Help with a Character Concept – The Energy Form

McManus

How to build a character that assumes a form of pure energy?

I am trying to build a character with two forms. The normal form and an energy form. In the energy form the character has numerous powers, but also has some limitations. She glows somewhat brightly, constantly produced a crackling sound (when not in vacuum), produces some heat and a little radiation (not enough to be dangerous but enough to make some people nervous). She is also the size of a small bus (say DCV-3).

I originally thought of using a OHID limitation on several of the powers and putting side effects on the powers in the form. This seems to fit the Hero ID norm. There is a disadvantage to being in the ID and a reason for her hot to stay in it all the time.

But in the Energy form I figure she has only limited ways of manipulating matter. She can affect it with her energy attacks (including TK), but her base form STR seems useless. Can I buy the STR with a Not in HID limitation?

Should I instead create the character as a multiform? I picture her as having all the same skills in energy form as in base form, but some of her physical skills may be useless in a non-physical body. In the end the Multiform seems like a more expensive way to have two forms that using OHID. Basically one is a disadvantage and one is an advantage.

When do you use OHID v. Multiform?

Can you give examples from the comics?

Thanks.

Re: Help with a Character Concept – The Energy Form

If you go with Multiform, be careful on how you do it. Take it step by step on how you build the C at each stage, that way as you go you might find reasons to change what you did before, or you might find that you need to change what you need to do next.

Please forgive me for pressing. This is something I still don’t understand.

What is the difference between OHID and Multiform? When do you use one instead of the other?

Let’s take some comic book examples – five people that transform from one form to another. Which a build would you use and why?

Captain Marvel/Billy Batson – The original transformer

The Hulk/Bruce Banner – Grey, green, or the Professor

Sasquatch / Walter Langkowski – same personality/different forms

The Demon/Jason Blood – different personalities/different forms

Colossus/Peter Rasputin – There do seem to be more of these guys in Marvel than DC

And from TV – Danny Phantom and the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers

PS: Is this the wrong forum. Should this go to Hero System Questions? Thanks.

Please forgive me for pressing. This is something I still don’t understand.

What is the difference between OHID and Multiform? When do you use one instead of the other?

To me, OIHID is for abilities the original character can add on by assuming his heroic ID.

Let’s take some comic book examples – five people that transform from one form to another. Which a build would you use and why?

Captain Marvel/Billy Batson – The original transformer

The initial Billy Batson ID becomes larger, stronger, able to fly, etc., etc. But the original Billy is still down there running the show. That's a classic OIHID, to me.

The Hulk/Bruce Banner – Grey' date=' green, or the Professor[/quote']

Multiform. The two characters are different in almost all ways. The Hulk gains physical power, but loses intellect and skills. They have different memories, different personalities - two entirely different beings locked in one physical structure. The Professor is another matter - he had neither OIHID nor Multiform, as he remained in Hulk form enjoying the intellect and skills of Banner Form. Quite the radiation accident.

Sasquatch / Walter Langkowski – same personality/different forms

OIHID for exactly the reasons you stated (see Captain Marvel).

The Demon/Jason Blood – different personalities/different forms

Multiform for exactly the reasons you stated (see Hulk). The Obsidian Age JL arc showed how effective Blood is even without his alter ego.

Colossus/Peter Rasputin – There do seem to be more of these guys in Marvel than DC

OIHID - ads a few powers to the underlying base character.

And from TV – Danny Phantom and the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers

I don't know Danny Phanton and am only vaguely familiar with the Power Rangers. The latter I'd call OIHID.

I would use OIHID for supers who simply add on to the base character. I would use multiform for characters who are radically different in their heroic ID, and/or require different disadvantages or lower/different stats.

Basically, OIHID is good for supers who just "power up", and multiform is good for supers who really change.

I guess given all the differences, I might do yours as a multiform, though it's one of those that is close enough that probably neither would be glaringly wrong.

-Nate

I don't know Danny Phanton and am only vaguely familiar with the Power Rangers. The latter I'd call OIHID.

Danny Phantom is a kid who had an accident with a dimensional portal and developed "ghost powers". By and large, before he fights villains, he pulls an energy transform to a "ghost" form that looks different and gives him easier access to his powers. If he uses too much power at once or takes too much damage, he reverts back to being normal.

I'd call it OIHID, especially since he uses some of his powers without transforming (we've seen the little energy blast out of his finger several times) and his arch-nemesis, who's had about twenty years to practice with the same basic power set, regularly uses the same powers without invoking the ghost form. (I don't think we've seen Danny use desol or invisibilty without the ghost form, but we have seen Vlad do so.)

• 2 years later...

I watched Danny Phantom (what it was really well written cartoon for a Nick show) I would make him OIHID, the only powers I haven't seen him use are the ones he has issues controlling, those being his cryokinesis (cold projection) duplication (he never did get this one right as far as I could tell) ghostly wail (cone attack, probably killing as it destroyed everything and anyone not wearing something to counteract it which amounted to 2 people, he could do it once maybe twice by the end of the series before reverting to human) and any of his base line super human statistics (he was super strong fast durable etc). When I actually tried building him I found the number of powers he possessed was ridiculous and difficult to build at 350, which leads me to believe he was at first 350 and had about 100+ XP by the time the series was done.