Real-World Batman tech

FenrisUlf

Re: Real-World Batman tech

This isn't quite new--back in the days of the barnstormers, there were a special kind of wing-walkers called "Batmen"--

"Batmen" were another group of wing walkers who specialized in a different type of barnstorming stunt called "soaring." Men like Jimmie Goodwin, Cliff Rose, and Clem Sohn, among others, constructed special costumes (usually made primarily of canvas or a similar material), complete with wings. They would then jump from an airplane and soar most of the way down to the ground before opening their parachutes. The feat was a particular crowd pleaser.

No idea whether Bob Kane had ever heard of them.

Here's the page--

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Explorers_Record_Setters_and_Daredevils/wingwalkers/EX13.htm

(I tried to find an image, but there were none online. A shame, because I remember seeing a picture of a batman in a book about barnstormers, and it looked really cool.)

So while the idea isn't new, this is, to my knowledge, the first military application.

• 2 weeks later...