Final Fantasy potions and items and Monsters

Scion Zane

Well I was board and I have ran a FF game but never got around to working on the potions and items and monsters. I had some write ups of an item or two and a few criters, but nothing really major

here are some of the items

Potion: (healing) BODY/STUN +1/2, 3d6 =30pts, OAF -1, Fragile -1/4, gestures (drinking) -1/4, Charges (1) -2, 14pts or 14gill

Hi-potion (healing) BODY/STUN +1/2, 6d6 =60pts, OAF -1, Fragile -1/4, gestures (drinking) -1/4, Charges (1) -2, 26pts or 26 gill

X-potion (healing) Body/stun +1/2, 12d6 = 120pts, Oaf -1, Fragile -1/4, Gestures (drinking) -1/4, Charges (1) -2, 54pts or 54 gill

Ether (healing) END 3d6 =30pts, OAF -1, Fragile -1/4, gestures (drinking) -1/4, Charges (1) -2, 9pts or 9 gill

I hope you dont Judge to harshly!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Final Fantasy potions and items and Monsters

Phenx down: 3d6(healing Body)=30pts, 4d6 Major transform from dead to alive=60pts, OAF -1, Fragile -1/4, gestures (drinking) -1/4, Charges (1) -2,works on curent body+1, 51pts or 51gill but I would rais eit to 500gill in my games

That looks pretty good Scion. I happen to be playing FF5 on my PS2 right now actually. Of course you also need:

Soft: Major Transform Stone to Flesh

Cornucopia: Growth (only to counteract shrinking)

Maiden's Kiss: Major Tranform Frog to Human

Elixir: combination of potion and ether with LOTS of dice to make sure it fills them all the way up

Antidote: Dispel poison

Holy Water: Major Transform Zombie to Human

Esuna (spell): All of the above! Quite pricy hehe

Good luck.

Good scaling, but if you want the items to really reflect the game, I'd make a couple changes

X-Potion - Make it either a LOT bigger and standard effect or make it a transform person to completely healed person. 12d6 will usually heal all the damage someone (esp a normal/heroic character) has taken, but if the big, brutal knight with 20 body and 50 stun just got knocked to -10 body and -60 stun by a really nasty critical headwound after some milder beating, that 12d6 isn't gonna come close to cutting it. He might regain conciousness, but its doubtful.

Ether - For the reall FF feel, either make everyone take an END reserve or tack on a MANA stat (thats what we did in our FF style game). An ether should make you able to cast spells and use special abilities again, and shouldn't be useful in a foot-race or for sword swinging.

Phoenix Down - I'd say something similar to the X-Potion. A PhD (like the acronym?) can bring you back from the dead just about no matter what. Sword through the heart? Poisoned arrows? Been disintigrated? No problem, as long as a friend has a Phoenix Down handy. I'd go for a REALLY big resurrection (hey, its expendable equipment, so they are aren't paying character points for them, right?) like 12-20d6, and then limit it so that it cant bring them above positive 2-3d6. So they'll have 1-3 body and 5-10 stun/END after a PhD.

Just a few suggestions, feel free to ignore them.

PS - If you have more FF Hero stuff, I'd love to see it.

Hey, yeah - x-potion isn't the one that heals you full (been a while since I've had time to play anything but FF tactics) thanks for the heads-up, Erkenfresh.

I'd also encourage a transform for Esuna-style stuff - or a healing with +2 advantage (everything but body&stun)

I just thought of something' date=' in most FF games you can use potions on undead to damage them, or phoenix down to kill them. So you might want to work in a EB or RKA (only against undead).[/quote']

I think that usually works as a disadvantage on the undead - Most SFx of healing damage them instead (Physical Common, Major, 15 points).

I just thought of something' date=' in most FF games you can use potions on undead to damage them, or phoenix down to kill them. So you might want to work in a EB or RKA (only against undead).[/quote']

Yes you can use potions and X-potions on undead but istead of adding eb or ka I was going to give the undead weakness to any healing. so what ever dammage that would be heald would do dammage to undead as part of thier limitation

As for metria they usely did some form of stat boost + give an element attack or defence depending how you equiped it. As for Vpp i would nnt use. I used a Multipower pool for it, and I gave it its own exp to help it grow depending on use and dammage

That looks pretty good Scion. I happen to be playing FF5 on my PS2 right now actually. Of course you also need:

Soft: Major Transform Stone to Flesh

Cornucopia: Growth (only to counteract shrinking)

Maiden's Kiss: Major Tranform Frog to Human

Elixir: combination of potion and ether with LOTS of dice to make sure it fills them all the way up

Antidote: Dispel poison

Holy Water: Major Transform Zombie to Human

Esuna (spell): All of the above! Quite pricy hehe

Good luck.

as for this just have not goten to them yet LOL

Bomb:

Description: A big Flaming ball of fire, with eyes and mouth.

30 Str 20pts

15 Dex 15pts

16 Con 12pts

16 Body 12pts

8 Int +2

10 Ego 0

15 Pre 5pts

8 Com +1

6 PD

6 ED 3pts

2.5 SPD

16 Rec

32 End

29 stun

2 over all combat skill level 20pts

Has no ground movement flight only 12pts for 6†of flight

4d6 Energy Blast 20pts: damage shield +1/2, Continues +1, zero end +1/2 =40 pts

Bite Hka 1d6+1=20pts

Firespell attack Rka: 4d6 20pts,

Self destructed: 4d6 EB. 20pts, area effect radius +11/4, Explosion +.75 40Pts

Absorption to Self destructed on physical attacks -1/4: 5d6=25pts: one minet+1/4,

Special notes all fire attacks heal bomb +2

Weakness cold attacks:-20pts

Pts 463pts

well here is my first attempt at the bomb critter

I was just thinking about Phoenix Down and someone said earlier it's the cure for any death:

"A PhD (like the acronym?) can bring you back from the dead just about no matter what. Sword through the heart? Poisoned arrows? Been disintigrated? No problem, as long as a friend has a Phoenix Down handy."

I have to disagree with this statement. Too often in the Final Fantasy series, a certain character is hurt badly or dies. *SPOILER LOL* Take for example Aeris from FF7. They didn't just sprinkle some Phoenix Down on her and bring her back. She was DEAD.

I think you might want to distinguish perma-dead from KO. They started using KO at some point, at least on or before FF5. This might mean less than 0 BODY but not yet dead. That's really your call.

Here's some spell write-ups I came up with too (not the easy ones like Fire and Bolt2):

Demi: Killing Attack - Ranged 10d6 (standard effect: 30 BODY, 60 STUN) (150 Active Points); Only up to half the target's STUN/BODY (-1/2)

Demi 2: Killing Attack - Ranged 10d6 (standard effect: 30 BODY, 60 STUN) (150 Active Points); Only up to 75% the target's STUN/BODY (-1/2)

Poison: Energy Blast 1d6, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Uncontrolled (Lasts up to 2 minutes; +1/2), Continuous (Cure is antidote potion or spell; +1), No Normal Defense (Immunity to Poison; +1) (19 Active Points)

White Wind: Healing BODY 7d6 (standard effect: 21 points), Area Of Effect (7" Radius; +1) (140 Active Points); Only up to caster's current BODY (-1/2)

Unfortunately, they cost a whole lotta points and END. But, that's what happens when you deal with absolutes. ;)

Oh heavens. I'm going to have my work cut out for me when I do this, aren't I? Anyway, it won't be the only FF Conversion on the block. Where'd I put my pants? Oh yes, here they are.

In Final Fantasy you can assume 'KO' status at either 0 BODY/0 STUN or simply 0 BODY; you then fall down. A PhxD (a slightly clearer acronym) then is a Transform - you into healed, concious you, only to 1/2 of maximum values.

The reason I haven't started this project yet is three fold:

1) Which freaking version do I use? Tactics? Tactics Advance? VII? IX? X-2 (yay! Final Barbie Fantasy!).

2) What are the key elements that say to me, Thia, "This is Final Fantasy." It's SO open ended, and they've told 17 or so different stories, that it's very, very difficult to pin it down past simply the items and a few memorable creatures.

3) So while I've neatly panicked myself into not moving, I am at least taking notes. And when the notes are done, I'll find some thread and shake it upside down for everyone to look at.

I'd say Tactics would be the closest approximation to Hero. I think this simply because in Tactics, you're walking your dudes around the top-down view battlefield. Also, area effect spells hit friend and foes alike (except for those friendly Summons of course).

The traditional side view Final Fantasy doesn't map quite as well. Then again, there are some oddities in FFT, like armor adds HPs instead of resistance to damage. Then again, you get some super kewl talents like this that only show up in FFT:

Throw Items: Ranged (+1/2); Range Based On Strength (-1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of Items (24 Active Points)

Why deal in Absolutes, though, Erkenfresh? There's no point in trying to sim Final Fantasy, that way lies madness. Better, then, to use Hero to build mechanics and let the flavor take care of itself.

Alchemy is a Job in both Tactics games; so you have Alchemists who are making potions which are carried by adventures who don't always have a White Mage handy. Are you going to go with spell roster/lists or let people learn by equipping items (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Final Fantasy IX, etc.)? If they equip the item, and the item is Independent, do you then simply let them 'buy' the power for the listed Real Points? Do you give them a discount?

The other thing is, under that system, what you can do in Hero that you cannot do anywhere else, is give out XP - Only To Purchase Item Abilities. Xp only works on items that are equipped. Expect to receive 3 to 5 XP per fight, to spend among your chakra items (hat, chest, gloves, boots, weapon, accessory 1 & 2) as you see fit.

Good heavens. Thanks, Erkenfresh. You just totally unintentionally solved my problem.

For example:

5 Bow of Thorns: Improved Aim, +4 PSLs; only for called shots (-1/2), Only With Ranged Weapons (-1/2), Independent (-2)

The game would follow a few house rules. One, no 'head shots.' It isn't very Final Fantasy; so any shot to a limb would only be to disable it. Shooting someone in the head only blinds them or dizzies/stuns them; otherwise the fights would be over quickly with some of the equipment that gets tossed around.

You'd also put together 'trees' - see note above, 'only for ranged weapons.' So your ranged combatant is tangibly different from your melee fighter, who has zippy in common with the Black or White mages, but may have something in common with the Red Mage.

You can also build a series of Jobs and their progressions, and who can learn what. The key to keeping it Hero and not d20? You can change jobs whenever you like, so long as you meet the pre-requisites for it. Want Sniper? You need 100 points in Archer. Knight? 100 points in Soldier, 100 points in Warrior, 100 points in Defender. And so on.

This means that the average DM will be giving out XP like CANDY in this system, but - like most things in Hero - since you'd only spend XP on the powers that you have access to, it balances itself out.

NOW I know how I'll build it.

I like the bomb' date=' the only thing I'd add is some Resistant Defenses - right now a sword cuts through it like butter. And it makes it easy to upgrade to grenade - just change the explosion from EB to KA![/quote']

well the dammage absorbtion should bleed off some of the dammage.

yes for the Grenade veriant is just add armor 6 pd 3pts 6 Ed 3pts hardend +1/2, 12pts

I agree change EB to Ka to repasent the shrapnel

I was just thinking about Phoenix Down and someone said earlier it's the cure for any death:

"A PhD (like the acronym?) can bring you back from the dead just about no matter what. Sword through the heart? Poisoned arrows? Been disintigrated? No problem, as long as a friend has a Phoenix Down handy."

I have to disagree with this statement. Too often in the Final Fantasy series, a certain character is hurt badly or dies. *SPOILER LOL* Take for example Aeris from FF7. They didn't just sprinkle some Phoenix Down on her and bring her back. She was DEAD.

I think you might want to distinguish perma-dead from KO. They started using KO at some point, at least on or before FF5. This might mean less than 0 BODY but not yet dead. That's really your call.

I agree some times a Phd will not work. So that becomes a gm plot device.

Oh heavens. I'm going to have my work cut out for me when I do this, aren't I? Anyway, it won't be the only FF Conversion on the block. Where'd I put my pants? Oh yes, here they are.

In Final Fantasy you can assume 'KO' status at either 0 BODY/0 STUN or simply 0 BODY; you then fall down. A PhxD (a slightly clearer acronym) then is a Transform - you into healed, concious you, only to 1/2 of maximum values.

The reason I haven't started this project yet is three fold:

1) Which freaking version do I use? Tactics? Tactics Advance? VII? IX? X-2 (yay! Final Barbie Fantasy!).

2) What are the key elements that say to me, Thia, "This is Final Fantasy." It's SO open ended, and they've told 17 or so different stories, that it's very, very difficult to pin it down past simply the items and a few memorable creatures.

3) So while I've neatly panicked myself into not moving, I am at least taking notes. And when the notes are done, I'll find some thread and shake it upside down for everyone to look at.

LOL all I am doing is takeing what I like other wise I will go freaking nuts trying to do it all. But lucky for me NSg is also working on a FF game as well. Grr to bad I lost my old FF gamemaps and information I had. I jad a realy cool story ask NSG. But now I can revamp and do it again hehehe (evile laugh)

I'm talking about FFT on the PS1. Old School! I played it through a couple of times this year just for old times sake.

I was thinking a large portion of the XP should go to buying more BODY. Heck, just take STUN out of the game, it has no place in Final Fantasy. Anyway, at the end of each fight or session you would do something like "You get 5 XP, plus 5 points to spend on BODY or MANA as you choose". And, of course, no NCM, that's preposterous.

You could even say that when you hit certain levels of XP your character "levels" and you get a huge bonus of BODY, MANA, STR, etc. Of course, these could be based on your current job too. ;)