of a bargaining chip in that. Of course depending on what the purpose of this ship is we might just have to turn it over to the Imperial Navy and have them stock our cargo holds with "valuables" for Daber. It's still pretty early to tell though.

Finally, wouldnt it have been advisable to leave someone on the Fearless Coward as a rear guard/sentry/listening post? abanodining the ship like that practically screams "GM, screw us over please!"

I did not mention it in the earlier information, but we actually have a TMD-X drone named "Ms. Cleo" who takes care of the ship when we are not on it, and oversees things like cooking and cleaning, and basic entertainment. Ms. Cleo always has access to a couple of Laser Sentries and has instructions on what to do should things go bad. She's our fallback so that all the players can always be involved. :)

Keep the storyhours coming please; I love reading in game accounts like this :D

Hopefully we will actually get to something exciting next session. :)

Episode, er, Issue, er...Mission 7.2

Very innovative, Monolith, having the bad guys subdued, and the unkown (badder guys?) still a mystery away. Too bad about those Ackalian, but will the galaxy really miss them? Sound like another good time.

Reminds me of a situation in a star hero campaign I ran way back when. The crew detects a ship 'dead' in space. Upon closing, hooking to an airlock and boarding they see all these figures floating in zero G. Well, our captain is in front, and blocking the view, so the eager young space Marine behind him pulls the pin on the grenade in his hand, you know, just in case...

The Captain and I as GM have a short converation on the situation, seems everybody looks either out or maybe dead, at which point the Marine says, "OK, I'm throwing this grenade..."

Luckily the captain was able to, I guess difuse the situation would be the right words. After eveyone was back on board ship, he confronts the eager young space Marine with, "What's your problem? GRENADES your favorite weapon? Any other Psych Lims I should know about? Fear of being captured maybe?" That prompted the engineer to say, "You'll know when he screams, 'You're not taking me alive!! You're not taking me alive!!,' pulls the pin on half a dozen grenades and drops them..." To which our brave captain replied, "Yeah, apparantly, they're not taking me alive, either..."

Looking forward to the next...installment...

Big Rich

Originally posted by Monolith

In this case the ship belongs to the Imperial Navy. The PCs are just assigned to it. I really do not make players pay for things like group bases and group transports even in my Champions games; and I would never make them do it in a Star Hero game. The whole concept of paying for a group base or vehicle just seems very much out of genre to me. It is one thing for Batman to pay to have his private Batcave, but it is another thing entirely to make him pay for part of the JLA satellite, IMO.

I can see your point. It is also stifling to a GM when they have a great idea for a base and the players don't care one way or another.

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

Heh, Ms. Cleo.

"Intruders are approachin, Captain! Cahl me now!" :)

We went with Ms. Cleo because the GM can only do a Jamaican accent, and that is the accent he uses for the robots/androids (they all speak that way – I guess a senior programmer at TMD is Jamaican). If the GM could do a French accent we would have probably called her “Fefe.†:)

Originally posted by Agent X

I can see your point. It is also stifling to a GM when they have a great idea for a base and the players don't care one way or another.

I can agree with that. Players just want to know the basics: defense, weapons, security, etc. I think the GM is usually (not always, but usually) the most creative person within the group. The GM is also, usually, the person most adapt at the rules so it makes sense that the GM should design most of these things.

Also, since I tend to not give out a lot of experience (generally 3-5 per story arc, not per game session) during the game I do not want the players to have to spend them on things not directly associated with their characters. It always seemed to me that most bases and vehicles in comics are donations to the team anyway (with characters like Batman being the exception not the norm).

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

From where I sit, you're there already. ;)

We are all having a good time during the sessions, and I think that is the only really important thing no matter which game system you use. It is just when you are trying to write it up that you realize that you played 4 hours without a major conflict (which is fun to do, but probably not as much fun to read about). :)

Originally posted by Monolith

We are all having a good time during the sessions, and I think that is the only really important thing no matter which game system you use. It is just when you are trying to write it up that you realize that you played 4 hours without a major conflict (which is fun to do, but probably not as much fun to read about). :)

On the contrary, I'm having a blast -- hence my earlier comment about popcorn. :D

OTOH I'm the guy who was trying to get Steve to let me write what would effectively be CSI Hero, so maybe I'm not the best yardstick in this regard.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Don't worry, the suspense is kiilling us more effectively than SARS.....

I just returned from a 10 day vacation so the game was postponed. The next game session will be this coming Saturday, so with any luck a new update is not too much more than a week away. I am really looking forward to learning what is going on too. This has been the longest month of my gaming life. :)

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Oh yeah, and welcome back. Your frowning blue head was missed. ;)

Gee, if I knew it was going to be missed I would have loaned a few people my avatar pic. That way you would have seen the blue head everywhere. :)

The vacation was fun, but it is good to be back home. :D

• 1 month later...

Please continue your session write-ups. I am enjoying them a lot and hope you don’t mind if I steal this idea.

You posted something on this campaign a while back, I think it was when Star Hero first came out, and even then I thought, “Wow, what a great idea.â€

I know a lot of players have trouble taking orders from another player even when it is part of RP’ing. This can become especially tough when the player that is the highest rank is not a natural leader and/or has little tactical abilities. I have always had problems with this kind of thing in games where there should be issues of rank. However, I found a way to solve this issue.

I was reading the old “another RPG†(I think it was D20 Weird Wars from Pinnacle Entertainment which is an alternate WWII game) and they mentioned many of the problems listed above. Of course they pointed out that it is unrealistic for a group of military people to sit and discuss actions by democracy.

Their solution was simple, elegant, and very effective. When a situation comes up where the “Ranking Officer†would give an order the players discuss the situation OOC. (I would set a time limit for this.) When the group comes to a consensus on what should be done that is the orders that the “Ranking Officer†issues.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by BobGreenwade

What ever happened to this thread? I've been wondering what was going on with those Ackalians since the last chapter....:confused:

Sorry about that. I have all the notes for the last four sessions, I just have not written them up in an even remotely interesting format yet. Life has managed to get in the way over the last few months. Plus I have been spending some time writing a fantasy campaign so the GM can switch his d20 game over to Fantasy Hero. And if you know me, you know that I like the fantasy genre about as much as I like the chicken pox. :)

I will get the next session up as quickly as I can though. Promise!