A Killing Song

L. Marcus

Re: A Killing Song

Dirge of the Fallen:This haunting performance is so heart rending and tragic that those that hear is find their breath quite literally catches in their throats. The dirge of the fallen has been known to actually kill the audience.

Game Information: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, No Normal Defense (Defense is Self Contained Breathing or the Inability to feel sorrow; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1 1/2), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (39 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Spell (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), Voice Range Incantations (-1/2)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Song of Illusions: Sight , Hearing , Smell/Taste and Touch Groups Images Increased Size (2" radius; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (31 Active Points); Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), Voice Range Incantations (-1/2)

again, form the same bard.

True, that one is tougher to adjudicate, Mental illusions would probably work, better.

My main problem is that Mental powers usually have to be pretty high on the AP scale to be useful, even if the RP is low. which can make it touch to get into some campaigns iwth the character.

*fetches book* . . . I'd say it goes something like this:

Live Performance: Mental Illusions 1d6, Cumulative (+3/4), Area of Effect (8" radius; +1 3/4); 18 APts; Incantations (must sing throughout; -1/2), Gestures (must play instrument throughout; -1/2), OAF (instrument; -1 1/4), Extra Time (one minute; -1 1/2), Target Must Be Able To Hear Music (-1/4), Target Must Understand Language (-1/4); 3 APts [2 END]

Er... Images that are real & tangible would work just fine; how does coming into the middle of the song defeat the purpose?

Mostly a matter of flavour. The visions brought forth by the bard didn't actually take any physical form -- it was all in the heads of the audience.

Not near my books... but isn't it the other way around:

Mental Illusions wouldn't be seen by someone coming in the middle, Images would be.

That and Mental Illusions has a breakout roll, Images is merely, well, images.

And never forget that often forgot power:

Change Environment.

Works amazingly well if the song is merely to be watched and not interacted with. Though a few Combat Effects can make it "come to life" - a point of TK to "interact" a bit, some PER modifiers for other bits...

I know this is an old thread, but I have to contribute something here. The problem is that a Bard begins a song so moving that the audience actually experiences the events described: But somebody comes in late and wonders why everyone seems so entranced.

Pardon, but I don't see the problem. Just as somebody tuning into a show fiftenn minutes in doesn't know what is going on, so does our latecomer. However, as he sits and fidgets, he too will get into the story, just not right from the beginning. IOW, he won't see the illusion (regardless of whether it is mental, light, or CE), but will start to follow the plot after a few minutes.

He might wonder what is going on, if the "Elven Ballad effect" is not part of the usual show, but other than that?

Midas

I don't see the problem. Just as somebody tuning into a show fiftenn minutes in doesn't know what is going on' date=' so does our latecomer. However, as he sits and fidgets, he too will get into the story, just not right from the beginning.[/quote']

That's the flaw in Images. As written it would take a few minutes to get going, but then anyone who walked by would be able to see it right away, even if they had no intent on listening to the song.

If deaf, they might not even be aware that there was a song. The Images should, perhaps, also be Limited to "people who can understand and hear the lyrics".

I don't see the problem. Just as somebody tuning into a show fiftenn minutes in doesn't know what is going on, so does our latecomer. However, as he sits and fidgets, he too will get into the story, just not right from the beginning.

Robyn replies:

That's the flaw in Images. As written it would take a few minutes to get going, but then anyone who walked by would be able to see it right away, even if they had no intent on listening to the song.

If deaf, they might not even be aware that there was a song. The Images should, perhaps, also be Limited to "people who can understand and hear the lyrics".

Ah, the problem isn't that a bypasser wouldn't experience the song, but that he *would.*

Ok, how about some kind of graduaded effect? Bypasser hears a cool song. He keeps going, possibly humming the few bars he has just heard, or he becomes a bystander. As a bystander, he thinks the song is really moving, and decides to listen some more. Third phase, he starts to see what the singer is trying to convey, but it is obviously just gossimer. Fourth phase of hearing, he really gets into the music, though he might wonder who some of the people he sees are. To be traditional and complicate things even more:D, would that be the singer's phases, or the listeners'?

Midas

To be traditional and complicate things even more:D' date=' would that be the singer's phases, or the listeners'?[/quote']

Whichever is slowest. The listener must make sense of the words at their own speed, but there is a limit to how quickly the words can be uttered; a speedster listening to two syllables of a word won't grasp the entire song.

To complicate things even more, talking is a zero-phase action :P

The Bard's Paradox: if talking is a 0-phase action, and each song takes time to perform, how can bards ever finish their song?

Mechnically it goes at the Singer's phases/speed.

Dramatically it should go at both. I would say the Listener has to be present for several Phases that the Singer is performing. Or, if Gradual is used whatever time increment is set for the effect to take place on.

The Killing Song: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6' date=' Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense (Being Deaf or Hearing Flash Def; +1), Does BODY (+1), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (94 Active Points); OAF: Instrument (-1), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; -1), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2), Requires A Bardic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2) [19 Real Points, 4 END']

(Edit: Added Gradual Effect, which enables the Attack to do Damage every Full Minute the song is played, instead of every Phase)

I'm not sure how I would rule the IPE. I understand that the intent is to make the effects of the power fully invisible...but having the target not know they are taking damage seems to stretch things for me.

I think I would almost rather go with an RKA that takes Extra Time. Maybe Continuous, maybe AF, not quite sure.