Spark (Girl Genius) Template/Package

Susano

SPARK (A.K.A. MADBOY/GIRL) BASIC TEMPLATE

[b]Abilities
Cost	Ability[/b]
5	[b]Thinks Different:[/b]  +5 INT
6	[b]“Bwahahaha!!!”:[/b]  +3 EGO
2	[b]“Those Fools!”:[/b]  +5 PRE; Defensive PRE Only (-1)
3	[b]Plays With Lightning:[/b]  Electronics (INT)
1	[b]“That’s Not How It Works!”:[/b]  Inventing 8-
3	[b]Mechanical Genius:[/b]  Mechanics (INT)
3	[b]“Such Lovely Calculations!”:[/b]  Lightning Calculator
3	[b]Mad Science Is My Forte!:[/b]  SS:  Electronic Engineering, SS:  Mathematics,  
SS:  Mechanical Engineering
3	[b]Intuitive Grasp Of Complex Things:[/b]  Scientist
[b]Total Cost Of Package Abilities:  28

Disadvantages
Value	Disadvantage[/b]
(var)	Hunted:  (varies -- includes other Sparks, Baron von Wulfenbach, and local villagers; 
may be a Watched)
5	Reputation:  Madboy/girl 8-
[b]Total Cost Of Package Disadvantages:  5[/b]

This represents the basic starting template for a Spark as seen in the comic Girl Genius. Sparks seem, for the most part, to think quickly and efficiently, are confident in their skills and inventions, and tend to be unfazed by opposition. Top-end Sparks, such as Agatha, Gil, and herr Baron (among others), can easily redesign and rebuild inventions on the fly and often can spot errors and issues with a new gadget simply by looking at a schematic. The Spark also seems to grant an intuitive understand of basic mathematics and engineering, allowing Spark to start building things even if they lack formal training.

Of course, this is a only a basic template and is geared more toward PC-level Sparks. Low-end Sparks (like the ones in Master Payne's Circus of Adventure) might be missing some or all of these skills -- but probably keep the increased Characteristics. High-End sparks (Agatha, Gil, Baron von Wulfenbach, the Heterodyne boys), have even higher Characteristics (herr Baron has an INT of 25-30, his son and Agatha are both 20-25), skill levels to match, and will have scads of science skills of all sorts -- basic engineering, biology, chemistry, physics, and so on.

It should be pointed out that many Sparks, especially low-end one, specialized. Thus, we see Sparks who work with food, sound, music, and various forms of shoes (yes, you can have comic-relief sparks). In addition, many Sparks, if not all, or more than a bit off, and some are downright crazy. Since the Spark is also known as the Gift, the Touch, the Curse, the Madness, the Doom, and so on, and Sparks are often referred to (behind their backs) as “Madboys/Madgirls,” one gets an idea of what it’s like to be a Spark (Megalomania seems to be a common issue with Sparks).

As a final note, when building a top-end Spark, think big. A powerful Spark will have a large Gadget Pool of assorted Weird Science devices, a Base with plenty of labs, Vehicles (or all sorts), Followers (clanks and constructs), Wealth (defined as their territory), and should be more than a match for a small army.

Re: Spark (Girl Genius) Template/Package

Good stuff! Now stat out the Jagermonsters.

Ugh...

STR 30 (one lifted an entire wagon over his head)

DEX -- good

CON -- really high

BODY -- ditto

INT -- 10+

EGO 8-10+

PRE -- 20

COM -- 6-8

PD -- high

ED -- ditto

SPD 3-4

REC

END

STUN

Running +1"

HKA claws

HKA teeth

WF: Lots

Damage Reduction versus Phys & Energy

Disrcrim. Smell

Can hang by the neck for days.

Can be killed by slaver wasps (seen in Vol III).

Quote: "Ve Hunt!"

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/gg101.cgi?date=20060203

I'd give them regeneration as well. Also Psych Lim: actively seeks out danger and violence and Psych Lim: Easily enamoured of female psychos (Von Pinn). LS: Immune to most poisons and diseases as well. Possibly also the various automaton advantages (such as no hit locations).

I also suspect Sparks should have a VPP, and also either mind control or very high presence (people tend to obey them)

Slightly revised package:

Abilities
Cost	Ability
5	Thinks Different:  +5 INT
6	“Those Fools, I’ll Show Them!â€:   +3 EGO
5	“Bwahahaha!!!â€: +5 PRE
3	“You’ve Built It All Wrong!â€:  Analyze (Weird Science Device) (INT)
3	Plays With Lightning:  Electronics (INT)
1	“What Do You Think Of This!â€:  Inventing 8-
3	Mechanical Genius:  Mechanics (INT)
3	“Such Lovely Calculations!â€:  Lightning Calculator
3	Mad Science Is My Forte!:  SS:  Electronic Engineering, SS:  Mathematics, SS:  
Mechanical Engineering (all 11-)
3	Intuitive Grasp Of Complex Things:  Scientist
Total Cost Of Package Abilities:  35

Disadvantages
Value	Disadvantage
(var)	Hunted:  (varies -- includes other Sparks, Baron von Wulfenbach, and local villagers; may 
be a Watched)
5	Reputation:  Madboy/girl 8-
Total Cost Of Package Disadvantages:  5

This is SO cool, rep for ya. I was wondering when someone was going to get around to doing some GG stuff.

One minor quibble. I've only read the online stuff, but GG is supposed to be a victorian and gaslamp story, yes? It even harkens back to the early 19th century and Shelley's Frankenstein. As such, I think Electronics isn't right. Even Electrical Engineering might be a stretch. I'd give the Mad Boyz (and Grls) Physics instead, to represent the very fundamental knowlege they have. If they build something that looks like electronics, well that's because it's Mad Science!!

The entire series of Girl Genius, and all the radioplays are available online. The only way to get more information is to buy the roleplaying game when it comes out.

There are two main branches of Spark : Mechanical Sparks and Organic Sparks. It really is easy to determine based on what kind of giant monster they create to terrorise the world.

This is SO cool, rep for ya. I was wondering when someone was going to get around to doing some GG stuff.

One minor quibble. I've only read the online stuff, but GG is supposed to be a victorian and gaslamp story, yes? It even harkens back to the early 19th century and Shelley's Frankenstein. As such, I think Electronics isn't right. Even Electrical Engineering might be a stretch. I'd give the Mad Boyz (and Grls) Physics instead, to represent the very fundamental knowlege they have. If they build something that looks like electronics, well that's because it's Mad Science!!

There's enough stuff with electricity to warrant it -- granted, it is "primitive" electrical engineering, but they do it to some extent.

Another fun snippet of conversation:

You don't seem too worried...

About being a prisoner? Well, I do admit it's inconvenient, but I'll escape eventually. I AM the Hero, after all. And YOU are just what I need.

An audience?

Ye- NO!

I checked through a few Wikipedia entries. The American Institute of Electrical Engineers was founded in 1884. That organization is now IEEE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Institute_of_Electrical_Engineers

Dr. Nikola Tesla, a mad boy if there ever was one, was born in 1856 and died in 1943. He was doing what I would call electrical engineering around the 1884 time mentioned above.

Meanwhile, good ol' Wikipedia defines the Victorian era as 1837 to 1901. That makes AIEE, Tesla, Edison, et. al., rather late in the Victorian era. I guess it depends where in the time you define your Mad Science to exist, but the Electical Engineering skill still feels a bit advanced, to me, for a Victorian era game.

I'm not trying to say "you're wrong" or anything, I'm just adding some thoughts to help define the setting. A well trained physicist should be able to do everything a 19th cent. electrical engineer could do, and a good deal more besides.

Personally, I think I would give Electical Engineering to a minor spark (it's a much narrower field, ie, you know *less*) and a strong Physics skill to the major sparks like Agatha, Klaus, etc.

It's only vaguely like our Earth. Power sources give much more power, as well as other laws of physics have been changed.

I wouldn't attempt to add any history to it.

Well, that's actually a good point. I guess I have to concede that one. ;)

A true challenge would be the stats of Klaus Wulfenbach or the Jagergenerals.

Klaus is never wrong, has been seen one punching a Jager and may be a construct...

The Jagergenerals are different from the run of the mill Jager being, oh 3 - 4 times the physical size of a normal Jager...

On the jager stats they need to have a weapon proficiency of choice, teamwork and tactics when they really want to do damage as a group. A resent GG online 'Advance class' shows one Jager launching two other Jagers over the heads of oncoming enemies with his unique pole arm and breaking the neck of one of the enemies with a kick. (Neat trick for Oggie).

A true challenge would be the stats of Klaus Wulfenbach or the Jagergenerals.

Klaus is never wrong, has been seen one punching a Jager and may be a construct...

30 INT. Has to be.

I'd be inclined to make the buffer Sparks VPP, definitely. After all, they not only make gadgets, they also often screw with them in various ways. Not sure how to quantify the superskills they often pull out ( in fact, maybe the Spark power is "superskill" actually, its just it gets exploited primarily for advanced science? ).