Genre Question

Muawijhe

archer is correct - the Star HERO genre book has some very useful information on running this kind of sci-fi campaign.

I know that the fall is a long way off, but if you can be patient until then there's a new Star HERO campaign setting supplement on its way which sounds tailor made for what you want to do. To quote from the "Our Products" linked page:

Alien Wars: The second of our setting books for Star Hero describes the 24th century, when Humanity fought a terrible and destructive wars against the alien Xenovores who threatened its very existence. In detailing the history, technology, ships, and people of this time and place, Alien Wars also examines the subgenre of "military SF," providing ideas and suggestions for simulating it in HERO System terms.

Release Date: November 2003

The most obvious choices:

Star Hero

The Ultimate Vehicle

Less obvious:

Hero System Beastiary: For designing your alien creatures that the PC's will be blasting to smithereens.

The Spacer's Toolkit: (Coming Soon!) for gadgets, weapons, armor etc.

The Ultimate Martial Artist: Because its useful for every genre ('cept maybe Caveman Hero)

Terran Empire: If you need a ready-made campaign in which to set your Xeno-hunters exploits.

Hope that helps.

Following up on NuSoardGraphite's excellent suggestions: the Bestiary includes a number of "creatures" beyond animals which can be used right away for a sci-fi campaign: classic movie, tv and literary monsters of the genre, robots and androids, cyborgs, "giant space amoebas" and planet-destroying automatons, plus templates for hybrid human-animal creatures which can be the basis for sentient aliens. The book has many customizable options making it very versatile.

Wow! Lots of good advice. Thanks everyone who posted.

The Alien Wars is really spiffy, but since I have to wait, I think I'll start with Star HERO (to help define the Sci-Fi element at least) and the Ultimate Vehicle for all the nifty stuff they'll be driving around in, and facing off against. Thanks again!