Confusion about Ablative

Badger

Re: Confusion about Ablative

Imagine you're wearing your nice "bulletproof" vest and you get shot. But, when this vest gets hit a big chunk of it flies off. Now, there's a hole in your vest. Should they hit the same spot, there's no protection there to help you. This is how ablative works. The first hit has no activation roll, it always works. After that, the activation roll becomes harder and harder to succeed until the vest just falls apart and becomes worthless.

Generally, an ablative defense needs to be repaired or replaced after each use. But, this is not true of the force fields used in Terran Empires which simply need to be shut off for a few minutes to recharge.

Ok

Need to ask one more about it. To clarify: If the blast hits and does more damage than the armor can stand, it will do damage to the wearer right? Since it is stormtrooper like, say during the battle of Endor, Han shoots you with that RKA (you know his blaster ;) ) it can penetrate and injure you right? I am pretty sure of this (it seems logical, anyway) but, when reading about ablative it always confuses this issue with me.

Right Ablative Armor is just DEF that reduces the amount of damage that you take. After each time it has been used/penetrated, the chance of it working goes down( i.e. it gets an activations roll that gets harder to pass).

If you're looking for armor that works completely until it is gone, then maybe consider buying BODY, OIF, not affected by character's defences, sfx Armor.

Hmm, let me expand on that. The activation roll doesn't deplete unless the attack penetrates the armor. So, if Han shoots the Storm Trooper and the blast is weaker this time (he rolls low for damage), and the Trooper takes no damage, then there's no "hole". His armor will continue to act the same as before.

Ok

Need to ask one more about it. To clarify: If the blast hits and does more damage than the armor can stand, it will do damage to the wearer right? Since it is stormtrooper like, say during the battle of Endor, Han shoots you with that RKA (you know his blaster ;) ) it can penetrate and injure you right? I am pretty sure of this (it seems logical, anyway) but, when reading about ablative it always confuses this issue with me.

Damage in excess of your defenses will both injure the person wearing the armour and the armour itself if it is ablative. If it is not ablative, then the armour won't be damaged (significantly), but the person wearing it still takes the damage.

Hmm' date=' let me expand on that. The activation roll doesn't deplete unless the attack penetrates the armor. So, if Han shoots the Storm Trooper and the blast is weaker this time (he rolls low for damage), and the Trooper takes no damage, then there's no "hole". His armor will continue to act the same as before.[/quote']

That is correct.

Just a clarification...

Stormtrooper armor isn't really armor. Han punched a stormtrooper right in his helmetted face and it didn't even seem to hurt his hand. I mean, midgets with stone axes seemed as effective as blasters. Ever seen a stormtrooper stay standing when he got shot? Didn't think so.

Sorry to go on a tangent.