Sonic Screwdrivers

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Sonic Screwdrivers

I do slightly remember Sylvester McCoy making some kind of mention of a war. But that could just be some kind of beer-induced flashback. :)

But yes, the first real concrete mention was the last couple episdoes with the Dalek where he mentioned a fleet of Daleks attacking Gallifrey. I'm still not quite sure of the timeline or exactly what happened. I'm hoping that this is something they tucked into the gap in series and will flesh out a bit over the next couple seasons.

And speaking of Daleks, I've been trying to figure the best way to build them. Technically, they're a creature inside a vehicle, but since they rarely (if ever) leave the vehicle (we've only fully seen the creature inside with the new series), they could also be built as a regular character (probably with some severe Physical Limitations).

I'd go with a small VPP, since it's used for so much (especially by the 9th and 10th Doctors)

* As a generic tool (Technical skills levels?)

* As a lockpick (but not versus "Deadock Seals")

* Traced a Teleporter (some form of Detect?), and recalled the Teleporter (Teleport as Attack?)

* As a bio/med scanner

* As a welder (mending a broken barb wire fence)

* Remotely activating the TARDIS

* Generating damaging sonic pulses (when plugged into a DJ turntable or a church pipe organ)

There were a couple of other weird SF tools inspired by the sonic screwdriver.

In the ST:TOS episode Assignment: Earth, Gary Seven uses a tool called a "servo", that has several functions.

In the mercifully short-lived series The Fantastic Journey, the 23rd Century scientist Varian uses a device called a "universal tool". In appearance it looks suspiciously like the multi tool used by Rem the android in the TV series Logan's run.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3ak.html#tools

• 2 weeks later...